• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christsmas Flips

arit

New Participating Member
Both WASH FM and WRQX have flipped to all Christmas. WRQX was going to flip on Friday but WASH beat them to the punch. I hope that someone tries to differientiate the music and not play the same 100 songs from now until Christmas Day.

I hope that someone tries to differientiate the music and not play the same 100 songs from now until Christmas Day.

Don't hold your breath.

Just as is the case with a station's regular format, listeners are going to expect to hear their favorite Christmas songs when they tune in. That means lots of Feliz Navidad, White Christmas, Jingle Bells, etc.

And yes, those songs are researched and tested too.

That's why most Christmas radio stations suck! They play only the same old chestnuts 'round the clock! If I want to hear real Christmas variety, I'll go on the internet!

Ok folks, don't be fooled. Just a few minutes of sitting and thinking about it was enough for me to figure out what is most likely going on here. I gotta feeling .. that .. WRQX went Christmas early and intentionally let it be known to fool WASH FM into jumping in early and getting "settled" into their Christmas format. I'm sure that as of Monday, Nov. 16, 2015, WRQX will unveil some sort of whatever AC type format they are planning to add to the sea of already existing AC stations in Washington, DC. They will do this as an attempt to try to win some WASH-FM listeners who do not want to hear Christmas music and try to include those people in the fan base they will try to create before WASH-FM goes back to regular format.

But then again, this is just my guess. Don't listen to me. I'm just a board poster. Therefore, this is automatically not only a bad guess, but a wrong one that makes no sense, and there is no way this could possibly happen because I don't know anything. :cool:

Whoever that person was on the Radio and Television board for DC that predicted Christmas music possibility on WRQX waaay before anyone saw this coming, I give them a lot of credit, regardless of whether or not they knew if it was really going to happen or why it would happen. Bottom line is that the person was right. Yes, I thought it was possible to some degree that it could happen, but not enough to have the confidence to post those thoughts at the time.

Lastly, I guess the only thing to look forward to is the possibility that someone else will flip to or shift towards a WELL DONE, NON MEDIOCRE, CUTTING EDGE, FUN, INTERESTING WASHINGTON, DC. WORTHY Top 40 format. While Hot 99.5 isn't necessarily bad, this market could still do waaay better with CHR.

Last edited:
That's why most Christmas radio stations suck! They play only the same old chestnuts 'round the clock! If I want to hear real Christmas variety, I'll go on the internet!

That response places you squarely in the minority as far as listener preferences, so that threat will be meaningless to the stations, as they don't expect you to listen.

The numbers show over and over again that a minority of people want to hear a month of Christmas music. It's just a larger minority than those who normally listen to most stations that will listen longer.

Personally, I can't stand Christmas music, but I'm male and not being targeted by most of those stations anyway. Again, stations that usually go all Christmas already know that, and that's why you usually only see that shift on female targeting stations.

Ok folks, don't be fooled. Just a few minutes of sitting and thinking about it was enough for me to figure out what is most likely going on here. I gotta feeling .. that .. WRQX went Christmas early and intentionally let it be known to fool WASH FM into jumping in early and getting "settled" into their Christmas format. I'm sure that as of Monday, Nov. 16, 2015, WRQX will unveil some sort of whatever AC type format they are planning to add to the sea of already existing AC stations in Washington, DC. They will do this as an attempt to try to win some WASH-FM listeners who do not want to hear Christmas music and try to include those people in the fan base they will try to create before WASH-FM goes back to regular format.

well you was right

Ok, all jokes and criticisms aside, although I may not be happy with the necessary format change and the things that lead up to it, in all reality, I have nothing personally against the people operating the station. I'm not exactly sure if the current format will be successful or not, but at least they got a second chance to try and fulfill a dream, so I am happy for them. Many people do not get second chances like this, especially in the business world.

Whether or not what has been tried before will work now, who knows. There is always a right timing for things and sometimes things *hit* at one time that wouldn't hit at another time, especially in radio. Many factors play into that, as the average reader here already knows.

Usually I'm very good at reading and knowing what will come when it comes to predicting the success of (CHR and Adult CHR type) stations. However, for some odd reason, I personally cannot tell what will happen either way about 107.3, and I have no idea why. I did re-add them to my presets and have been listening lately. While they play a lot of things I personally like, I just cannot tell what the outcome will be.

I don't know about other people, but in my experience, after you obsess, research, and study something so much (and for me, that's mainly CHR, Rhythmic CHR and some Adult CHR and the effects of mixshows when it comes to radio), you can begin to develop an accurate sense/feel of what will work and what wont work, and you can tell almost immediately "Yes! That's it! This will work - just give it time and everyone else will catch up and realize it after they start physically seeing the money and ratings" or "Nah, this ain't going to work. This ain't going anywhere and others will eventually realize it whether they want to see it or not." (A good example of that is when you look at the simple basic things like 107.3 slowly adding the word "MIX" into their ID slogans and notice music changes and people developing the sense/feel that they will eventually become MIX something.)

But then again, I do tend to think and analyze waaay more than the average person, so I tend to learn, notice and pick up on things that others miss. Call it "gifted" or diagnose me with whatever you want, but that's just what it is. I just look back and wish I made money off of the bets and predictions I called in radio over the past 6 years, especially with WWPW in Atlanta.

Anyway..... 107.3 actually has me stumped. When I think of all the things that have happened at 107.3 recently and the methods they are pulling right now and the timing of it all, in addition to what they're playing, I am not getting any particular feeling either way with them. I'm sort of leaning towards not seeing a very long term success coming out of their current format, mainly because it doesn't seem like the playlist music "flows" in an organized fashion, but this time, I wouldn't take my word for it. I simply just can't tell, and maybe the average listener doesn't notice.

The suggestions and predictions I made about Atlanta and Phoenix/Tucson and some of Los Angeles, those were solid and I already knew those things would happen. But I'm unsure about 107.3. There are so many ways that this could play out with them.

I also haven't looked into Fresh FM to see how many songs they are actually sharing with Mix. Quite frankly, I never paid any attention to DC Market before I contemplated moving here, which all happened in less than two months. The only thing I really knew was that WPGC went CHR/Rhythmic at one point (so you can already see where my mind and main interests are at with formatting).

We'll see what happens in long run...

* The odd thing is that I've never worked for a CHR station, and you would think that out of all formats, THAT IS WHERE I WOULD HAVE WORKED. Which format did I actually work with? People who know me only from the boards would be surprised... I'll leave that up to your imagination... and no, it wasn't country or news talk.

I did re-add them to my presets and have been listening lately.

Well, that was short lived, as I got bored with DC's MIX and replaced it with 107.9 and actually also started listening to 92.5 WINC FM even more (but MIX is still on my presets, at #18 or 20 where 107.9 used to be, if I remember correctly). One thing I really like about WINC FM is that unlike other stations in their category, they really do have a better variety of music.

I still wish Mix 107.3 the best, although I personally don't care for it at the moment in comparison to 92.5 and 94.7.

Who knows, maybe 94.7 will flip to CHR at some point one day. Not sure what they will do with 95.5 if this happens, ... but I don't really see 95.5 as a CHR anyway.

Well ... I got bored with DC's MIX and replaced it with 107.9 and actually also started listening to 92.5 WINC FM even more

I still wish Mix 107.3 the best, although I personally don't care for it at the moment in comparison to 92.5 and 94.7.

So, I guess in the end, it turns out I actually prefer Mix 107.3 over 92.5 or 94.7 because I notice I always go back and stay there longer. Ironic. There on-air people also seem to be more live than the other AC's, at least that's what I'm noticing as of right now.

Not sure how things will reflect ratings-wise in the long term, but personally I have to admit I like 107.3, although I still prefer that it be a cutting edge CHR.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom