• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kroenke Sports acquires Wilks’ Denver stations; flip imminent?

They’re saying that this could happen sooner than later. Anything can happen between now and after Labor Day 2018 weekend.

Great. A 1.2 share radio station is going to be replaced by programming that will likely garner even worse ratings.

Would much prefer to see a station with a decent signal flip to Rock to put KBPI out of its misery.

Seems like something has been talked about for a while now. So what's eminent? The Wolf is going to switch formats?

Tool bad. I like them the way they are. I guess not surprising with The Bull moving in.

Great. A 1.2 share radio station is going to be replaced by programming that will likely garner even worse ratings.

It was a solid 2+ share station until the Bull debuted. The new station temporarily hurt KYGO too, but they've fully recovered. The Wolf has not.

So yes change is likely coming.

It was a solid 2+ share station until the Bull debuted. The new station temporarily hurt KYGO too, but they've fully recovered. The Wolf has not.

So yes change is likely coming.

Well, yeah. They've already announced what they're doing. KWOF becomes KKSE-FM on 9/17. Local sports talk will be on 92.5 and Fox Sports Radio will clear 24/7 on 950. 950 will also be used for conflicting live games. KWOF is running sweepers re-directing the country audience to The Bull, and Altitude 950 is running promos about the move to FM.

I wonder if Kroenke got iHeart to pay for the "reset your preset" sweepers? Those mentions have value.

I wonder if Kroenke got iHeart to pay for the "reset your preset" sweepers? Those mentions have value.

Looks like the answer to your question is "Yes," according to Country Aircheck:

"Our partnership with KSE has been building over the last decade as they have been buying advertising from us to promote their sports teams and TV property," says iHeartMedia Region SVPP JoJo Turnbeaugh. "We just did the exact same thing to promote 106-7 The Bull."

From an audience perspective, this was one of the most respectful format changes I've seen in awhile. They gave the audience notice, and after it was done they pointed the listen live link to their now former competition. Plus they got paid. That's pretty smart.

The flip of 92.5 to All Sports will go down as one of the worst format flips in any market in the United States of the past 25 years.

Almost NO ONE is listening to the new station!!!

The station is getting creamed in the ratings by absolutely everyone. There are translator signals with 2x, 3x or even 4x the ratings of 92.5 FM!!!! How does a Class C1 signal with good coverage of the Denver area survive with only a 0.4 share?!?! These dummies could've chosen instead to flip to Active Rock, and they would've gotten a 1.5 share without even trying, and with a little effort, probably could've topped a 2 share! The former 106.7 KBPI audience absolutely craves a Rock station with a decent signal. They'd abandon the awful 107.9 setup in a heartbeat if given the option.

The flip of 92.5 to All Sports will go down as one of the worst format flips in any market in the United States of the past 25 years.

Almost NO ONE is listening to the new station!!!

The station is getting creamed in the ratings by absolutely everyone. There are translator signals with 2x, 3x or even 4x the ratings of 92.5 FM!!!! How does a Class C1 signal with good coverage of the Denver area survive with only a 0.4 share?!?! These dummies could've chosen instead to flip to Active Rock, and they would've gotten a 1.5 share without even trying, and with a little effort, probably could've topped a 2 share! The former 106.7 KBPI audience absolutely craves a Rock station with a decent signal. They'd abandon the awful 107.9 setup in a heartbeat if given the option.

The purchase of radio stations by KSE has no other reason to have happened other than to have control over the radio presence of the Kroenke-owned teams in the Denver metro.

Stan Kroenke is worth around $9 billion. I'll bet he thought it was worth some pocket change to own the radio voices of his own teams.

Using a sports reference, this is a classic "you build it and they will come". Kroenke owns the teams. He has valuable content beyond just the games. Over time, and using all his other resources, he can drive listening.

This is not a dumb person. But this is not a person who wanted an active rock station or something like that. KSE is a huge sports enterprise, and whatever they do appears to have a sports "angle". They may not even care if radio is profitable as a stand-alone as long as corporate goals are met.

Agreed. They had to know that the flip was going to result in a smaller audience than their Country format, even though that audience had shrunk with the Bull on 106.7. I don't think it mattered. I can say I skip 92.5 now.

I guess time will tell us if there is another flip. Some day I'm sure.

Agreed. They had to know that the flip was going to result in a smaller audience than their Country format, even though that audience had shrunk with the Bull on 106.7. I don't think it mattered. I can say I skip 92.5 now.

I guess time will tell us if there is another flip. Some day I'm sure.

Maybe with a change of ownership, but unless Kroenke expands into the concert promotion business, there's no reason for it to flip a station whose sole purpose is to offer play-by-play and talk about the teams Kroenke owns. Expecting a flip to some musical format from such a station is like expecting a college's alumni magazine to turn into Car and Driver or Us Weekly.

That's what I meant; if Kroenke loses interest in radio. If it's not paying off in other ways like ticket sales. If their market share is too low and it doesn't payoff in any way because no one is listening. In that case it's just a financial drag, which he might not care about for a while, but may eventually be done with it. Format flips happen quite a bit, so I just meant it will happen some day, not that I think he wants to be in the music radio business anymore. It would probably be a case of just selling the license because it's worth something. In the end those kind of people have a lot of money because they know how to make it and keep it.

You will never see a sports radio station with monster ratings.

On the other hand, you will often see sports radio stations make more money than higher rated music stations.

If you're trying to reach a 25-54 year old male, it's a very efficient ad buy.

If you're a team owner, you can combine station ad sales with arena advertising and sponsorship packages and you keep all the revenue from the game broadcasts.

It's a safe bet that they are not losing money on the radio station. The power ratios on sports radio are always through the roof.

On the other hand, you will often see sports radio stations make more money than higher rated music stations.

Then again for Kroenke, the real cash cows are the sports teams. They just use radio to promote sports, the way Disney uses ABC. Synergy!

It's a safe bet that they are not losing money on the radio station. The power ratios on sports radio are always through the roof.

LOL - have you seen 92.5's ratings?!?!

Power ratios are only "through the roof" when the station performs nicely in the Men 25-54 demographic. The station's ratings are absolutely miserable across the board!

In Denver that could be true, but across the country, there are numerous empirical examples that would prove you wrong.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom