• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

102.1 fm

Uh-huh. Why am I not surprised?

Just one more reason for me to think the loopholes EMF exploits should be closed, with a sunset to grandfathering.

EMF and their ilk should have their tax exempt status revoked and be forced to pay taxes as a commercial enterprise does. That would force them to sell off much of their ill gotten empire.

Uh-huh. Why am I not surprised?

Just one more reason for me to think the loopholes EMF exploits should be closed, with a sunset to grandfathering.
EMF and their ilk should have their tax exempt status revoked and be forced to pay taxes as a commercial enterprise does. That would force them to sell off much of their ill gotten empire.

Actually, here is what I had in mind.

1. Any full-power non-commercial station operating in the commercial band (i.e., 92.1 to 107.9 MHz) is ineligible for a waiver of the main studio rule, meaning all such stations must maintain a studio and offices within the required radius of their community of license (COL) where programming originates, a staff presence is maintained, and the Public File can be inspected during normal business hours. I would allow a waiver for situations where one or more stations that are more or less contiguous geographically utilize a common main studio situated roughly in the middle of the combined coverage area, but would place a mileage limit as to signal penetration outside the market of the "main" station, just as is allowed now for commercial operations (i.e. Liberman's "Que Buena", Entravision's "Estrella").

2. Translators must be either filling in a coverage gap in the same market of the station being retransmitted or be extending same only to an adjacent market. A translator could not be license to retransmit another translator.

3. Reinstatement of minimum local public affairs and PSA requirements. Challenges to license renewals could be based upon the lack of locally-originated programming (as is well-known, EMF simply puts a satellite receiver at the transmitter and flips the switch ... this reinstatement goes along with the main studio requirement).

If such rules were enacted, with a phased implementation based on market size and a firm cut-off date for total compliance, no extensions or waivers, it would cause more financial damage at EMF than paying taxes would, and would cause a lot of stations to go back into private hands as well as free up some translator frequencies that could be used by struggling AM stations.

Where the law of unintended consequences kicks in are several state networks (who were the stations that the satellite-fed translator rule was written for) use the same main studio waivers and translator rules to cover their states. How do you not kill them off without turning this into a free speech issue?

Where the law of unintended consequences kicks in are several state networks (who were the stations that the satellite-fed translator rule was written for) use the same main studio waivers and translator rules to cover their states. How do you not kill them off without turning this into a free speech issue?

How about waivers only for stations operated by accredited educational organizations?

I didn't think about several state NPR networks having unstaffed stations in the commercial band. But Minnesota and Maine come to mind right away. In some of the more remote parts of their states, they have several satellite outlets between 92 and 108 MHz. In Duluth alone, Minnesota Public Radio has two stations in the commercial band: 100.5 is News/Talk at 100,000 watts and 92.9 is Classical at 70,000 watts. So these are not low-power translators. I suppose the state networks could make some arrangements with their state universities if required by the F.C.C. But then, I'm sure EMF could do the same with a Christian university.

Donations are what keeps the acquisitions going at EMF. From a few years back=

WFRW 88.1 FM in Webster, New York, KIFR 88.3 FM in Alice, Texas, and KXBC 89.1 FM in Garberville, California will be sold for $655,000 and Family Radio will retain the rights to use the two call signs with Family Radio branding (WFRW, KIFR).

EMF plans to use the three Family Radio stations as outlets for its contemporary Christian programming. EMF requested main studio waivers for all three stations, in order to operate the stations more than 25 miles away from their cities of license. According to its FCC filing, EMF is seeking permission to relocate WFRW’s main studio in Webster, New York all the way across the country to “the main studio of EMF’s co-owned station KLVR (NCE-FM), Middletown, California” in order to use the station as a satellite of KLVR to broadcast its K-LOVE programming. Similarly, EMF is asking to relocate KXBC’s main studio to the KLVR site. It’s additionally requesting that Alice, Texas-licensed KIFR’s main studio be relocated to EMF’s co-owned KLRD in Yucaipa, CA to use it as a satellite of KLRD, broadcasting AIR-1 programming

EMF is also in the process of purchasing commercial radio station WYND-FM in Hatteras, North Carolina from Hengooch License. Currently a commercial radio station, EMF plans to convert WYND to non-commercial status and air K-LOVE programming from KLVR in California.

Donations are what keeps the acquisitions going at EMF.

I understand that, and I understand everything else you posted.

But this thread has been almost entirely how we disagree with EMF acquiring so many stations and removing mainstream music formats from the commercial FM band. The key word there is "disagree" ... close to 70 posts and no one saying "isn't it great that EMF did this".

To suddenly get a message soliciting donations for them in this thread is likely as offensive to the rest of the participants in this thread (or at least the vast majority of them) as it is to me. Go back and re-read the thread. Do we seem like the kind of people who want EMF to get bigger?

I'm surprised you didn't realize my post was ENTIRELY SARCASTIC. It was not a PSA for EMF. I have quite a few theological issues about it's operation, but this
forum is not the place to discuss those points. Hope that explains it.....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom