• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

My first DXing report from Hawaii

gar hi

Star Participant
I just got here tonight and I had check out the AM band!

I'm staying in a hotel tonight and the interference from all the electric stuff is brutal on most of the band but I had to get my first video.

Here's KNX Los Angeles with a nice solid signal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdGT_5760qs

KFI was almost as good but with more noticeable fading.

When I get to where I'm going to live in Mountain View, I will be in a very remote area and the DXing should be amazing.

Just had to check in with a little sample of what can he heard here.

I'm getting KSFO too!

Weak but easily listenable and got an ID.

Most frequencies have too much interference from the hotel. I don't have batteries with me or I'd go for a walk outside.

I've had it since 2009.

A very solid radio. I ordered it by mail from a radio place in New York City. Forget the name now.

Another station that shined last night was KFBK 1530 from Sacramento.

On 77O I was getting something that was just below being listenable but some station was fluttering on that frequency. KKOB?

At first I thought I had KCBS but it was a station from Hawaii.

KSFO was my big surprise so far. There and steady most of the night

When in Hilo, I stay at the Dolphin Bay Hotel. The owner (John Alexander) is a great guy. P.S. Malasadas from Tex Drive Inn in Honokaa, HI. Waipio Valley. Now back to Hawaii DX.

I know Mountain View. Agree you should get some great DX from there; though one problem I found was the electrical lines were pretty noisy all over Hawaii. The last condo we stayed at near Kona was so noisy, it destroyed the entire AM band.

It will be interesting to hear if you are able to log a few splits from Australia and New Zealand.

Keep the info coming.

I lied. One more thing. This is why I like the Big Island. We were driving up to Waipio, and we passed a state highway crew in a stake truck. It was after 4, and I guess they were through for the day. The three workers in the back were drinking beers.

Last edited:
Your 770 might be KKOB or Seattle. I've heard both in Hawaii. Five years ago the strongest signals were the 860 and 1100 from San Francisco and also KTNQ was usually strong. The farthest east I received was Oklahoma, KFAQ and KOKC. KOKC was strong enough to hear on my rental car radio. ESPN 1700 from The San Diego area was my best X bander.
The only station I heard from Australia was on 1116 from Brisbane, but I heard it several times. Since you'll be there much longer than I was you will probably hear many more.

Hawaii is the best place I've ever DXed from. It reminded me of the clear channel days from the 1960s. Enjoy!!

P.S. Malasadas from Tex Drive Inn in Honokaa, HI. Waipio Valley. Now back to Hawaii DX.

Absolutely, Gar, you absolutely need to find a good Malasadas place. And get 'em while they're still hot! When I lived in Honolulu, the gold standard was Leonard's Portugese bakery on Kapahulu Street! They're still in business.

Anyway, congratulations on some nice initial catches. KSFO certainly isn't too shabby for openers! I also agree with Radioman about KTNQ. They were blasting nightly when I was in Maui for a few nights in 1994.

KTNQ and KFAX were my "go to stations" any night I wanted to check reception conditions to the mainland. When conditions are good I found KSL to be the best "inland" signal. Very often KSL was fairly strong for a ND station not on the west coast.

Not bad!

Last night, 710 KIRO from Seattle was coming in good here.

I also got KNBR but very weak. The local on 670 doesn't permit much to be heard on the adjacent frequencies.

There was a good signal for a while on 600 that I didn't get to ID. I would guess it's KOGO from San Diego.

Since I've been here, sometimes there's another station on 880 that gives the station in Honolulu a good battle but I can't yet get an ID.

Any guesses, anyone, as to what it is?

Maybe KKMC Gonzales, CA - religious station from the Central Coast? It could also be KRVN, but that's quite a ways inland from Hawaii.

-crainbebo

Oh, I forgot about the one in California. That has to be it, then.

I was wondering if it may be KRVN but the signal wouldn't be that strong, now that I think of it.

Still not a trace of anything from Japan or Australia late at night when I adjust to the 9K step setting.

I've always noticed Japan coming in after 10--11PM HST, however that's during the winter. As we get towards Nov & Dec they should start coming in around that time. Australia is different as their seasons are reversed from ours. You may have to try closer to your local sunrise. In late Feb & March the earliest I heard Australia was midnight HST.

Not bad!

Last night, 710 KIRO from Seattle was coming in good here.

I also got KNBR but very weak. The local on 670 doesn't permit much to be heard on the adjacent frequencies.

There was a good signal for a while on 600 that I didn't get to ID. I would guess it's KOGO from San Diego.

Since I've been here, sometimes there's another station on 880 that gives the station in Honolulu a good battle but I can't yet get an ID.

Any guesses, anyone, as to what it is?

What sort of programming does the UNID on 880 have? KIXI 880 in Seattle has standards. 10kw at night, much of the signal goes west.

Anything from Mexico or South America yet?

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom