Kroenke Sports acquires Wilks’ Denver stations; flip imminent? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Kroenke Sports acquires Wilks’ Denver stations; flip imminent?

  1. #11
    Meanwhile, Denver could see a Sports radio war break out January 4, 2016, with KKZN flipping calls to KDSP and take the Fox Sports Radio affiliation, KKFN and KEPN joining ESPN Radio after KJAC heads off into non-commercial land, and KRWZ expected to join the fray. And on top of that if KSE does flip one of the FMs to Sports this battle is going to be more interesting than the sports teams that play in Denver.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by only1moore View Post
    Meanwhile, Denver could see a Sports radio war break out January 4, 2016, with KKZN flipping calls to KDSP and take the Fox Sports Radio affiliation,
    Is there any truth to this or are just spoting off rumor ??
    KKFN and KEPN joining ESPN Radio after KJAC heads off into non-commercial land,
    I don't see KKFN picking up ESPN. One of their biggest gripes about ESPN was the programming demands the network put on the station (And still WILL even more so). I do however see KEPN or KRWZ picking it up however (But with all live sports being broadcast on KKFN though)
    and KRWZ expected to join the fray.
    No way will AM 950 go Non-Comm. KRWZ will pickup NBC Sports (From KEPN) or ESPN (From KJAC with live sports broadcast on KKFN)
    And on top of that if KSE does flip one of the FMs to Sports this battle is going to be more interesting than the sports teams that play in Denver.
    Unless KSE flips 92.5 to CBS Sports/Westwood One/Dial Global, I don't see that happening

    If it DOES happen - I see 92.5 being the primary to all KSE live sports broadcasts with 104.3 being the secondary outlet with the Nuggets always being on one station & the Avs always being on the other

    JMO.....

    Cheers & Happy Holidays
    Last edited by JeeperOne; 12-27-2015 at 05:38 AM.
    Pat Cook, KB0OXD (Ham Radio Callsign)
    Back To The Future Radio & TV (Old Time Radio & Classic TV) | WSO-AM Radio & TV (Old & Classic Soap Operas)

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by JeeperOne View Post
    Is there any truth to this or are just spoting off rumor ??
    Yes. It has been confirmed. The press release came out a few weeks ago, and the FCC shows 760 as KDSP effective 12/10/15.

    I don't see KKFN picking up ESPN. One of their biggest gripes about ESPN was the programming demands the network put on the station (And still WILL even more so). I do however see KEPN or KRWZ picking it up however (But with all live sports being broadcast on KKFN though)
    Bonneville has already confirmed KEPN will go ESPN. KKFN will air some ESPN programming in the evenings, overnights and weekends.

    No way will AM 950 go Non-Comm.
    He didn't say KRWZ was going non-comm; he said it was going sports. KJAC 105.5 is going non-comm and will probably position itself more toward Ft. Collins as it's a Ft. Collins station taking it over (and it has shared a tower with it for years).

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Yes. It has been confirmed. The press release came out a few weeks ago, and the FCC shows 760 as KDSP effective 12/10/15.
    Then iHateRadio should go after either the 93.7 or 103.1 FM translator sticks because 760 will need the extra boost (Especially at night when it can BARELY be heard)
    Bonneville has already confirmed KEPN will go ESPN. KKFN will air some ESPN programming in the evenings, overnights and weekends.
    I can see KKFN picking up all live sports, Mike & Mike (As they did in the past even thugh they were an FSR affiliate) & maybe evening shows when there is no live sports (Locally or nationally) BUT I don't see them dropping the well established local shows during the day for ESPN (I see those being on KEPN only)
    He didn't say KRWZ was going non-comm; he said it was going sports. KJAC 105.5 is going non-comm and will probably position itself more toward Ft. Collins as it's a Ft. Collins station taking it over (and it has shared a tower with it for years).
    Well your point is moot because it was KUNC who bought 105.5 to serve as a non-commin Ft. Collins

    I was only referring to only1moore's comment about 950 joinng the non-comm fray

    But while we're on the subject of KRWZ, I do see them escaping the fray relatively unscathed but there's still the proverbial "X Factor" that is the 103.1 translator though. My thinking is Bonneville will dump comedy radio for a simulcast of KRWZ since going Classic Hits (Even as KRWZ-FM) would be near suicidal (As demonstrated by 101.5 which tweaked it's format quite a few times since it launched under the Jammin' Oldies name)

    As for KWOF 92.5, I just don't see it surviving as a Country station as there's there's just too many factors at play here. Lemme list them

    * First & foremost is the uncertain future of Westwood One on the Denver dial (92.5 could easily end the speculation & uncertainty with the excellent signal it has)

    * CBS Sports Radio is STILL in play (Has been since its inception even though KKFN/KEPN have kinda sorta claimed affiliation with the network)

    * NBC Sports Radio is now seemingly in play with KEPN now switching to ESPN (IF Mile High Sports Radio ever comes back on the air with a decent HD1 signal, they could pick it up)

    * With all the hatred being spewed forth on Conservative Talk Radio these days, people are looking for an alternative to it that isn't Public Radio or some boring "Brokered" Talk station (Sports Talk does its part to fill this void quite nicely)

    I know a lot of people on here believe there's TOO MUCH sports talk on the dial but HOW MANY of those people have even BOTHERED to tune in online (Much less turn on the radio while in Denver) ?? My bet is NOT VERY MANY

    BTW - In case you're wondering why I didn't mention YSR, there's a reason why I didn't. Suffice to say if I delved into it, the Mods might have to move this thread (Or parts of it) to TIO (And we wouldn't want that )

    Cheers & Happy New Year
    Last edited by JeeperOne; 12-31-2015 at 05:12 PM.
    Pat Cook, KB0OXD (Ham Radio Callsign)
    Back To The Future Radio & TV (Old Time Radio & Classic TV) | WSO-AM Radio & TV (Old & Classic Soap Operas)

  5. #15
    Radio Insights reports that AM 950 is simulcasting 92.5 The Wolf until April 11, when the station re-launches as KKSE "Altitude Sports 950". It will flagship the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche and Colorado Rapids. Most likely, one of the KSE FM's will handle conflicting games. On the talk side, the station is set to carry FSR's Rich Eisen (not heard on AM 760), and former KKFN host Vic Lombardi has been signed to head up the local talent (which I imagine will have a few more KKFN people)

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliRadioFan View Post
    Radio Insights reports that AM 950 is simulcasting 92.5 The Wolf until April 11, when the station re-launches as KKSE "Altitude Sports 950". It will flagship the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche and Colorado Rapids. Most likely, one of the KSE FM's will handle conflicting games. On the talk side, the station is set to carry FSR's Rich Eisen (not heard on AM 760), and former KKFN host Vic Lombardi has been signed to head up the local talent (which I imagine will have a few more KKFN people)
    The sports events WILL NOT survive on 950 (Even iHateRadio is realizing that the days of live sports on AM in Denver are numbered with Broncos games being simulcast on 103.5) however SPORTS TALK will continue to survive (As will any other talk/spoken word format)

    JMO.....

    Cheers & 73
    Pat Cook, KB0OXD (Ham Radio Callsign)
    Back To The Future Radio & TV (Old Time Radio & Classic TV) | WSO-AM Radio & TV (Old & Classic Soap Operas)

  7. #17
    The NFL and FM Rock stations of any sort have seemed to go hand in hand the last 10 years or so. With exceptions here and there, all other major league Sports still pretty much seem to be AM Radio territory.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliRadioFan View Post
    The NFL and FM Rock stations of any sort have seemed to go hand in hand the last 10 years or so. With exceptions here and there, all other major league Sports still pretty much seem to be AM Radio territory.
    Boston is now 100 percent FM for major pro sports -- Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins, even MLS's Revolution have left AM. You can still hear college sports on AM there, but since Boston may be the single worst market for college sports in the country (New York City might dispute that) that's hardly a vote of confidence for AM, more like the only carriage deals the local schools can get. Behold the future!

  9. #19
    It looks like the other website is pointing directions towards a certain animal being caged in favor of suiting up for the big leagues. Stay tuned...

  10. #20
    I see a possible Broncos Bidding War in the very near future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us