• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Professional sat receiver with presets?

Hey folks

I'm trying to ease the workflow on our engineers here at the TV station. We are constantly being called in on the weekend to tune in network feeds. I'm looking for a broadcast quality DVB-S2 IRD that has a simple interface for the news department to use. It could be either web based, or just a channel up/down button on the front. It seems like I'm stuck with an expensive IRD like a Sencore or Cisco that still doesn't do what I need. The other option is a cheap FTA box off E-BAY, but Those don't have SDI out.

What to do?

That harmonic is inferior to the Telairety and Sencore 4400 we have now. We have a couple of older ones sitting on the shelf. I need DVB-S2 in, HD-SDI out, and a channel button or presets. Any ideas?

But can you buy one via EBay? Apparently that is also an important requirement...

I just checked eBay and there were a few listings for D9850, under $100.

The D9854, newer unit, pretty hefty prices.

I will have to check further into the differences between the D9850 and the D9854, and in looking over the D9850/D9852, some units might have four RF inputs. I think only one of the RF inputs will power an LNB, might need external power for solo LNBs on the other three inputs.

Last edited:
The D9850 I'm familiar with is DVS-S MPEG 2 only and just has ASI and analog outputs. It's an older SD receiver.

Take a look at the Ericsson RX8200. I don't know how much it costs (probably expensive) and you can go nuts buying additional licenses for it to do what you need, but they're good receivers.

Bronx

Correct on the MPEG 2 for the D9850, but my manual shows two SDI outputs.

I wonder if there were several versions of the D9850s produced.

We have lots of these in our plant and in two of our satellite trucks. 40 presets, easy to choose from the front panel or via a web interface. $1500 is kind of a lot but I can guarantee you it's broadcast quality with HD-SDI out and will do DVB-S2 and MPEG-4 (not sure if those are standard or you need to buy a license).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tandberg-Mo...e-Decryptor-/281755225282?hash=item4199eb8cc2

This is a good unit. We have one, but it doesn't have the DVB-S2 license. I called Erricson (who supports them) for a DVB-S2 license and they don't want to touch that box. I got forwarded to the sales dept for a new box. :(
All I need is the blasted S2 license!!! how hard is that?

I just bought 2 GEOSATpro microHD HD FTA Satellite Receivers. They have HDMI out which goes into an Blackmagic HD-SDI Mini-Converter. Working good so far, but time will tell. Easy to set up with no chinese logic.
http://www.amazon.com/GEOSATpro-microHD-FTA-Satellite-Receiver/dp/B00JJY4NUQ

Inferior? How so? Because there are no presets like a car radio? Please!

That Sencore 4400 is a bad-ass box. It has a sensitive decoder, auto mode selection, auto program selection, and 4 tuner inputs. We've been able to pull in stuff on that receiver that nothing else but the scope sees. The UI and the auto mode makes it pretty easy. Just tell it the freq, symbol rate and you're good to go.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom