• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kfi iboc

Since there's very little excitement these days on this forum, other forums on this site, and LA area radio, I thought I would inject a tiny bit of exciting news and wonder why I'm the first to post that KFI's IBOC has been down at least since this afternoon 😎👍

Since there's very little excitement these days on this forum, other forums on this site, and LA area radio, I thought I would inject a tiny bit of exciting news and wonder why I'm the first to post that KFI's IBOC has been down at least since this afternoon ����

I thought it had been established that it had been off for months!

My bad then
Trying to stir something here LOL

Ahhhhhh, AM IBOC. I'm the one person in CA that likes AM "HD" when done right. But, I totally get why they haven't fixed it.

Regarding KFI and iHeart, do they have an under performing FM in the market they could switch to a KFI simulcast?

Last edited:
Ahhhhhh, AM IBOC. I'm the one person in CA that likes AM "HD" when done right. But, I totally get why they haven't fixed it.

Regarding KFI in iHeart, do they have an under performing FM in the market they could switch to a KFI simulcast?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Been down that road before. The iHeart Los Angeles cluster is an amazing success story, particularly on the FM side. In order to sacrifice one of their performing FMs to simulcast KFI, the investment in short-term lost dollar revenue is too much to make the deal feasible. It is unfortunate, because I believe KFI/iHeart management suffers from a huge failure of imagination as to what the channel could actually be. If it is programmed right and with the benefit of a simulcasted FM stick, they could literally position themselves as THE talk and news outlet of the west coast if not the country.

Last edited:

Regarding KFI and iHeart, do they have an under performing FM in the market they could switch to a KFI simulcast?

No, there is no under-performing FM. In fact, in markets like Pittsburgh, San Diego and others iHeart has pulled back on news/talk on FM. Likely they see the problem today to be the format, not the band.

Since there's very little excitement these days on this forum, other forums on this site, and LA area radio, I thought I would inject a tiny bit of exciting news and wonder why I'm the first to post that KFI's IBOC has been down at least since this afternoon 😎👍

As posted previously, the HD was turned off permanently.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Been down that road before. The iHeart Los Angeles cluster is an amazing success story, particularly on the FM side. In order to sacrifice one of their performing FMs to simulcast KFI, the investment in short-term lost dollar revenue is too much to make the deal feasible. It is unfortunate, because I believe KFI/iHeart management suffers from a huge failure of imagination as to what the channel could actually be. If it is programmed right and with the benefit of a simulcasted FM stick, they could literally position themselves as THE talk and news outlet of the west coast if not the country.

My experience with iHeart is limited to Northern CA, not Southern CA. Wish the same could be said for San Francisco or Sacramento.

KFI-iHeart better than KFI-FM

KFI already has iHeart the app and it works better on my phone than an under performing FM would with all the multipath & hiss that would accompany it.

I just checked my data usage and I have no problems not hitting my limit. However, if iHeart could be whitelisted on more carriers it would help getting more low data folks on board in addition to megabyte counters.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom