• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boston Radio Ratings, October 2015

Later moldy oldies, chick music is back on top.

Patriots !!!!!!!!
Is this the strongest ever showing of a sports station in Boston ?

Both Kiss and JAM'n both seem to be under performing....wonder how long Clear...errr...iHeartMedia will put up with that...

WKLB seems to be coming out of it's recent stratospheric highs to normal territory (not at the hands of WBWL though..)

WKOX, WXKX, WBIX, XKS-A and even WRKO all seem to be having quite a time of making themselves relevant. (When was the last AM Success story? Sports? What, 15 years ago?)

WBOS beaten by The River (WXRV)?

WODS Amp 103.3 can't seem to get themselves noticed playing the most popular songs of the day?

They could go back to oldies with just a slight modification, "103.3 Gramp-radio"! All the amps thought the best call letters would be WPOP, yes pop music sure, but more so Perfect On Paper lol.

Both Kiss and JAM'n both seem to be under performing....wonder how long Clear...errr...iHeartMedia will put up with that..

I do not listen to Kiss regularly anymore and sometimes get stuck listening to Jam'n. Did I overhear that Kiss is still claiming to be the most listened to music station? :eek:

And thanks to their chummy ties to the Chinese Communist Government, WILD-AM doesn't even show up on the ratings! Let's get G & E Studios and destroy their CRI programming!

I think it is Waterloo time for 103.3

CBS can easily switch 103.3 to Christmas now - get older people to preset it again and the after the holidays start simulcasting 1030 AM on 103.3 ( even move the WBZ-FM calls there)

Another option would be to trot out Jack-FM here as it still does well in LA and it could fill a void in Boston.

There is no good reason to abandon an FM music format to simulcast an AM station unless that AM is (a) directly challenged by an FM competitor or (b) sagging in the ratings under age 55 due entirely to technical quality. Neither is the case with WBZ-AM, and CBS will not make the same mistake they made in Chicago with WBBM (adding FM simulcast) when a music station can generate so much more cash flow.

Now, Fenway is dead on when he says they should switch 103.3 to Jack or some sort of variety hits. Here is why:

1) It's a cash machine. No jocks, music intensive, focused on the 40-50 sweet spot of 25-54,
2) It won't steal from any of CBS' existing formats,
3) It will tear the heart out of WROR while doing minimal damage to WZLX,
4) It will do secondary damage to Magic and WBOS if programmed properly,
5) CBS can legitimately go back to all those former "oldies" advertisers and say "we screwed up," and position the new station as "next generation classics." Bam! Instant $3 million in billing, all right out of Greater Media's hide.
5) They can flip on a dime. Little ramp up period.

I'm told AMP bills less than $2 million a year. That's worse than a Worcester or Springfield station. Fenway is correct that something should change, but it will not be a simulcast of WBZ-AM. Bet the house on that. If you don't think this is what keeps Buzz Knight up at night, I promise you it does.

WBZ-AM has been bleeding listeners for years and I suspect that is mainly because older listeners are retiring and move to a warmer climate or passing away.

Most under the age of 30 don't really know the AM band exists. I only suggest the possibility as CBS has done it elsewhere.

Jack-FM they could fire up quickly ( and I still think they have the chance to go all Christmas first ) and they for the short term could have someone like Tami Heide (currently at Jack-FM in LA) to loclize the format. Tami may have left Boston 25 years ago but she knows the local jargon and listeners would never know she is in LA.

But I think AMP's days are very limited especially with a Christmas option that can be put on the air in seconds since they already have the the WODS=HD3 stream up and running.

[h=1]QUOTE=gaveitup;6073923]There is no good reason to abandon an FM music format to simulcast an AM station unless that AM is (a) directly challenged by an FM competitor or (b) sagging in the ratings under age 55 due entirely to technical quality. Neither is the case with WBZ-AM, and CBS will not make the same mistake they made in Chicago with WBBM (adding FM simulcast) when a music station can generate so much more cash flow.[/h]
Now, Fenway is dead on when he says they should switch 103.3 to Jack or some sort of variety hits. Here is why:

1) It's a cash machine. No jocks, music intensive, focused on the 40-50 sweet spot of 25-54,
2) It won't steal from any of CBS' existing formats,
3) It will tear the heart out of WROR while doing minimal damage to WZLX,
4) It will do secondary damage to Magic and WBOS if programmed properly,
5) CBS can legitimately go back to all those former "oldies" advertisers and say "we screwed up," and position the new station as "next generation classics." Bam! Instant $3 million in billing, all right out of Greater Media's hide.
5) They can flip on a dime. Little ramp up period.

I'm told AMP bills less than $2 million a year. That's worse than a Worcester or Springfield station. Fenway is correct that something should change, but it will not be a simulcast of WBZ-AM. Bet the house on that. If you don't think this is what keeps Buzz Knight up at night, I promise you it does.

When WEEI moved to FM, they were simulcast on both 850 and 93.7 but eventually the former went to all ESPN. For ratings purposes, I think the simulcast had to be 100 per cent. If so many people moved to a "NewsRadio 103.3" what kind of ratings would the same thing on 1030 get? Or, OK, so they move totally to FM and put something else on the AM... but, what would go there? Oldies? Talk? Brokered?

Last March there was a rumor that CBS Boston had told advertisers they were probably going to bring back oldies to 103.3. Nope as it turned out (and a short time later Apr 9:
"CBS Radio extends contract w/The TJ show on WODS Amp 103.3 FM."--Tom Benson tweet)

http://www.fybush.com/nerw-20150330/
>>In this week’s issue… Is everything old in Boston new again? –

As for Jack, who knows:
>>Jack-FM they could fire up quickly
As the story goes, they were just about to make 103.3 Jack but Entercom heard scuttlebutt about it and made Star 93.7 into...Mike. CBS decided to stick with "Boston's Greatest Hits" on 103.3 (slogan now used on WROR, right?_)

Last edited:
Right now I am only suggesting WODS flip to holiday music and that alone will get people to preset them again - from there either go the WCBS-FM/WOGL route or follow KCBS-FM (Jack-FM) - they have no other options unless they simulcast 1030 AM.

When WEEI moved to FM, they were simulcast on both 850 and 93.7 but eventually the former went to all ESPN. For ratings purposes, I think the simulcast had to be 100 per cent. If so many people moved to a "NewsRadio 103.3" what kind of ratings would the same thing on 1030 get? Or, OK, so they move totally to FM and put something else on the AM... but, what would go there? Oldies? Talk? Brokered?

Last March there was a rumor that CBS Boston had told advertisers they were probably going to bring back oldies to 103.3. Nope as it turned out (and a short time later Apr 9:
"CBS Radio extends contract w/The TJ show on WODS Amp 103.3 FM."--Tom Benson tweet)

http://www.fybush.com/nerw-20150330/
>>In this week’s issue… Is everything old in Boston new again? –

As for Jack, who knows:
>>Jack-FM they could fire up quickly
As the story goes, they were just about to make 103.3 Jack but Entercom heard scuttlebutt about it and made Star 93.7 into...Mike. CBS decided to stick with "Boston's Greatest Hits" on 103.3 (slogan now used on WROR, right?_)

While WROR is my #1 preset and I mostly love Loren and Wally (except for Loren's "uhhhhhhhhhhhh"'s a million times each morning), I would abandon them in a second to get Mike-FM back. Mike was my favorite station and I had pretty much abandoned Loren and Wally when it first came on.

Speaking of Loren and Wally, and with all due respect to Tom Doyle, does anyone really miss Tom? They've done a great job moving on from him, not that he was adding much to the program over the last couple of years anyway. Everything he did (Men from Maine, his Townie Tunes, etc) was all pretaped stuff. He never really added much "live" to the program. LBF, Hank and Lungboy have all stepped in and stepped up.

bring back the classics to ODS - Good idea.
Jack may not bee too bad but after those first few months do what I think CBS should had done in NY bring back the announcers and DJs but KEEP the Jack label.
Many 60s tunes are timeless and deserve SOME airplay

bring back the classics to ODS - Good idea.
Jack may not bee too bad but after those first few months do what I think CBS should had done in NY bring back the announcers and DJs but KEEP the Jack label.
Many 60s tunes are timeless and deserve SOME airplay

You'd probably be able to get J J Wright back without an issue, The AM drive was a revolving door for a while who are you going to put back in? Dale is Dead, Paul Perry is working for Greater Media, Karen Blake is down on the Cape. As far as mid days go, based on what I know about Paula Street I doubt she would leave Tampa as long as she has the gig with Beasley, although she loves Boston, her Mom is now in Tampa and that is going to keep her there IMHO.

And as far as 60's music, we may like it, but we are less and less of it. Pre British Invasion is gone, Classic rock lives on, but classic hits is now pretty much the Disco era and newer, to the 80's and cross over new wave and dance, British Invasion to say to 1976 is dying fast too.

Last edited:
I'm thankful someone on here is smart enough to point out all of the reasons AMP will never simulcast WBZ 1030, but you lost me with JACK-FM....

1033 will never flip to a JACK-FM format because of the other stations within it's cluster. Mix 104.1 is right down the hall and the audience a JACK-FM format caters to happens to be the exact same people who listen to Mix.

Why would CBS just move listeners around... not every station in every cluster is a winner. AMP happens to be in the same building as 4 stations that bill heavily; it's entire existence revolves around the idea that the 2 share it has is a 2 share that I Heart does not and I think CBS is happy with that.

Even an all oldies format (nothing after 1973) would possibly bill better then AMP
A classic hits format (1970-95) with a light sprinkling of 60s and mid 50s classics should do the trick

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom