• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boston Radio Ratings: September 2015

Why is WBQT not RHYTHMIC ( insert anything but CHR)? It plays mostly 90s music, versus Rhythmic CHRs that are identical to CHRs: Current based. BQT is gold based. More like a classic hip hop station with some CHR and Rhythmic influence. The reason why Mediabase puts it as a Rhythmic is because it plays more rap than r and b. It's an urban contemporary leaning Rhythmic AC, playing rhythmic pop and dance mixed in with the old school hip hop diet that takes up most of the station.

Why is WBQT not RHYTHMIC ( insert anything but CHR)? It plays mostly 90s music, versus Rhythmic CHRs that are identical to CHRs: Current based. BQT is gold based. More like a classic hip hop station with some CHR and Rhythmic influence. The reason why Mediabase puts it as a Rhythmic is because it plays more rap than r and b. It's an urban contemporary leaning Rhythmic AC, playing rhythmic pop and dance mixed in with the old school hip hop diet that takes up most of the station.

Let's see:

RHYTHMIC
CHR
90s
Rhythmic CHRs that are identical to CHRs
Current based
Gold based
classic hip hop
rap
r and b
urban contemporary leaning Rhythmic AC
rhythmic pop and dance
old school hip hop

(Did I get all the format permutations you spouted off listed?)

Tom, no offense, but WTF are you trying to say here?

Over the past five decades, 96.9 was home to several really great radio formats: easy listening, smooth jazz, country, talk; no more now!

Let's see:

RHYTHMIC
CHR
90s
Rhythmic CHRs that are identical to CHRs
Current based
Gold based
classic hip hop
rap
r and b
urban contemporary leaning Rhythmic AC
rhythmic pop and dance
old school hip hop

(Did I get all the format permutations you spouted off listed?)

Tom, no offense, but WTF are you trying to say here?

Over the past five decades, 96.9 was home to several really great radio formats: easy listening, smooth jazz, country, talk; no more now!
Referring to post number 13, saying it is not a Rhythmic AC, which it isn't, but it certainly isn't a Rhythmic contemporary. The heavy base of their format is 90s hip hop and occasional R&B, while Rhythmic CHRs are current focused, with similar genres. 94.5 plays 90s rap the same way 96.9 plays 2010s pop and R and B

Referring to post number 13, saying it is not a Rhythmic AC, which it isn't, but it certainly isn't a Rhythmic contemporary. The heavy base of their format is 90s hip hop and occasional R&B, while Rhythmic CHRs are current focused, with similar genres. 94.5 plays 90s rap the same way 96.9 plays 2010s pop and R and B

OK, thanks for the clarification; I think I got it. Still, I seriously doubt that I'll be listening anytime soon to either station you mentioned, nor, for that matter, to WODS, WBMX, WMJX, WXKS (aka PI$$ 108).

Referring to post number 13, saying it is not a Rhythmic AC, which it isn't, but it certainly isn't a Rhythmic contemporary.

"Ah, A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"....people get hung up on format names and classifications.

Truth is format parameters are always changing as time goes on. Every market is different, every competitive situation is different and no program director is locked into someone's idea of what a formats rules are.

There was a time when the AC format had 85% currents. Then it moved to a point where it had less than 10% currents. (Some AC's played no currents...where was the contemporary?!) And nowthere are more.

Format boundries are constantly in flux and experimentation....as times change and the marketplace changes.

It is hard to define WBQT. It isn't like most Urban AC stations because there's no Whitney Houston or Michael Jackson as one might hear on an Urban AC. But it isn't Urban Contemporary or Rhythmic Contemporary because of all the 90s and early 2000s music. By contrast, Jammin' rarely plays anything more than a few years old. It certainly isn't Rhythmic AC, which refers to a stations like KTWV Los Angeles and XHRM San Diego, which someone who only listened to Top 40 and AC stations growing up would recognize most of the songs, even if they are all by rhythmic artists.

So I think for lack of a better format description, we should call WBQT "Urban AC."

By the way, I'm amazed at how WROR and WZLX are doing so well, both basically playing Classic Rock. Yes, WROR calls itself Classic Hits. But all the selections were more at home on AOR stations 30 years ago, than Top 40 stations. There's no jingles, no Madonna or Prince or Culture Club, rarely even a Huey Lewis or Hall & Oates song. This really is a Classic Rock station that limits itself to rock songs that also had a bit of success on the Top 40 chart. But that still leaves WZLX with plenty of listeners as well, playing the standard Classic Rock library.

I wonder who put WROR together like this, saying to themselves, we won't play anything that leans too pop and certainly nothing that leans dance. No Rick Astley or Thompson Twins. Certainly no Mariah Carey or Gloria Estefan. We won't even play a good deal of the Rod Stewart, Elton John or Billy Joel catalogs if their songs don't fit a specific sound. I can't argue with #1 ratings. But who thought this would work? A Classic Rock station that doesn't call itself by that name, and simply leans a bit more pop than WZLX? We'll call ourselves "Classic Hits." But clearly we only play one very specific type of Classic Hit music.

I wonder who put WROR together like this, saying to themselves, we won't play anything that leans too pop and certainly nothing that leans dance. No Rick Astley or Thompson Twins. Certainly no Mariah Carey or Gloria Estefan. We won't even play a good deal of the Rod Stewart, Elton John or Billy Joel catalogs if their songs don't fit a specific sound. I can't argue with #1 ratings. But who thought this would work? A Classic Rock station that doesn't call itself by that name, and simply leans a bit more pop than WZLX? We'll call ourselves "Classic Hits." But clearly we only play one very specific type of Classic Hit music.

For whatever reason, the "rockier" side of '70s/'80s Top 40 has aged more gracefully than the "poppier" side. Many of the same songs you hear on WROR, we hear in Connecticut on WHCN or straight-ahead classic rock WDRC-FM. I miss a lot of the pop/dance tracks, but apparently a significant portion of the auditorium test audiences never wants to hear them again.

It is hard to define WBQT. It isn't like most Urban AC stations because there's no Whitney Houston or Michael Jackson as one might hear on an Urban AC.

I have in the past heard a few Michael Jackson songs on Hot 96.9 Part of the "best Throwbacks"?

For whatever reason, the "rockier" side of '70s/'80s Top 40 has aged more gracefully than the "poppier" side. Many of the same songs you hear on WROR, we hear in Connecticut on WHCN or straight-ahead classic rock WDRC-FM. I miss a lot of the pop/dance tracks, but apparently a significant portion of the auditorium test audiences never wants to hear them again.

If you want to hear those tracks on a station that actually sounds pretty good, listen to WRBQ in Tampa. They've taken the opposite approach to ROR with all pop and dance, even touching a little bit of the 90s.

The funny thing is Tampa has both types of Classic Hits stations. 104.7 WRBQ, as mentioned above, has the full range of Classic Hits, rock, pop and dance. Meanwhile 107.3 WXGL is like WROR... only rock-oriented Classic Hits. And both stations do great in the Tampa ratings. In the September ratings, WRBQ is #2 and WXGL is #3. And what's #1? A station that also plays only hits from the 60s, 70s and 80s... all very soft, 105.5 WDUV.

It is hard to define WBQT. It isn't like most Urban AC stations because there's no Whitney Houston or Michael Jackson as one might hear on an Urban AC. But it isn't Urban Contemporary or Rhythmic Contemporary because of all the 90s and early 2000s music. By contrast, Jammin' rarely plays anything more than a few years old. It certainly isn't Rhythmic AC, which refers to a stations like KTWV Los Angeles and XHRM San Diego, which someone who only listened to Top 40 and AC stations growing up would recognize most of the songs, even if they are all by rhythmic artists.

So I think for lack of a better format description, we should call WBQT "Urban AC."
This is very accurate. Though the station is really a hybrid of a classic hip hop and Urban AC, occasionally playing a current Top 40 or rhythmic hit fitting the 90s gold centric format.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom