• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Steve McCoy’s Donald Trump interview on 106.7: new or*recycled?

McCoy is off the air this morning. So that means either 1) The station wants all the facts before they let him back on the air, 2) He was suspended, or 3) He was fired.

Steve's a smart guy. What was he thinking?

IMHO, if this really was the reason Steve was fired, the station went too far. This was the kind of thing that warranted a 2-week suspension.

(OK ... you've been waiting long enough for this...)

So, you could say that the Trump interview wasn't ...the real McCoy...)

(Oh, you could have waited longer? OK...)

I agree....They may have been looking for an 'out' due to very few listeners...and they found it here.

There's a reason Steve McCoy is in the GRHOF.

That said, a) I think the new brass at Cumulus may have jumped on an easy way to cut costs, and b) frankly, he never seemed like a good fit for a news-talker; I think he was trying to turn the morning show into the radio equivalent of the Today Show with variety and light opinion, but there was still too much of the "morning zoo crew" from his previous stints in there and c) also frankly, his pipes are sounding awful these days, hoarse and everything. It might be time for him to hang up his cans.

I remember when the unknown Steve McCoy replaced the legendary Ross & Wilson on Z-93 back in 1981 (35 years ago!), and he sounded fresh and crisp back then. It's been a good run for him. Unfortunately, like fellow GRHOFer Gary McKee, he's running the risk of staying way past his prime.

Last edited:
I agree with you, Jabba.

Steve has had a legendary career, and it was probably time to retire from radio. But I wish it didn't happen like this. I heard that Cumulus national PD Mike McVay had a lot to do with hiring Steve. I have a feeling that current Cumulus/Atlanta management didn't know Steve's history in this market and the power of his name.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom