• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Should the US do like Brazil?

Another big mover was that the new FM's had few, if any, commercials. The only new format I remember in SFO was AOR and that wasn't a very popular format outside Haight-Ashbury and Berkeley.

The new formats may have had few commercials for the first year, but they quickly monetized the newly found ratings.

KMPX was the first progressive station in San Francisco going on in mid-1967. It was decimated by a strike the next year, and Metromedia launched KSAN, which was an immediate commercial success in the same way that their stations like KMET, WMMS and WNEW-FM were.

"AOR" did not exist as a format until the advent of the Superstars tight list format towards the middle of the 70's under consultant Lee Abrams. The Superstars formatted stations were enormously successful and generally sold out in those days. They got astonishing ratings, often beating the leading Beautiful Music FM through the rest of the 70's.

I just did. If I wanted HD in my house I had to buy an HD radio.

Check the sales rank of the Insignia; it is below 11,000 in electronics. It looks like your purchase was probably the only one in a week or so and it only has 93 total revues despite being a relatively "old" item.

I agree on the power hungry HD chip. I had a project where I needed a small FM radio. I looked at a digital FM radio that was small and would have worked great except for the power consumption. I have looked for a good portable HD radio and it's a tough search.

I asked Bob Struble of iBiquity about HD portables in a presentation he made for us in 2003 at our annual management conference in Miami. I did not get an answer, and he seemed peeved at my impertinence. But I still do not have an answer.

The new formats may have had few commercials for the first year, but they quickly monetized the newly found ratings.

I returned to the Bay Area from Vietnam in April of 1966 and listened to KYA and KEWB, both AM's, until KEWB flipped to news. KYA was never a good nighttime listen in Marin County so when KGO-FM 93.7 fired up I quickly switched. It was nothing but music and jingles for the first year or so but still didn't have significant commercials when I moved away in 1968. I still have a couple of off-air recordings from that period. AFAIK it never simulcast KGO-AM which was a MOR format.

"AOR" did not exist as a format until the advent of the Superstars tight list format towards the middle of the 70's under consultant Lee Abrams.

I have no idea whether AOR was a recognized radio format at the time but as early as the mid-60's some of the Bay Area FM's were doing something that sounded much like it. I wasn't much of a fan of this format as it seemed to favor druggies and dropouts and I was ex-military so I didn't take great pains to listen.

Check the sales rank of the Insignia; it is below 11,000 in electronics. It looks like your purchase was probably the only one in a week or so and it only has 93 total revues despite being a relatively "old" item.

That could be but I never claimed it was a popular item - only that I bought one because it is the only way to get HD inside the house. I am not in my HD-equipped car that much.

I returned to the Bay Area from Vietnam in April of 1966 and listened to KYA and KEWB, both AM's, until KEWB flipped to news. KYA was never a good nighttime listen in Marin County so when KGO-FM 93.7 fired up I quickly switched. It was nothing but music and jingles for the first year or so but still didn't have significant commercials when I moved away in 1968. I still have a couple of off-air recordings from that period. AFAIK it never simulcast KGO-AM which was a MOR format.

The FCC mandate to end AM and FM simulcasts for all but small markets and daytimers began at the start of 1967. Many combos rushed to do something with their FM signal to hold the license, and it took a while for the viable vs. the crazy options to sort themselves out. In the meantime, the emphasis was on doing it on the cheap at most operations.

A few companies, like Metromedia, saw great potential and dove in with well budgeted and developed formats. Others had a "bunch of hippies" in a smoke-filled studio that used to be the supply room playing "acid" rock. And still others jumped on the developing syndicated format model of Drake-Chennault's "Hit Parade" format or the new taped Beautiful Music formats.

What you heard on KGO-FM was ABC trying to find its way. Which they eventually did with the FMs that they had, including the rather legendary KLOS.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom