• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FCC proposes ending AM skywave protection

WCAU was not a Top 40 station.

IIRC, WIBG was the big Top 40 station in Philly back then. Not as big a signal as KYW or WCAU, but they were a semi-regular in Indiana when I lived there.

And you forget the great voice of the Plains and eastern Rockies, KOMA in Oklahoma City which may well have been the most listened to station in America during the late 50s and 60's.

Don't forget "K-Double A-Y" Little Rock. I could hear both of them loud and clear in Indy, Chicago, and Phoenix.

IIRC, WIBG was the big Top 40 station in Philly back then. Not as big a signal as KYW or WCAU, but they were a semi-regular in Indiana when I lived there.

WIBG was the late 50's Top 40 station in Philly, but as soon as WFIL went into the format around 1966 Wibbage was pretty much done as it has a dreadful signal in parts of the market, while WFIL has one of the market's best signals.

Unless I'm in the car, stationary, AM is useless to me. The place I live blanks out all but the strongest signals with electronic noise, and though I have a good radio in the car, engine noise kills it. Yes, I wouldn't mind hearing WLW at night...but I would imagine Major League Baseball would prefer I buy the package to stream Reds games anyway.

People traveling out of the area can easily stream the station and feed the audio to the car audio system....protection of the former Clears is a waste....their need as a clear have passed....face it, its the 21st century, NOT 1930s anymore....

The hams on 80/75 AM are ok.....the ones on SSB are another issue...playing music and saying the F word every three words.....I shake my head over that......thankfully 6m and 160 are the Gentleman's bands.....(Ever heard the 147.435 ZOO rptr in LA?? Wish the FCC would bust everyone of them on there....instead of fines, revoke their licenses...then if they do it again, have a US Marshal arrest them!)...

I am sick of the CB garbage that has taken over the ham bands.......(but then some of them are OLD hams....like former K1MAN)......

Unless I'm in the car, stationary, AM is useless to me. The place I live blanks out all but the strongest signals with electronic noise, and though I have a good radio in the car, engine noise kills it. Yes, I wouldn't mind hearing WLW at night...but I would imagine Major League Baseball would prefer I buy the package to stream Reds games anyway.

For $20 it's not a big deal. Not free, like the NBA and NHL, but minimal cost. No blackouts, either.

Engine noise shouldn't be a problem. Anyone who works with that sort of thing should be able to keep it out of the radio. Try a car stereo shop.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom