• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Technology & Complacency Foster Programming Disregard of Radio’s Personality

That's a good point! In the interest of not loitering in the Wayback Machine too long.. Back in the late 70's, the station I was working for did internal call-out research and music tests, introducing themselves with a phoney business name. We recorded all the calls (we did notify the respondent that they were being recorded). I remember listening to some of the recordings, many of those surveyed when asked if they can recall what radio stations they regularly listen to, responded with answers like: "Well sometimes I listen to Channel 4, and I really like that weatherman on Channel 7". The person conducting the survey would usually try to get the person back on track by saying: "Sure, but what about your favorite radio stations?" The respondent would always answer something like: "Yes, those are my favorite radio stations!" Thank them for their time and move on..

The question is: Is there anything people in radio can do that will change listener behavior? I believe the answer is no.

"Generation Z will have a broad definition that can go as far as to mean any continuous audio without pictures, whatever the source. That excludes recordings, whether physical product or MP2/3s, as well as video, TV and such. You even have a gray area where some, albeit few, will consider Youtube to be 'radio'."

This is why I'm glad I'm Generation Y. My generation is still old enough to know the difference. Like you implied, this can not be said about Gen Z.

The question is: Is there anything people in radio can do that will change listener behavior? I believe the answer is no.

You answered your own question in your first post. I will answer in two parts 1)Foremost it has to be interesting 2) Conditioning, this is a little more pessimistic. I will use a non radio example: I was a lifeguard at a pool where the members thought they had the lap lane to themselves. we educated them that they had to share and some did. the water aerobics class was expanding so we removed one of the lanes this compounded the notion of sharing the end result was the eventual sharing by all members wishing to lap swim. On a separate topics but falls under your behavior question we (TV & Radio ) have created this short attention span i.e. Doug vs. Sponge Bob Square Pants the frame change respectively is 12 sec to 7 sec and now it's time to pay the piper

I think the question to your comment is: Then what is the definition of Radio? Is it entirely the way it's delivered, or is there more to it? I'd argue when you talk about radio in your terms above, you're really talking about what radio was back when you grew up listening to it, not what it can be considered now, or certainly not ten years from now. 'Radio' has already evolved significantly from it's origins, in delivery-forms and content. Going back to the old days when radio was delivered exclusively to a wireless receiver of some sort with long-winded personalities holding a one way conversation with the captive audience is not some sort of magic bullet anymore. Radio will need to continue evolving, reinventing itself as technology, delivery forms, entertainment tastes, and the media business models evolve. We need to remind ourselves that for the most part, the need for radio's constant evolution since the 1920's, is to support a need as a business model.
pleas see my comment #24

1)Foremost it has to be interesting

NPR is interesting, and you see the ratings they get. I'm not sure there's any proof that the mass audience wants "interesting."

That's like telling a restaurant owner that his food has to be good. So he makes great sushi, and goes out of business, meanwhile the guy across the street makes $1 greasy hamburgers, and has a line out the door.

Here's what I've learned by actually studying radio listeners: They want what they want, and they want it cheaply and easily. That's it. Give them what they want, and you'll succeed, regardless if it's interesting or not. Also, if you want to be interesting, make sure you get to the point in less than 20 seconds, or they'll change the station. Short attention span isn't anything new. It's been the basis for radio and TV for over 50 years. And you can't force them to like something they don't like, no matter how much you try.

pleas see my comment #24

Kelly A,
One is only captive when they don't have or think they don't have options. I.E. you buy tickets to the opera or a movie your a captive audience; TV & Radio you can turn it off or change the station

Great point on what listeners will tell you they want. Mostly it is far removed from what makes them listen. I have learned it is all in how you phrase the question. They might say they want sushi just in reality they are happy with cheap greasy burgers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom