106.7 Lite FM sure loves the '80s... but not the '90s
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 106.7 Lite FM sure loves the '80s... but not the '90s

106.7 Lite FM sure loves the '80s... but not the '90s

Because I had nothing better to do, I analyzed WLTW's playlist from 10/23/2015.

They had a total of 261 plays that day: 208 unique songs, plus 53 repeats. The old rule of thumb about AC stations having a 200-song playlist seems to be holding true.

Breaking it down by decade:

1970s: 16 plays (15 songs + 1 repeat)
    1980s: 113 plays (97 songs + 16 repeats)
    1990s: 16 plays (15 songs + 1 repeat)
    2000s: 33 plays (31 songs + 2 repeats)
    2010s: 83 plays (50 songs + 33 repeats)

It's surprising how little '90s music they're playing. Even WCBS-FM seems to playing more '90s music now than Lite; about one song per hour. The amont of '70s music Lite is now playing is also a sharp increase compared to the late 2000s, when they had completely eliminated it from their playlist, in response to competition from Fresh 102.7.

Lite FM loves to promote their "Best of the '80s weekends", but since this playlist was from a weekday, you could say "every day is a Best of the '80s day" on Lite!

The song with the most repeats was Taylor Swift's "Blank Space", with 6 plays in the 24-hour period.

The oldest songs they played were John Lennon's "Imagine" and Elton John's "Your Song", from 1971.

"Songs I didn't expect to hear on Lite FM" included Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On", Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me", and the original album version of the Eagles' "Hotel California" (instead of the 1994 live version, which most AC stations play).

I rarely hear the 1994 live "Hotel California" anymore. Used to be widely common. I've heard Pour Some Sugar on Me a couple of times on AC stations. 80s song, but not soft rock at all. Surprised they are still playing 1971 songs on Lite.
    As for stations with 200-song playlists, that is why I love small-town radio. Case in point - KKRB 106.9 in Oregon. I still don't know how many songs are in their playlist, and I've heard their soft rock format and taped it many times. Gotta love that! Excellent mix of rarities and not-so-rarities.
    737 AM's in the log, 614 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: 93.9 KSOU Sioux Center, IA; 8/13/17
    Last New AM Log: 610 KAVL Lancaster, CA; 9/7/17.

Maybe they count friday as the weekend already.

Wonder what a wednesday would look like.

The 90s is the weakest decade of music in the rock and roll era. There was very good, the best by far hip hop from that decade, but that does nothing for wltw. The path to getting the best ratings for lite fm is to cherry pick only the best known by everyone few gems from the 70s, all the fantastic 80s songs, the very few viable 90s songs, and then all the best songs from 2k on that are not too heavy and are very mass appeal.

I would say that lite fm is musically about the best that it can be. No other NYC station can lay claim to that, maybe wwpr. Look at their sister stations, you got a very well done power 1051, and then ktu an z100 who are not as good as they once were. Z100 is lucky to have Elvis, they are down in all the key demos over the last 6 months as the music is just not programmed as good as it was before. Z100 is not that special listen that it was, ktu doesn't take advantage of all the incredible nyc loved and adored rhythmic pop and dance songs from the late 80s till now. I know, ktu is used as a flanker against 923 so it has been modified from its original purpose. 6 months ago it was clear that z100 was doing their music programming better than 923 but you really can't say that anymore. Sure, 923 is younger and more rhythmic as they should be, but for what each does 923 has gotten better and z100 has deteriorated a bit. Obviously compared to the mess that all these chr's in this country sound like outside of a few who do their thing correctly like kiis in la, Z100 rules.

Take a listen to the Australian chrs fox out of Melbourne, kiis and Nova in Sydney, nothing in this country comes close.

We went thru this before - im just not getting the z100 is off music thing.

They play all the hits & past hits just like they always did.

i actually just looked up the last 10 songs that kiis (that you so say is sooo great) played & z100 plays them all too:

Wake Me Up
    Avicii

Wildest Dreams
    Taylor Swift

Rather Be (feat. Jess Glynne)
    Clean Bandit

Worth It
    Fifth Harmony feat. Kid Ink

Hold Me Up
    Conrad Sewell

Stitches
    Shawn Mendes

Bad Blood
    Taylor Swift

The Hills
    The Weeknd

What Do You Mean?
    Justin Bieber

Same Old Love
    Selena Gomez

The suburban AC stations a good amount of '90s music -- Ace of Base, Goo Goo Dolls, Mariah Carey, Hootie & The Blowfish, Sheryl Crow, Backstreet Boys, etc. -- but for some reason Lite doesn't want to touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
    i actually just looked up the last 10 songs that kiis (that you so say is sooo great) played & z100 plays them all too:

Wake Me Up
    Avicii

Wildest Dreams
    Taylor Swift

Rather Be (feat. Jess Glynne)
    Clean Bandit

Worth It
    Fifth Harmony feat. Kid Ink

Hold Me Up
    Conrad Sewell

Stitches
    Shawn Mendes

Bad Blood
    Taylor Swift

The Hills
    The Weeknd

What Do You Mean?
    Justin Bieber

Same Old Love
    Selena Gomez

First off it's not only what you play but how it is played. A good log hits all the goals perfectly in each quarter hour. All of the Iheart chrs especially those in the larger markets are virtually free from any jarring mistakes, your response seems to imply I'm talking it there, which obviously not, just to be clear.
    For me I liked the way the music logs were over an hour for z100 better 6 months ago than what they are now, that's it. There's nothing major, just overall I felt they were a bit stronger before.

Ok, I caught them a few weeks back playing the Pantetonix(sp?) song in the noon hour, and I think it was the noon or 1p hour today or yesterday I heard the Shaggy-Pitbul song. I'm not real big on those songs, I don't see them as hits. I guess for me being it z100 the hit music brand for nyc radio over the last 30 years, I'm all about a fairly strict? Conservative is not the word....safe playlist between 6a to 7p. New music choices are unquestionable, like the new Adele and Bieber no brainers, the new ariana grande in a day or so.

KIIS is different, totally different market so different goals there, they are more rhythmic, but I like the way the music is on that station for its situation. The noon hour is a mix show that is brilliant, it just is blended with the perfect amount of hits, best remixes, cool songs for the transitions in a mix show...it's very well done. Then around that it is just not too safe and dull for younger demos and the more attentive type listener, but still is so focused on being familiar, obviously getting the major hits on that everyone should and for the most part do right, and not too jarring for the older or less attentive listener. It's a market where you can play more new music but kiis is safer(for what they are) than z100 is.

My opinions, how I see it. You are free to disagree but you know playing the hits part of it is a given, there's more to it than just that one element otherwise anyone could program the music log for a chr. I don't know maybe you think being a tad more adventurous is a good move in midday as there are less but more tsl listeners, however you see it.

I just realized I kinda hijacked this thread with this comment..... I just was asked so I responded, hey the market history z100 has paved must be a part of today's lite fm, what fits.

WLTW playing the regular version of Hotel California. I think that the older audience might be a slight majority that would appreciate hearing the live version over the original they have heard so much, because it is a very strong well done cover that in its own way is cooler than the original. However with the younger audience this is one of the very few older songs that they really like and expect from lite fm. They know the original and I can just hear a younger girl saying to herself, subconsciously, this doesn't sound right...and switch.

They tried to do away with lite fm as their name, new york's 1067, as the music now doesn't fit the name lite. but that is what they are known by in New York, it's a strong brand you can't throw that away. Pour some sugar on me certainly isn't a lite song neither are the Bon Jovi songs, Rihanna we found love and the others lol, yeah not lite. The songs do sound all new again to me with that processing to tone down the harshness. I think it was you give love maybe prayer but that processing brought out parts of the song and muted others, it was a different listen for me. If you stick real hard on the branding and the past and ignore what your target audience wants you will fair, hence we get a not so lite lite fm. One of my favorite segues on lite fm was a few years back now, Cat's in the cradle into rihanna only girl in the world, no imaging song to song(I'm sure Harry has been retired by now).

It is only a guess, by It may be that they are going "lite" on 90s now because that will be their next decade of emphasis in a few years and they don't want to burn out those tracks before then.

They may also find less pickings in the latter half of that decade due to the rise of hip-hop, so they may choose tracks from the first 6 years to represent that decade.

LCG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast