Kroenke Sports acquires Wilks’ Denver stations; flip imminent?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kroenke Sports acquires Wilks’ Denver stations; flip imminent?

Kroenke Sports acquires Wilks’ Denver stations; flip imminent?

Wilks Broadcast Group is selling its three Denver, CO stations to Stan Kroenke’s KSE Radio Ventures for an undisclosed amount.

Kroenke owns a number of Sports properties including the NBA’s Denver Nuggets, NHL’s Colorado Avalanche, MLS Colorado Rapids, Denver based regional sports network Altitude Sports & Entertainment, Outdoor Channel, Sportsman Channel, World Fishing Network as well as the NFL’s St. Louis Rams and Arsenal FC of the English Premier League.

Following the divestiture of Country “92.5 The Wolf” KWOF, Hot AC “Mix 100.3” KIMN and Classic Hits “Kool 105.1” KXKL in this deal, Wilks will only retain its clusters in Columbus, OH and Reno, NV. As KSE already operates the radio networks for its three Denver sports franchises we’d expect one of the stations to flip to Sports with the rights to the Nuggets, Avalanche, and Rapids.
    https://************.com/blog/headli...-wilks-denver/

How are these stations doing in the ratings? Which one is likely to flip?

Ratings wise, both KIMN and KXKL have solid numbers, KWOF on the other hand, continues to trail KYGO.

Although I hear Bonneville has no intention of parting with KEPN/KKFN, Kroenke was rumored to have been the original buyer of KKFN from Entercom before the DOJ stepped in, and Bonneville was rumored to have been wanting one or two of the Wilks properties. Kroenke has some leverage in that he can still go after his original target by saying, "Swap me KEPN and KKFN, or I'll go after you and steal most of your best programming."

What Bonneville would do in that situation is anybody's guess, but it would have little choice but to at least seriously ponder an offer like that if Kroenke were to make it. It has no other route to expand in Denver unless it wants rimshots or could manage to get Salem to let go of 94.7, and it's likely to face competition with deep pockets that will get first crack at the Avs and Nuggets no later than the day after their current play-by-play contracts expire.

It's going to be tricky to get Salem to give up KRKS-FM, since they seem to be on a buying spree lately, so they might want something in return. On the other hand one could see Bonneville work out a swap with Kroenke for a station they see as a perfect fit in their Denver cluster.

I had no idea Bonneville (Owners of KSL in Salt Lake City) owned any stations in Denver. I thought Entercom bought KEPN & KKFN when they bought the other LFM stations

Perhaps you're thinking of Entercom instead ??

Cheers
    Pat Cook, KB0OXD (Ham Radio Callsign)
    Back To The Future Radio & TV (Old Time Radio & Classic TV) | WSO-AM Radio & TV (Old & Classic Soap Operas)

Quote Originally Posted by only1moore View Post
    It's going to be tricky to get Salem to give up KRKS-FM, since they seem to be on a buying spree lately, so they might want something in return. On the other hand one could see Bonneville work out a swap with Kroenke for a station they see as a perfect fit in their Denver cluster.
    They'd have to do some MAJOR upgrades to that CRAPPY signal BEFORE they can EVEN THINK of doing ANYTHING with it

Besides, hey'd have a MUCH better chance of talking iHeartMedia into coughing up KBPI before they get anything going on 94.7 since iHeartMedia has basically been gutting 106.7 to a point where it's little more than a shell of its former self anyway

As for 92.5, yeah they trail KYGO BUT they're still popular with listeners though. I wouldn't expect a flip here

JMO though.....

Cheers
    Back To The Future Radio & TV (Old Time Radio & Classic TV) | WSO-AM Radio & TV (Old & Classic Soap Operas)

From Radio Insight: The Department of Justice forced Entercom to spin off KEPN, KOSI, KKFN and KYGO-FM to Bonneville International in exchange for Bonneville's KSWD in Los Angeles to meet ownership limits. Both Bonneville and Entercom began operating their new clusters via Time Brokerage Agreements on July 17, 2015 until the transaction is consummated

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Although I hear Bonneville has no intention of parting with KEPN/KKFN, Kroenke was rumored to have been the original buyer of KKFN from Entercom before the DOJ stepped in, and Bonneville was rumored to have been wanting one or two of the Wilks properties. Kroenke has some leverage in that he can still go after his original target by saying, "Swap me KEPN and KKFN, or I'll go after you and steal most of your best programming."
    I seriously doubt Kronecke will raise a BIG stink over a PUNY AM stick like KEPM 1600

I mean that thing broadcasts at what - 1000 watts ?? SERIOUSLY ?? A HAM RADIO STATION can transmit at higher power levels than THAT on the nearby 160 meter band (Not that we have to do it of course )

And about THE ONLY thing that would work on that frequency other than what's on there now (NBC Sports Radio nearly 24/7) would be a Godcaster format. I don't see live sporting events being on there (In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if iHeartMedia did away with airing them on 50,000 watt blowtorch KOA someday as well)
    What Bonneville would do in that situation is anybody's guess,
    Mine is simple. They'd keep KEPN 1600 BUT let Kronecke have the sports programming to put somewhere else. Bonneville would then put either another Godcaster format on the air or YET ANOTHER crazy talker on the air in its place

Plain & simple

JMO though.....

Cheers & 73
    Last edited by JeeperOne; 11-03-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeeperOne View Post
    I seriously doubt Kronecke will raise a BIG stink over a PUNY AM stick like KEPM 1600

I mean that thing broadcasts at what - 1000 watts ?? SERIOUSLY ?? A HAM RADIO STATION can transmit at higher power levels than THAT on the nearby 160 meter band (Not that we have to do it of course )
    Kroenke would want KEPN for the same reason Bonneville wanted it. It's the perfect combo buy and a place to park the overflow. Plus, it would make any trade a little more even, though probably not a huge amount. KEPN operates at 5,000 watts, BTW.

And about THE ONLY thing that would work on that frequency other than what's on there now (NBC Sports Radio nearly 24/7) would be a Godcaster format. I don't see live sporting events being on there (In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if iHeartMedia did away with airing them on 50,000 watt blowtorch KOA someday as well)
    Again, that's why Kroenke would want it. He'd get a second sports station and a place to put his overflow. It wouldn't be a prime place for live sports, but, if you're Kroenke, it's better to have your teams on signals you own than to farm them out.

Mine is simple. They'd keep KEPN 1600 BUT let Kronecke have the sports programming to put somewhere else. Bonneville would then put either another Godcaster format on the air or YET ANOTHER crazy talker on the air in its place
    Despite being owned by a church, Bonneville owns exactly ZERO Godcasters (at least on its main channels). It's also not known for running second rate talkers, and that frequency will never compete with KOA. Bonneville has no incentive to keep it if it swaps KKFN, and Kroenke has every reason to want it. Of course, this scenario doesn't happen if Bonneville keeps KKFN.

Then too, Bonneville could always flip 1600 to a Brokered Talk BUT with KKZN having already done that, I'm not sure just how much of it is left for anyone else to grab

Cheers & 73

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast