• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Vin Scully will miss post-season broadcasts

K

K.M. Richards

Via AllAccess.com ... he recently underwent a "recommended medical procedure" and will skip the rigors of traveling all over the place to call the playoffs this season.

He would have only been on KLAC anyway, which means he would have made the trip to call nothing more than the first three innings of each game, so I can see why he's following doctor's orders.

Via AllAccess.com ... he recently underwent a "recommended medical procedure" and will skip the rigors of traveling all over the place to call the playoffs this season.

He would have only been on KLAC anyway, which means he would have made the trip to call nothing more than the first three innings of each game, so I can see why he's following doctor's orders.

A professional like Vinny would never take the attitude that it is "only on KLAC". I guarantee you whatever it is, it had to have been something significant to take him out of the game.

A professional like Vinny would never take the attitude that it is "only on KLAC". I guarantee you whatever it is, it had to have been something significant to take him out of the game.

Agreed. My suggestion was that his decision likely wasn't as either/or as it might have been if he were calling the entire nine innings (or as George Carlin would say, "we might have EXTRA innings") and if his doctors told him to take the time off it was probably an easier decision for him under the current terms of his employment. The "only on KLAC" are my words, not his, and were meant to convey that the much maligned Time Warner Cable channel was not a factor for him in making the decision.

You'll not find anyone in this business who disrespects Vin Scully. I've met the man and he is as gracious in person as he is friendly on the air.

With no local Dodger TV coverage, Vin would have done six innings on KLAC (first three innings and last three innings)...just like he had the past two seasons the Dodgers were in the playoffs.

So I shouldn't have replied?

Sorry if it's an old thread...I don't check in that often.

I'm just saying that, even though your observation is valid, the fact that the Dodgers were eliminated in the first round of playoffs makes moot the question of how many innings the esteemed Mr. Scully would have called, had he not made the decision to sit things out.

Too late for the Dodgers to make things right by me anyway, as I threw in the towel mid-season, shut off my DirecTV, and am perfectly satisfied with the 31 channels of television I get over-the-air (and that's not counting non-English language, home shopping, lifestyle, and religious channels). It'll be 32 come a week from Saturday.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom