• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boston Radio Ratings: September 2015

The September 2015 survey period covers Thu. 8/13/2015 - Wed. 9/9/2015.
Publicly released data for subscribing stations age 6+ overall at the links below:

Boston: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb013

Next report will be for the October 2015 survey period covering Thu. 9/10/2015 - Wed. 10/7/2015.
The data release date is scheduled for Tue. 10/27/2015.

AllAccess.com September 2015 PPM Analysis by Research Director Inc.
including top 5 overall, top 5 in 25-54, top 5 in 18-34 and top 5 in 18-49
will be available on their website on Wed. 9/30/2015 at 5 PM ET.

The September 2015 survey period covers Thu. 8/13/2015 - Wed. 9/9/2015.
Publicly released data for subscribing stations age 6+ overall at the links below:

Boston: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb013

Next report will be for the October 2015 survey period covering Thu. 9/10/2015 - Wed. 10/7/2015.
The data release date is scheduled for Tue. 10/27/2015.

AllAccess.com September 2015 PPM Analysis by Research Director Inc.
including top 5 overall, top 5 in 25-54, top 5 in 18-34 and top 5 in 18-49
will be available on their website on Wed. 9/30/2015 at 5 PM ET.

The 3.2 posted by The Bull ought to silence the last of those who insist that iHeart never should have dumped dance, or alternative, from 101.7. I bet that number includes very few "poison" 55+ listeners.

KISS 108 not in the top 5.
When was the last time this happened ?

Patriots !!!!

WZLX is coming on strong.

What does WGBH-STR stand for ?

KISS 108 not in the top 5.
When was the last time this happened ?

Patriots !!!!

WZLX is coming on strong.

What does WGBH-STR stand for ?

A web stream? Do the PPMs detect station data from Internet listening? Or maybe it refers to the 89.7 HD2 stream of WCRB, which would be the first time an HD2 has registered in the Boston ratings.

A web stream? Do the PPMs detect station data from Internet listening? .

If the stream is encoded and the meter can hear the audio, it is detected. Credit is given in the market where the meter is "home" and not to the market where the station originates if the two places are different.

If the stream is encoded and the meter can hear the audio, it is detected. Credit is given in the market where the meter is "home" and not to the market where the station originates if the two places are different.

So listening through earphones or earbuds -- whether to FM or a web stream -- goes unrecorded by the meters? That's a whole lot of at-work listening being missed!

So listening through earphones or earbuds -- whether to FM or a web stream -- goes unrecorded by the meters? That's a whole lot of at-work listening being missed!

There is a (clumsy) device that can be connected from the meter to the audio output of the listening device
(whether it be a radio, phone or other streaming device)
in order to pick up the embedded PPM signal where headphones/earphones/earbuds are used.

Also, you make the assumption that all streaming listening occurs by way of headphones/earphones/earbuds.
Listeners (like myself) have also used desktop or other speaker gear to listen to audio streams while at home or at work (where allowed).

Last edited:
Or maybe it refers to the 89.7 HD2 stream of WCRB, which would be the first time an HD2 has registered in the Boston ratings.

David E. answered your first question.

As to the question posed above, you are correct.

"WGBH-STR" is an incomplete description in the Radio-Online.com table.
On first look, one would assume it's the stream of the main signal of WGBH-89.7.

But upon checking AllAccess.com's ratings chart for Boston,
it actually should read "WGBH-HD2 STREAM" - the stream of WGBH-HD2 classical programming,
which evidently is how the stream is PPM encoded, rather than being encoded as "WCRB-STREAM".
(WCRB's over-the-air signal is at 99.5 in Boston in addition to WGBH-HD2-89.7.)

Last edited:

Also, you make the assumption that all streaming listening occurs by way of headphones/earphones/earbuds.
Listeners (like myself) have also used desktop or other speaker gear to listen to audio streams while at home or at work (where allowed).

I can't imagine anyone connecting the earphone adapter, so as CTL said, a lot of listening is lost.

The 3.2 posted by The Bull ought to silence the last of those who insist that iHeart never should have dumped dance, or alternative, from 101.7. I bet that number includes very few "poison" 55+ listeners.

I'd say it more answers those in the "how dare CC downgrade WWBB!" camp.

But seriously, a day when 101.7 would top 94.5 12+? Who knew.

"WGBH-STR" is an incomplete description in the Radio-Online.com table.
On first look, one would assume it's the stream of the main signal of WGBH-89.7.

But upon checking AllAccess.com's ratings chart for Boston,
it actually should read "WGBH-HD2 STREAM" - the stream of WGBH-HD2 classical programming,
which evidently is how the stream is PPM encoded, rather than being encoded as "WCRB-STREAM".
(WCRB's over-the-air signal is at 99.5 in Boston in addition to WGBH-HD2-89.7.)

Then, how do you know it's not WGBH-HD3 (a rebroadcast of their Cape and Islands stations WCAI/WNAN)?

I think the Bull is a worthy opponent given the signal. I still expect though that this month's ratings are a bit of a fluke and they will settle down a little into the mid to upper 2s on a pretty consistent basis. Still not bad but I don't think KLB has a lot to worry about. I think the Bull might prove to be a bit stronger if they had a local morning show that concentrated on "more music".

Last edited:
Perhaps because it could be that much of today's CHR music sucks.
CBS must be regretting flipping ODS.

People keep saying this, but why would CBS want those unsellable, too-smart-to-be-tricked-by-Madison-Avenue 55+ ears back listening to 103.3 after chasing all of them away with CHR? The 12+ number may be low, but the demographic they represent has far more advertiser appeal than the better 12+ numbers the station was delivering with oldies/classic hits. WODS appears to be doing just what CBS wants it to do -- siphoning listeners and ad dollars away from iHeart's Kiss 108.

Oh, and as for the comment about today's music, four words: "Get off my lawn!"

One book doesn't equal a powerhouse station.

Country is a "summer format" people listen to country more in the summer than any other season - things will likely level out in coming books.

Meanwhile top 40 music this summer wasn't strong at all, few hits by majors artists most likely contributing to the continuing drop of KISS 108 and Jamn' although I'm sure Ramiro's exit and the adjustments made on the Matty Show didn't help anything either.

One book doesn't equal a powerhouse station.

I never said it was a powerhouse. I only observed that low 3s topped anything previous owners or CC/iHeart ever managed on 101.7 with alternative, dance or bland gold-based AC (remember The Harbor?). Even if The Bull settles into the 2.5-2.9 range if your "summer format" theory proves true, that's still better than the ratings for the Phoenix's too-cool-for-the-room rock format, the machine-generated beats of EDM, or worn-out AC hits.

Then, how do you know it's not WGBH-HD3 (a rebroadcast of their Cape and Islands stations WCAI/WNAN)?

As I said in my post that you quoted, I looked up the Boston ratings on AllAccess.com which is usually more attentive to detail than Radio-Online.com is.
The listing for the station being discussed clearly read "WGBH-FM HD2 STREAM" with the format clearly stated as "Classical" on AllAccess.com - I have no reason to not believe what they posted.

If indeed it had been the HD3 stream that garnered the ratings, I'm fairly sure that the AllAccesss.com Boston ratings chart would have clearly read "WGBH-FM HD3 STREAM".

You might then ask: why use Radio-Online.com to post ratings info if they are sometimes inaccurate and/or outdated
with their info (station calls/formats/owners)? (See post that mentions WBQT's format classification.)
The reason I use Radio-Online.com's ratings charts is because they are open and free to be viewed by any and every person who wishes to see them online.
AllAccess.com and StationRatings.com hide their ratings charts behind subscription "walls".
While the subscriptions are free (usually only requires an email address and a login password), it is understandable that not everyone has access to these sites
and it is understandable that not everyone wants to have access to these sites by giving up their email address and other information.

A few years ago when these forum boards were part of Radio-Info.com, Radio-Info had their own set of ratings charts/tables that were freely available on the same website as the forums.
After the ownership change, those free ratings charts went away.
What is currently the RadioInfo daily newsletter contains ratings analysis and links to ratings charts, but usually on the morning/afternoon after the ratings are released.
Nielsen Audio's website also delays the ratings info by at least one day (with that info also hidden behind a "sign-in form" which requires name, email address, affiliation, etc.).

Radio-Online releases the Boston ratings charts at the earliest moment that they can be publicly released
(barring holiday delays, usually 20 days after the end of the survey period - usually on a Tuesday at 5 PM ET).

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom