• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Who Will Be The First To Jump The Shark?

DrAkbar

Star Participant
Please forgive Nurse Jeff and me for bringing up the subject. It’s now October and our feeble fezzed minds can’t help but wonder – Will KOAI start playing Xmas music this year before KEZ? They did last year, and could do it again real soon. Here at the Buckeye Media Hut we’re going to skip the hot butter and chug down the rum in anticipation of one of these stations going all Ho-Ho-Ho music.

For this very reason both stations do not exist in my radios (although I do enjoy the "Beth segments" on the KSAZ AM show).

KOST in Boss Angeles started Rockin' Around The Winter Solstice Tree (P/C for Xmas) today - 11/12. KEZ can't be far behind...Los Buckeye Boyz think next week. But The Oasis could jump the shark like they did last year, and beat KEZ to the mistletoe. So I guess the Nurse and I are resigned to hearing "A Wonderful Christmastime" by Sir Paul, and Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Xmas Is A Ewe" just about every hour on 99~Nine. Would someone please pass that mug of hot buttered rum, and hold the butter. YIKES!

KOST in Boss Angeles started Rockin' Around The Winter Solstice Tree (P/C for Xmas) today - 11/12. KEZ can't be far behind...Los Buckeye Boyz think next week. But The Oasis could jump the shark like they did last year, and beat KEZ to the mistletoe. So I guess the Nurse and I are resigned to hearing "A Wonderful Christmastime" by Sir Paul, and Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Xmas Is A Ewe" just about every hour on 99~Nine. Would someone please pass that mug of hot buttered rum, and hold the butter. YIKES!

Beth McDonald said this morning on Fox10 AZ AM KEZ Christmas music would begin next Tuesday the 17th but the exact time was still a mystery.

Beth McDonald said this morning on Fox10 AZ AM KEZ Christmas music would begin next Tuesday the 17th but the exact time was still a mystery.

Oasis would do themselves a lot of good being the lite rock alternative that does not do Xmas crap.

Oasis would do themselves a lot of good being the lite rock alternative that does not do Xmas crap.

I agree, although a classic Xmas song every now and then would be OK with me too. I do not like the continuous holiday music - gets really old.

Most A/C listeners want Xmas crap. OASIS wouldn't help themselves by being the anti-KEZ station during the holidays.

I wouldn't care anymore if KOOL-FM went all-Christmas music. Don't even listen to them anymore since they became so 80s-centric. My current main radio preset has become the 92.7 translator for Lumberyard 1440.

I wouldn't care anymore if KOOL-FM went all-Christmas music. Don't even listen to them anymore since they became so 80s-centric. My current main radio preset has become the 92.7 translator for Lumberyard 1440.

I use 93.3 HD2 in the East Valley. Love those Oldies!!!!

Good Dr. I respectfully disagree. I would really like to see Lite rock that is not Xmas.

Everyone has been doing this long enough to know a few things:

1. When KEZ plays Santa 24/7, their audience does not scatter to other stations to escape Wonderful Christmastime, or if they do there's enough cume coming in to replace them that they still win.
2. When other stations try to muscle in on KEZ's turf the gains are limited because KEZ has been playing holiday tunes since 1996. They will own this position until they give it up. And they won't.
3. The whole business of playing 24/7 Christmas music screws up the market so much that the Holiday book gets thrown out by most buyers.
4. Knowing point #3, KEZ will jump the shark as early as possible to get a bump in the last couple of weeks of the November book.

If I were sitting in the PD's chair at The Oasis, the argument I would be having would be trying to decide which was more beneficial: disrupting the market by going early or continuing to re-image The Oasis away from being the station that plays The Pina Colada Song. Since you know that KEZ would flip within 10 minutes of you and they would get the early ratings spike in November, I would lean towards continuing to re-image the station as the "at work" station and carry on with nudging the format younger. Because the later in the month that KEZ flips, the less it disrupts the November book.

But I'm not sitting in the PD's chair at The Oasis, so they could have a totally different opinion.

Last edited:

1. When KEZ plays Santa 24/7, their audience does not scatter to other stations to escape Wonderful Christmastime, or if they do there's enough cume coming in to replace them that they still win.
2. When other stations try to muscle in on KEZ's turf the gains are limited because KEZ has been playing holiday tunes since 1996. They will own this position until they give it up. And they won't.
3. The whole business of playing 24/7 Christmas music screws up the market so much that the Holiday book gets thrown out by most buyers.
4. Knowing point #3, KEZ will jump the shark as early as possible to get a bump in the last couple of weeks of the November book.

If I were sitting in the PD's chair at The Oasis, the argument I would be having would be trying to decide which was more beneficial: disrupting the market by going early or continuing to re-image The Oasis away from being the station that plays The Pina Colada Song. Since you know that KEZ would flip within 10 minutes of you and they would get the early ratings spike in November, I would lean towards continuing to re-image the station as the "at work" station and carry on with nudging the format younger. Because the later in the month that KEZ flips, the less it disrupts the November book.

But I'm not sitting in the PD's chair at The Oasis, so they could have a totally different opinion.

Well said John. Wish you were a Phx. AC PD

I use 93.3 HD2 in the East Valley.

You, KLL and the other eight folks with HD radios! ;)

Senor Tuna--does 93.3 HD2 broadcast the oldies in stereo? Wondering, since 92.7 has been mono since the KAZG translation started. Of course, it sounds better than 1440.

We should put a bug in Mother Hubbard's ear to hire Steve Goddard for 1440/93.3 HD2/92.7. 60s and 70s oldies. What KOOL used to be. The only caveat is: Stevemeister--when you play Good Lovin' (Rascals), don't flip the feed output to mono. And take it easy on Bang 545.

You, KLL and the other eight folks with HD radios! ;)

There are more of us than that but probably not a lot of recent car purchasers know how to use them. Or else can't find a format they like.

Senor Tuna--does 93.3 HD2 broadcast the oldies in stereo? Wondering, since 92.7 has been mono since the KAZG translation started. Of course, it sounds better than 1440.

I believe it does. I will have to listen a bit more intently to be sure. I can't get 92.7 in the SE Valley. The sound is very good - better than SiriusXM IMHO.

We should put a bug in Mother Hubbard's ear to hire Steve Goddard for 1440/93.3 HD2/92.7. 60s and 70s oldies. What KOOL used to be. The only caveat is: Stevemeister--when you play Good Lovin' (Rascals), don't flip the feed output to mono. And take it easy on Bang 545.

Steve would be the perfect choice.

If I were sitting in the PD's chair at The Oasis, the argument I would be having would be trying to decide which was more beneficial: disrupting the market by going early or continuing to re-image The Oasis away from being the station that plays The Pina Colada Song.

Rupert Holmes...wasn't he the same guy that wrote The Buoys one and only hit? Yes indeedy...why would you want to be that station? They'd have to change from "Oasis" to "Escape" - the real title of the Pina Colada song. hmmmm...Rupert Holmes & Timothy. Something to "chew on" (sorry, Tim) from Los Buckeye Boys!

I'm with Professor Davis, leave the All Ho-Ho-Ho format to KEZ. They'll spit you out like a snowblower in Green Bay in the winter.

It's actually the December book. There are 13 ratings periods and they all run together.

It's actually the December book. There are 13 ratings periods and they all run together.

Correct, December is Nov 5 - Dec 2. Holiday is Dec. 3 - Dec. 30. The point is the same. Flip next week and you get a 2 week spike going into the book that everyone ignores and then ride the wave at the start of the January book before people get back into their old habits.

Jerry Ryan was a flippin' genius.

KEZ's been riding the wave all year....All Ho-Ho-Ho could be the sweet green icing flowing down on the cake left out in the rain. And I'll never have that recipe again.....oh, no.

oops...LSD flashback from the Sixties.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom