• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What has happened to this website???

Is your question directed specifically to the COLUMBUS OH Forum, or are you asking about the entire website we call Radio Discussions? I ask that question because a similar inquiry come up in another forum a few months ago and we had a dysfunctional conversation because we were all using different definitions of sites, forums, topics, threads, etc.

I pulled up the COLUMBUS Forum and looked at the date at the far right for each topic or thread, and yes, this particular forum is not drawing a lot of current traffic. But, tell me what forums are doing well at RD right now. In fact, I follow a number of discussion sites and I think the trend is: Long-form discussion is not a popular as it once was. With the arrival of Social Media like Facebook and others, and the move to use phones in our pocket or purse which because of their little bird-seed size keyboards discourage LONG message, Discussion boards probably don't have the traffic they once did.

What about you? I didn't try pulling up what you have posted. Do you start and/or participate in threads the way you did 2 years ago or 6 years ago or maybe even 10 years ago? If not, why not?

I do not feel like I can post the way I used to.... with overall traffic appearing to be down... If I posted like I have in the past it might look like I was trying to "hog the board".

So how is radio in Columbus. I haven't been to or through Columbus is something over 20 years so any thing you share will be news to me. Do you have some good stations there that are turning out really great programming? Do you have some ugly-step-sister stations that wouldn't know good programming if they stepped in it?

We used to not only wirte and post about radio, but we talked to our family and friends and the people we worked with about radio and radio people. Do you do that today? Nolw that we have full time cable channels bringing us political food-fights around the clock, maybe we are more interested in talking about the election debates than we are about radio.

So you brought up the subject. What is there to talk about.... about radio.... in Columbus OH?

I ask that question because a similar inquiry come up in another forum a few months ago and we had a dysfunctional conversation because we were all using different definitions of sites, forums, topics, threads, etc.

Aha! This explains my ears being on fire. How's that dog doing, GRC? šŸ˜ƒ

It does stink that we don't have the level or frequency of discussion on here that we used to have. I have noticed it too. Seems like it has been that way for a year or so and it isn't getting better.
For my part, I am simply a fan of radio who shares observations. I don't start many topics because I am by no means an industry insider, but I reply if something interests me or I have something worthwhile to add. Maybe the slower traffic means there just isn't much going on in the industry around here. At least the discussion we have is civil. Don't have a lot of trolls or people who promote their own show or agenda with every post (this Columbus board has had both in the past). That should be a good thing, anyway.

The board had already lost momentum, but that loss seemed to accelerate when it closed down for awhile -- and had a new competitor when it came back (not that the competitor has been all that much more active). But the fact that there just hasn't been much in the way of new developments in Columbus radio does indeed seem like the biggest factor. For me, ironically, the fact that I actually like more of what I hear these days -- musically, at least -- means I'm not on here very often saying "someone needs to to do this or that format locally." Also, I think some of radio's luster and cachet has been lost with its uber-corporatization, concomitant loss of passion, and competition from continually emerging and evolving online and satellite media sources.

Last edited:
Sadly not much has changed in the market. iHeart seems to be stable with their formats (They launched a Urban based format on 106.7 something that no one saw coming considering their many years protecting WNCI).. Radio One isn't going to do anything different with what they have. SAGA has a great mix with their stations. I don't see Wilks changing formats with their stations (they seem happy clearing CBS Sports and are making money (as much one can with their automated country on 107.1) and QFM is well what it is.

Nothing new on the LPFM fronts in the town though I would suspect we should see them built in 2016 (if they are going to be built). Radio in Columbus has been pretty much quiet and unchanged not much to discuss.

Speaking of Wilks, I'm surprised they're still here. Based on their history they seem to buy stations only with an eye toward selling. They just sold their Denver cluster a few days. Maybe they can't generate interest in their Columbus cluster since there's really just one solid signal, plus one rimshot and one extra-pipsqueaky rimshot.

BTW, it was almost exactly 3 years ago that we got the sad news that the original, locally-programmed Jack-FM was going away because Radio One was selling 98.9 to Salem. Their FB page is still up and shows the wry sense of humor they had right up until the day of their inglorious demise. They were just starting to pick up ratings momentum when it was lights out. Would be interesting to know how the nationally-programmed version on 103.9 is doing. And whether the Answer has been able to rise out of the cellar for Salem (probably not...).

Last edited:
Would be interesting to know how the nationally-programmed version on 103.9 is doing. And whether the Answer has been able to rise out of the cellar for Salem (probably not...).

Hard to tell on 103.9 - I've not heard it on around town anywhere - I've heard a few places have Rewind103.5/104.3 on though.

Re: The Answer... "The answer" I am guessing is that it's doing exactly what Salem wants it to do. I rank Salem's use of 98.9 up there with Wilks use of 95.5 it serves a purpose to clear programming in a market -- and as long as a few bucks are being made doesn't matter if anyone really listens.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom