• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Philadelphia Radio Ratings: September 2015

pjc1961

Star Participant
The September 2015 survey period covers Thu. 8/13/2015 - Wed. 9/9/2015.
Publicly released data for subscribing stations age 6+ overall at the links below:

Philadelphia: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb007

Next report will be for the October 2015 survey period covering Thu. 9/10/2015 - Wed. 10/7/2015.
The data release date is scheduled for Mon. 10/26/2015.

AllAccess.com September 2015 PPM Analysis by Research Director Inc.
including top 5 overall, top 5 in 25-54, top 5 in 18-34 and top 5 in 18-49
(Philadelphia is discussed seventh at the link below):

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...rch-director-inc-exclusive-sept-ppm-analysis-

How does XTU do it, with the worst restricted signal of the bunch. Two sports stations surviving, go figure. DAS-A should be Standards or Classic Oldies, instead of the junk which is on there now....

Just realized WTEL didn't even make it on the map. Well actually most of the AM stations didn't.

Country music has very dedicated fans who love the music, and this station knows its audience very well. The combination leads to success.

Don't you think they would do even better with a greater signal, there are many country fans in the urban inner city areas also, where 92.5 is spotty, and their Northeast null. I never could understand when Beasley owned 92.5 and 96.5 they never moved the country format to the much better signal on 96.5, which was floundering. I don't think it would of been a problem for listeners to move over to 96.5. In the past 92.5 was always a problem signal in the metro, due to their original pattern which embraced going Northwest with the potshop road transmitter and MMR on the PSFS. WIFI never had a listenable signal going Southeast, and when they finally moved to the farm many limitations were taken into consideration.

Just realized WTEL didn't even make it on the map. Well actually most of the AM stations didn't.

I think that's more because they don't subscribe. WEMG and WHAT have been no shows for a while. WFIL and WNTP haven't shown for a long while. WKDN would probably have at least a handful of listeners who found them after they ditched FM. But also look.. WJBR and WSTW don't show up (But the Townsquare Atlantic City stations do?)

So yes, while the numbers may be miniscule, I have a feeling that's more because they don't subscribe.

Don't you think they would do even better with a greater signal, there are many country fans in the urban inner city areas also, where 92.5 is spotty, and their Northeast null. I never could understand when Beasley owned 92.5 and 96.5 they never moved the country format to the much better signal on 96.5, which was floundering. I don't think it would of been a problem for listeners to move over to 96.5. In the past 92.5 was always a problem signal in the metro, due to their original pattern which embraced going Northwest with the potshop road transmitter and MMR on the PSFS. WIFI never had a listenable signal going Southeast, and when they finally moved to the farm many limitations were taken into consideration.

There's a ton of country stations in outlying areas to fill where WXTU's signal might not be great. WCTO in Allentown. WIOV west of Reading. WXCY and WDSD outside of Wilmington. WPUR and WKMK/WTHJ in Jersey.

92.5 covers the majority of the Philadelphia market well. No need to confuse listeners/blow up heritage unless it's REALLY needed.

WMMR doing there thing #1 in the all important 25-54. WOGL is not even in the top 7 in the all important demo. They better adapt quick and move into the 80s and early 90s or they are going to have an audience that is way too old to matter for the sales demo. Even Ben-FM is higher in the important demos than WOGL I wonder how 97.5 the Fanatic's morning show is doing vs Cataldi at WIP. I heard Gargano was on 2 tenths of a point behind him last month. I agree about WXTU. That is a great station.

That is true, but WXTU plays a much different Country variety and presents the music like no other country outlet, they are unique compared to the other servings on the dial, so even if these areas have their own Country station, they probably would prefer XTU's overall sound much better. Improve the signal and grab more listeners. As for OGL, as long as they think the Bob Pantano crowd, who embrace Motown and R&B are still listening, they will never change and sound like the other CBS Classic Hit stations, thus loosing important age groups. How about another overplayed stale tune by the Temps, Tops, Supremes, Wonder, Gaye, its been going on for years.

That is true, but WXTU plays a much different Country variety and presents the music like no other country outlet, they are unique compared to the other servings on the dial, so even if these areas have their own Country station, they probably would prefer XTU's overall sound much better. Improve the signal and grab more listeners. As for OGL, as long as they think the Bob Pantano crowd, who embrace Motown and R&B are still listening, they will never change and sound like the other CBS Classic Hit stations, thus loosing important age groups. How about another overplayed stale tune by the Temps, Tops, Supremes, Wonder, Gaye, its been going on for years.

CBS pulled the plug on classic hits in Boston (WODS) even after the station adapted, somewhat, by dropping almost all '60s and adding a lot of '80s. Why wouldn't it do the same in Philadelphia if WOGL isn't reaching people the advertisers think will buy?

That is true, but WXTU plays a much different Country variety and presents the music like no other country outlet, they are unique compared to the other servings on the dial, so even if these areas have their own Country station, they probably would prefer XTU's overall sound much better. Improve the signal and grab more listeners.

How do you propose that this station "improve its signal"?

It's already maxed out. While WIP-FM covers 4.85 million in its usable 65 dbu signal, WXTU comes in at 4.58 million. The difference lies mostly in the fact that WIP puts a 65 dbu into most of Wilmington, while WXTU does not; Wilmington is not in the Philadelphia MSA.

As for OGL, as long as they think the Bob Pantano crowd, who embrace Motown and R&B are still listening, they will never change and sound like the other CBS Classic Hit stations, thus loosing important age groups. How about another overplayed stale tune by the Temps, Tops, Supremes, Wonder, Gaye, its been going on for years.

They are 8th in 25-54 and top 5 in 35-54 in a multi-book average. If they change, and they will over time, it will be gradual. You don't mess around much with the format of a station that is tied for 4th in gross billings.

Last edited:
I assume the OP meant, WXTU should of swapped frequencies with WZMP, that would be the only solution for increased coverage, they are boxed in now. They are maxed with Power, Antenna Height or relocation.

Hello David. In reference to OGL, i thought the 25-54 was the most important demo for sales...but you are saying they are 4th in gross billings. How does that happen whey they are not that close to the top 5 in 25-54? Just wondering how this works.

How does XTU do it, with the worst restricted signal of the bunch. Two sports stations surviving, go figure. DAS-A should be Standards or Classic Oldies, instead of the junk which is on there now....

WDAS-AM was Classic Oldies until Butterball passed.

If I'm not mistaken, back in 1984 when they switched to country (the WKTU clone format failed miserably,) I understand that the reason why they switched to country was that they did not have a great signal into Center City. But they had good coverage in the burbs where country would be more popular. (Like NASH in NYC is dealing with now.) The antenna, if I remember correctly, was not in the antenna farm in Roxborough at the time. Part of the problem was the spacing with WOBM 92.7 in Toms River. I think WOBM might have either done some signal adjusting paid for by whoever owned WXTU at the time or just accepted the interference when the 92.5 antenna moved. Either way, Seashore Broadcasting, the owners at the time of WOBM got $$ for this.

Once country was on 92.5 and did well, even when the antenna was moved, they stuck with the format.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom