Station "Suicides" - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Station "Suicides"

Quote Originally Posted by K.M. Richards View Post
    Yes, WRKS was a big station throughout the 80's.
    98.7 will forever be part of NY Radio history in the 80s. I wish someone could make a website out of it.

THIS JUST IN:

There has been a possible station "suicide" in Miami. WMXJ-FM just let go of airstaff and there could be a format change on the way according to RadioInsight and the Miami Herald. Also, according to Radio-Online, the reason this is a VERY BIG "SUICIDE" is because they are in the Top 10 in a Top 20 market, #6 to be exact as of November and it's the only classic hits station in South Florida. WILL THIS LEAVE MIAMI AS THE BIGGEST MARKET W/O A CLASSIC HITS STATION?!

RadioInsight: https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...ami-flip-next/

Miami Herald: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/busi...e48621735.html

Radio-Online: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb429

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan7157 View Post
    THIS JUST IN:

There has been a possible station "suicide" in Miami. WMXJ-FM just let go of airstaff and there could be a format change on the way according to RadioInsight and the Miami Herald. Also, according to Radio-Online, the reason this is a VERY BIG "SUICIDE" is because they are in the Top 10 in a Top 20 market, #6 to be exact as of November and it's the only classic hits station in South Florida. WILL THIS LEAVE MIAMI AS THE BIGGEST MARKET W/O A CLASSIC HITS STATION?!

RadioInsight: https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...ami-flip-next/

Miami Herald: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/busi...e48621735.html

Radio-Online: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb429
    No. 6 in 6+ is meaningless. If the station isn't top 3 in its target demo (upper end of 25-54) then even a lower rated format will be a bigger moneymaker providing it can chase off the 55+ crowd and replace them with sales pitch-gullible younger listeners.

Account Closed
    Dude, chill out. (In other words, stop SHOUTING HYSTERICALLY.)

A station's position in the free-to-the-public 6+ ratings does not tell the entire story. And I already told you that back in post #9.

There must be something happening with their 25-54 numbers that is driving this. Unless you have access to the full Nielsen ratings for the market, you have no basis for your hysteria. I'm sure David E. will be along any minute now to give the full story.

And for the record, Houston (market #6) doesn't have a Classic Hits station either, so to your shouted question about Miami (market #11) ... no.

I am getting to the point where I can tell which posters never worked in radio from their unwavering dedication to panic over the 6+ numbers. I'm beginning to think I should ask Streamline to institute a board rule prohibiting any kind of predictions, etc. based on those meaningless numbers.
    Last edited by K.M. Richards; 12-08-2015 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added commentary about meaningless numbers

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan7157 View Post
    THIS JUST IN:

The station definitely has a problem, as it is now 15th in 25-54 (which, along with 18-49 and 18-34 are all that matters) and down from 11th as recently as the March book.

Most of their numbers are in the valueless 55+ demos.

While I would have previously predicted a change to a less rock-centered classic hits, more faithful to the Miami music heritage, it looks like they are going to do a format switch... perhaps along the lines of their successful rhythmic gold and current format in San Francisco which has made a major impact.

If the station had chosen a format modification, they likely would not have released all the staff and brought in a PD from California.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

The station definitely has a problem, as it is now 15th in 25-54 (which, along with 18-49 and 18-34 are all that matters) and down from 11th as recently as the March book.

Most of their numbers are in the valueless 55+ demos.
    There you go, Jonathan. Now stop acting so hysterically.

Quote Originally Posted by K.M. Richards View Post
    Dude, chill out. (In other words, stop SHOUTING HYSTERICALLY.)

A station's position in the free-to-the-public 6+ ratings does not tell the entire story. And I already told you that back in post #9.

There must be something happening with their 25-54 numbers that is driving this. Unless you have access to the full Nielsen ratings for the market, you have no basis for your hysteria. I'm sure David E. will be along any minute now to give the full story.

And for the record, Houston (market #6) doesn't have a Classic Hits station either, so to your shouted question about Miami (market #11) ... no.

I am getting to the point where I can tell which posters never worked in radio from their unwavering dedication to panic over the 6+ numbers. I'm beginning to think I should ask Streamline to institute a board rule prohibiting any kind of predictions, etc. based on those meaningless numbers.
    What good are 6+ numbers, then? If such numbers are so meaningless, why does Arbitron bother to release them?

Because they are not of much value. Since it cost so much to conduct the survey each month, quarter, etc., they rely on paying subscribers to release the more important and valuable portion of the surveying. The 6+ are even flawed because stations not subscribing are eliminated from the results. This is less crucial in large markets but in smaller markets you might find only one radio group is a subscriber while all the other stations are not. In larger markets it might be the little independent station that does not subscribe, but in a city like Twin Falls, has only 4 stations listed, all owned by the same company and San Angelo, Texas is identical...only Foster paying for it.

Seems to me this attitude of 55+ being 'valueless' needs scrutiny if not scrubbing from broadcasters thinking. The demo has money, time and inclination to reward themselves with discretionary purchases - like holidays, cars, motorcycles, organic food, health and beauty products, elective surgery and maybe grandchildren who need Xboxes, iPhones, hoverboards, musical instruments, clothes, books, concert tickets etc. The concept of being 'valueless' is in itself valueless and denigrates the medium's capacity to reach across demographics. Western nation's populations are aging, people are living longer and the demo is growing. Oh, Glen Frey is 67, Don Henley is 68, Annie Lennox is 60, Mick Jagger is 72, Carly Simon is 70 and George Clooney has one year left before he becomes 'valueless'. Disregard it at your financial peril.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by weneedtotalk View Post
    Seems to me this attitude of 55+ being 'valueless' needs scrutiny if not scrubbing from broadcasters thinking.
    Broadcasters do not "think" that way. Advertisers do... there are essentially no ad buys against 55+ so stations that program to that demo don't get much agency business... maybe none if the 25-54 audience is not large.

So don't blame radio for the marketing objectives of advertisers.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast