• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jim Sharpe, back to KTAR

Which shtick will he have, the KFYI angry white guy shtick, or the mellow KTAR morning guy shtick?

Irrelevant at this point. Way too many people have already written off 92.3 as non-live/non-local radio. That very few people even had a heads-up that Connie's no longer there -- had to find out about it in that story -- speaks volumes about how Bonneville treats their on-air talent.

Speaking of which, it's still a little hard to take KTAR "News" seriously when their web site's full of click bait and AP stories posted hours after AZ Central, ABC15, etc, not to mention no live/local news on the radio (KTAR is a radio station first, web site secondly) after 7pm or on weekends.

One of the few ways Bonneville could possibly salvage some of its rapidly-dwindling credibility is to bring back Tim and Willy -- on-air talent that's not afraid to interact with listeners on the air (what a novel concept for a TALK RADIO station). Jim and Jayme is a good move. Tim and Willy would have been a great move.

Ron Burgundy replaces Ned Foster? No wonder Jim Sharpe left the building...but isn't this his third return?

Taking calls just shows how really stupid talk radio callers are.

Want proof? Listen to KFYI, the callers are frighteningly stupid. But, I guess angry stupid white guy radio sells.

Taking calls just shows how really stupid talk radio callers are.

Want proof? Listen to KFYI, the callers are frighteningly stupid. But, I guess angry stupid white guy radio sells.

Thank you. That's exactly my point. Taking calls also shows how entertaining talk radio could be. Yes, of course the callers are frighteningly stupid. That's what makes it so entertaining. Hearing Dumb and Dumber play faux game shows between interns? Not entertaining. Angry stupid white guys ranting about Benghazi? Definitely entertaining. And funny. Bonneville continues to leave a lot of money on the table.

Thank you. That's exactly my point. Taking calls also shows how entertaining talk radio could be. Yes, of course the callers are frighteningly stupid. That's what makes it so entertaining. Hearing Dumb and Dumber play faux game shows between interns? Not entertaining. Angry stupid white guys ranting about Benghazi? Definitely entertaining. And funny. Bonneville continues to leave a lot of money on the table.

Mac and Cheezewhiz are pretty bad, I avoid the show at all costs. But Bruce has a great show, certainly better than the blaring redneck on KFYI (did you know he was raised poor, and he was an electrician? Give him 5 minutes, he will tell you)

Speaking as a guy in the demo...

It's gotten to the point where even on sports stations I punch out the moment they take calls. About the only call-in segments I listen to anymore are on the Leykis internet show, but even then I'll take a segment with a good guest over open phones. Callers are lame.

Speaking as a guy in the demo...

It's gotten to the point where even on sports stations I punch out the moment they take calls. About the only call-in segments I listen to anymore are on the Leykis internet show, but even then I'll take a segment with a good guest over open phones. Callers are lame.

For the most part, callers are either senile (talk radio), stinking drunk (sports radio, especially late evenings/overnight), lame, pathetic butt-kissers (Limbaugh ditto-heads), and/or just flat-out stupid.

A good talk-show host or team will dispatch these idiots in a clever and humorous manner -- The Score in Chicago is the best I've ever heard for doing this -- but most will just let them semi-coherently drone on and on because they agree with the host(s).

It's a good pairing, and KTAR has nothing to fear when Ned & Connie ride off into the sunset. And KFYI has nothing to fear, as their approach to AMD is completely different than KTAR's. Both stations play to different audiences, so this brouhaha about senile listeners and faux games with station interns is about as irrelevant as most of the posts from Nurse Jeff and me. Nothing to see here folks,so keep moving along.

News is the name, here, correct? Keep telling us what's going on locally and internationally, please.
We might stay tuned in after the near t-o-h Detour Dan report.
We do not like hosts & hostesses rambling on about whatever suits their producer.

Congrats to Jim and Jayme. I hope KTAR does something special on Ned's last day.

Too bad their studio is no longer on Central Ave. Nobody says "Uptown Phoenix" quite like Jim Sharpe.

My apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I wanted to comment on Mr. Sharpe's morning show. I am only a listener, and after listening to him since his assignment to this time slot...I can honestly say I am not a fan of his style of broadcasting. I am just so tired of the cynical, obnoxious, sarcastic style of reporting. If I wanted that style of show, I would tune in to Mac and Gaydos on the way home. It just gets so old, and tiresome. Not everything is a joke, not every segment needs a sarcastic comment or mini editorial. His so called jokes are not really funny either.

I know they have jobs to do to keep their shows lively and entertaining, but wow...it gets so old. I end up changing the station or listening to podcasts on my commute. The formula seems to be the same...criticize and make cynical comments about everything, yet offer no solutions or well thought out opinions. Ned Foster managed to deliver the news without too many personal comments, was professional, and kept me interested.

As I stated I know they have to keep their shows entertaining, but when it comes at the expense of the news...what they are supposed to be about, it just becomes tiring. If this is their show format, then don't call it a newscast. Call it an editorial cast where the hosts read a headline, then offer sarcastic, cynical, opinions laced with manufactured outrage, and calls that it's stupid and needs to change...yet offer up no insightful intelligent suggestions on how to do so. Just stop calling it a newscast.

Thank you for reading.

You're welcome. We like Jim & Jayme and disagree. Thank you for reading.

I'm with the Doc on this one.

If I wanted my news with no personality, I'd listen to NPR.

News? On KTAR? You're joking, right? Outside a few headlines, the rest of the local "news" is parenting tips and puff pieces for soccer moms - and no news once 7:00pm rolls around, except for at top of the hour.

and no news once 7:00pm rolls around, except for at top of the hour.

...and on the half hour, but who listens to local radio after 7pm anyway? Darned few...unless their diet consists of rice & beans!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom