• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HD in new cars

A þorn in one's side!
Maybe this has something to do with words such as þou, thou, and you?

Ah, the miracles of the extended character set! Yes, that thorn.

Likely the ascension to "you" is as you suggest.

Its fun to look at how English was written prior to the work of Samuel Johnson and his dictionary.

Thought I'd update this thread with an observation: I got a brand new Land Rover Discovery as a rental while visiting the Seattle area this week. I was very impressed with the quality of the radio in the vehicle, especially the AM section. In fact, it's probably one of the best AM tuners I've ever heard. There was very little fading while driving under the many overpasses along I-5, and the audio quality (even for AM), was pretty good.

Yes, the radio has HD capabilities, and seemed to lock onto the local FM stations HD streams with little fanfare. I haven't tried listening to the AM-HD station in Everett, WA. yet, but will while in that area next week.

Going totally berserk on taking this thread off track, I read an article about the etymology of the term "ye" which should be pronounced "the" as it is a contemporary alphabet representation of the no longer used "thorn" letter and, thus, part of the word "the". But when we sing (if we are not atheists) "God rest ye merry gentlemen" the word is pronounced "yee" as one would expect.

Thus ends my Sesame Street learning moment. Back to HD in cars, which is nowhere nearly as fun (or edible).

Very interesting.

What, atheists can't sing about being merry in a bar?

What, atheists can't sing about being merry in a bar?

I seriously doubt an atheist would be singing that particular song in a bar or anywhere else, given the lyrics that follow "God rest ye merry gentlemen".

I wonder if there's something that I can put my portable HD Radio into a car, like a sticker to hold it together.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom