• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

ABC15 - Why So Many Anchors?

Why does ABC15 feel the need to have so many different anchors on weekdays? Their 2.5 hour am show has 3 anchors. In the evenings, with the addition of Fay, they have 4 anchors. Fortunately, on the weekends, they have the more traditional 2 am anchors and 1 pm anchor (at least on Saturdays).

I think that is more of the direction from Scripps corporate. Their sister station in San Diego (KGTV) has two anchors for the 4pm "The Now" and then three other anchors starting at 5. 1 and 2 are on at 5, 1 and 3 are on at 5:30, 2 and 3 are on at 6pm and 1 and 3 are back at 7pm and 11pm during the week.

I think that is more of the direction from Scripps corporate. Their sister station in San Diego (KGTV) has two anchors for the 4pm "The Now" and then three other anchors starting at 5. 1 and 2 are on at 5, 1 and 3 are on at 5:30, 2 and 3 are on at 6pm and 1 and 3 are back at 7pm and 11pm during the week.

It must be corporate direction of some kind. Recent conventional wisdom said to focus on 2 people (your main anchor team) and market them heavily. I guess Scripps is going down a different path. Perhaps, if there is a third person in the mix, no single anchor can demand a lot of money at contract renewal time. :)

Well, ABC15 formally has 3 evening anchors plus the recent addition of Fay. On the hour-long 6pm news, they actually have 3 anchors (Steve, Katie, and Stephanie). Ordinarily, Fay does segments during the newscasts, but I've seen her anchoring several times as well (presumably to sub for one of the three others). But, overall, the anchor desk looks awfully crowded.

Well, ABC15 formally has 3 evening anchors plus the recent addition of Fay. On the hour-long 6pm news, they actually have 3 anchors (Steve, Katie, and Stephanie). Ordinarily, Fay does segments during the newscasts, but I've seen her anchoring several times as well (presumably to sub for one of the three others). But, overall, the anchor desk looks awfully crowded.

Especially when Amber Sullins and Sports Person is there. However the desk, to me, is a little small. Seems that they're compacted together to fit into the TV frame.

I do not see any issue with it and I actually like it. In fact, other stations like ABC 7 Chicago (WLS) has been doing this for years.

2003-2005 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7baiM-a4ApM

2007 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lixfYEUZRfw

2015 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wN2EwEISbY

I guess I would actually like to have more reporters, who are actually covering the news, rather than more talking heads on the set. As brian4 mentioned, it is awfully crowded at the desk. Rather than having 4 expensive evening anchors, how about a real meteorologist for the weekend morning news or a co-anchor for Kim Tobin on Saturday evennings?

Once again, they have rarely had 4 anchors in the past 17 days that Fay has worked there...you're overexaggerating.

Once again, they have rarely had 4 anchors in the past 17 days that Fay has worked there...you're overexaggerating.

That's what I see as well. IMO, 15 is doing a good, consistent job...so, I'm not sure why the need to pick it apart.

I guess I would actually like to have more reporters, who are actually covering the news, rather than more talking heads on the set. As brian4 mentioned, it is awfully crowded at the desk. Rather than having 4 expensive evening anchors, how about a real meteorologist for the weekend morning news or a co-anchor for Kim Tobin on Saturday evennings?

Are you watching 15 in the morning? Iris is the meteorologist in the morning and she does an excellent job. She does it straight without being funny and goofy and she is not out messing around on live shots (other stations aka 5 and 12 do this too much). IMHO live shots do injustice to the weather. Iris is to the point and refreshing in the morning.

Are you watching 15 in the morning? Iris is the meteorologist in the morning and she does an excellent job. She does it straight without being funny and goofy and she is not out messing around on live shots (other stations aka 5 and 12 do this too much). IMHO live shots do injustice to the weather. Iris is to the point and refreshing in the morning.

Please re-read my post. I said weekEND mornings (which is usually Allison and Nick with one of them playing the weatherperson. By the way, I do like Iris. She is very good.

Also, I didn't say all 4 evening anchors were on at the same time (although all 4 of them have been on several newscasts with Fay doing a segment at the monitor). I just wonder why they need 4, when they could put some of the resources elsewhere. I'm hoping Katie will go away at some point (she is simply not that good). Perhaps Fay will take her place.

Please re-read my post. I said weekEND mornings (which is usually Allison and Nick with one of them playing the weatherperson. By the way, I do like Iris. She is very good.

Also, I didn't say all 4 evening anchors were on at the same time (although all 4 of them have been on several newscasts with Fay doing a segment at the monitor). I just wonder why they need 4, when they could put some of the resources elsewhere. I'm hoping Katie will go away at some point (she is simply not that good). Perhaps Fay will take her place.

It's interesting how everyone's tastes are different. I happen to think Katie is OK and consistent. You think she is not good, but like Yetta Gibson. Touche. lol...

Does anybody else dislike the anchors commenting on a "funny video" that just ran. The meaningless discussion is copied (stolen?) from Good Morning America. I'm not crazy about them doing that, either.Hello. You're a NEWS program. Deliver the news!

(Furthermore, I saw the "funny videos" two or three days earlier on the Internet.)

Does anybody else dislike the anchors commenting on a "funny video" that just ran. The meaningless discussion is copied (stolen?) from Good Morning America. I'm not crazy about them doing that, either.Hello. You're a NEWS program. Deliver the news!

(Furthermore, I saw the "funny videos" two or three days earlier on the Internet.)

On the traditional newscasts in the evenings, I prefer a more traditional serious news approach. I'm a little bit more open on the morning newscasts (such as Wake Up Arizona or GMAZ), as they are more like the tv versions of the am radio shows. And there are the fluffy shows in the afternoon, The Now and EVB Live where they tend to be a bit chatty.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom