Something Weird Happened

Thread: Something Weird Happened

Something Weird Happened

This morning I clicked in to Radio Discussions to post the death of Frank Zappa's wife in the "In Memoriam" forum. I specifically went directly to that forum and never clicked on "new posts" (which is my normal path). Then, half an hour later I clicked back in to RD, then on "new posts" and saw only 4 posts. I knew that couldn't be correct so I check a number of cities and found a number of posts which normally would have been new to me but were apparently discarded when I posted to the In Memorian forum.

This appears to be a bug to me which I haven't seen before. My normal procedure is to bring up "new posts" then reply in-line. I don't recall going directly to a forum to post a new topic before. It doesn't seem to be a biggie but thought you might want to know.

"New Posts" was showing you posts which had been written since your last log-in .... when you posted the Obit.

Quote Originally Posted by frankberry View Post
    "New Posts" was showing you posts which had been written since your last log-in .... when you posted the Obit.
    But what happened to all the posts I hadn't seen when I first posted the obit? There were obviously more than 4.

K.M. Richards
    Quote Originally Posted by landtuna View Post

Quote Originally Posted by frankberry View Post
    But what happened to all the posts I hadn't seen when I first posted the obit? There were obviously more than 4.
    I think, if you will reread Frank's answer and relate it to your experience, the answer is fairly obvious.

When you posted the obit, you reset the pointer from which the "New Posts" function starts. In other words, by posting before reading the new posts, you prevented them from showing as new.

In other words, you should have either read the new posts first or brought up the new posts list in a new window or tab before you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by K.M. Richards View Post
    When you posted the obit, you reset the pointer from which the "New Posts" function starts. In other words, by posting before reading the new posts, you prevented them from showing as new.
    That is exactly what I think happened and IMHO that is a logic error. No post should be labeled as "read" until it is actually read and the act of posting an unassociated post does not constitute a "read". At least, if I were programming the site that is the logic I would have used.

K.M. Richards
    Quote Originally Posted by landtuna View Post

That is exactly what I think happened and IMHO that is a logic error. No post should be labeled as "read" until it is actually read and the act of posting an unassociated post does not constitute a "read". At least, if I were programming the site that is the logic I would have used.
    The flaw in your logic is that no one reads absolutely every new post on every forum on this site. That would mean that even one skipped post would still be flagged as "unread" and therefore the "new posts" list would always go back to the first skipped post.

And ... technically, once you post you are transferred back to the thread in read mode, which is actually how the pointer gets reset to that post. Because you read it after posting.

I, for one, understand how this works and accept it (I know of other boards that use the same software as RD, they all do the same thing, and yours is the first complaint I've ever read about it), and the only advice I can give is to refrain from starting new threads until you've read everything that interests you in the existing ones.

You can do what many of us do .... look at the activity screen which shows the most recent posts at the top.
    http://www.radiodiscussions.com/activity.php

The flaw in your logic is that no one reads absolutely every new post on every forum on this site. That would mean that even one skipped post would still be flagged as "unread" and therefore the "new posts" list would always go back to the first skipped post.
    What I failed to point out in my most recent post is that no post has 'read' status unless it is actually read or changed as such by use of the "mark all posts read" button but I do understand what you are saying.

I, for one, understand how this works and accept it (I know of other boards that use the same software as RD, they all do the same thing, and yours is the first complaint I've ever read about it), and the only advice I can give is to refrain from starting new threads until you've read everything that interests you in the existing ones.
    My post was more of an observation than a complaint. I just think it is an illogical process (as Leonard Nimoy might say) - no matter how many other boards do the same thing.

That's the way the site software works. That's why I watch the activity stream to see the latest posts.