• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

102.1 fm

Please furnish a link when reporting news.

Please also put more than just call letters and/or frequency in the subject line, too.

"102.1 sold to EMF" would have been much more eye-catching when scanning the lists for threads. Especially for those of us who scan all recent posts across all the boards rather than access each board individually.

KPRI-FM playlist links:

http://playback.mediabase.com/player_large.asp?StationID=KPRI-FM (on-air only 7 day listing)

www.mediabase.com/whatsong/whatsong.asp?var_s=075080082073045070077 (on-air only 2 day listing - "Today" and "Yesterday")

http://kpri.tunegenie.com/onair/ (on-air and online 30 day listing - not as thorough as at the links above)

As of 2:13 PM PT, the station has left the air (no signal being broadcast). The last song heard on-air was "Closer To Fine" by the Indigo Girls.
There was no announcement before the transmitter was turned off.

However, after about an 8-9 minute break (or songs that weren't captured by TuneGenie.com), the online stream resumed at 2:22 PM with "Sedona" by Houndmouth.
The online stream playlist can be seen at the kpri.TuneGenie.com link supplied above.

Browser player link: http://player.streamtheworld.com/liveplayer.php?CALLSIGN=KPRIFMAAC
Streaming URL link: http://2503.live.streamtheworld.com:443/KPRIFMAAC_SC

Update: at 2:41PM PT, KPRI returned to the air with "Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve.
The only difference is that the RDS function has been disabled.

Last edited:
Sad. A big loss. While KPRI played it too safe IMO, and did not let its air staff exhibit much personality, it still was an over the airwaves AAA station with a relatively decent signal in an important American city. True that we can find similar stations online and on satellite, but it is just plain sad that as LA lost its AAA, KSCA on 101.9 FM so many years back, now San Diego is losing its (heritage) AAA station at 102.1.

KPRI did lots of good things for local radio, including preserving Fusion Jazz on FM on Sunday nights after KIFM flipped to Easy 98.1. But at least we still have KIFM as a general market station; with today's sale, 102.1 becomes a niche targeted station, and as such this is a loss to most of the market's mainstream listeners who are looking for music content (such as U2, Stevie Wonder, Ed Sheeran, The Beatles, Sting, etc.) as found on radio in all major cities around the country and around the globe, but with now one less option in America's Finest City.

Yes, it was a Triple A format in some way, shape or form since signing on 4/1/1996.

After an on-air announcement about the ownership/format change that ran from 3:16 PM to 3:24 PM PT, "Forever Young" by Bob Dylan was played.
Video and audio of that announcement by Compass Radio of San Diego co-owner and CEO Robert John Hughes is at the station's Facebook page -
link here: https://www.facebook.com/kprifm/videos/vb.68324790840/10153059900595841/?type=2&theater

At about 3:30 PM PT, the transmitter was briefly turned off, then back on again with EMF K-Love programming joined in progress.
The transmitter is being intermittently turned off and on, with choppy audio being the result.
After about 15 minutes the audio seems to have been stabilized.

they r using k-love on 102.1 siginal it could be nationsal feed?

I do not believe EMF programs their K-Love format locally anywhere. It is, unless someone knows of an exception, all out of EMF HQ in Sacramento.

I do not believe EMF programs their K-Love format locally anywhere. It is, unless someone knows of an exception, all out of EMF HQ in Sacramento.

The only exception is at one point they did do some "local imaging" at their station in Nashville TN (I don't know if their still doing that) ... but yes 99.9% of them outside of a local ID at the TOH and public affairs programming are not local. [They do some concert promo insertions though on their Full Power FM's with their iPump system that can do some local content stored on their satellite receivers]

This has to be one of the most abrupt changes to EMF KLove I have seen - Station co-owner announced it and within no time the format flipped. No goodbye shows etc...

Looks like KPRI "went dark" on their web stream about the same time that they turned over the 102.1 FM frequency to EMF's control [I would guess the station going dark earlier in the day was so EMF could "patch" their rack at the transmitter site in] and then going dark briefly at format flip was to switch from the KPRI STL to the EMF rack.

Last edited:
I have a feeling Entercom or someone else will come along and force EMF to turn over 102.1 FM, by asking the FCC for the signal and/or studio, 102.1 is in the commercial area, from 92.1 to 107.9 is "zoned" commercial, so any non -profit in that area can get forced out by a corporate because non-profits dont have priority in that area.

I have a feeling Entercom or someone else will come along and force EMF to turn over 102.1 FM, by asking the FCC for the signal and/or studio, 102.1 is in the commercial area, from 92.1 to 107.9 is "zoned" commercial, so any non -profit in that area can get forced out by a corporate because non-profits dont have priority in that area.

That is note even remotely how it works.

This was a valid transaction. No one can "force" anyone to do anything.

Your logic is faulty. Non-commercial broadcasters can own stations in the commercial band. The "zoning" is irrelevant. The only "forcing" that can exist is that a full-power commercial station can force a non-commercial translator to vacate a frequency if the full-power station is going to move there.

Case in point: Two of Pacifica's stations, KPFA in Berkeley (94.1) and WBAI in New York City (99.5), are on commercial frequencies as well.

Under your incorrect presumption, last year's transfer to EMF of the 92.7 trimulcast in Thousand Oaks/Fountain Valley/Adelanto and of 97.5 Goleta-Santa Barbara could not have occurred either.

You still have much to learn, my friend.

Last edited:

While EMF did try to program KOBC 90.7 in Joplin and WQFL 100.9 locally shortly after acquiring them, I'm pretty sure that didn't last more than a couple of years. By the time the devastating 2011 tornado hit Joplin, KOBC was running the national feed.

EMF at least tried operating studios outside of Sacramento. I don't know if they still do, however. EMF also had studios in Kansas City and Indianapolis. The morning show on K-Love moved to Indy after EMF got WKLU 101.9, and some of the Air 1 programming was produced in KC.

Interesting to observe the station's playlist during its last 6 hours on the air. Certainly a good-bye theme prevailed, as well as lamenting that it needed to be done due to the economics of independent radio in this day and age (even though KPRI seemed to have a roster of top notch agency run advertisers including Toyota, Sleep Train, Nissan, Sea World, etc.):
3:24 PM BOB DYLAN Forever Young
3:14 PM CAKE The Distance
3:03 PM DONAVON FRANKENREITER Big Wave
2:59 PM COUNTING CROWS Big Yellow Taxi f/V. Carlton
2:56 PM CURE Boys Don't Cry
2:53 PM NEON TREES Everybody Talks
2:48 PM U2 With Or Without You
2:44 PM WAR ON DRUGS Under The Pressure
2:41 PM VERVE Bitter Sweet Symphony
2:10 PM INDIGO GIRLS Closer To Fine
2:07 PM GOOD OLD WAR Tell Me What You Want From Me
2:03 PM STEVIE WONDER Higher Ground
2:00 PM ALABAMA SHAKES Don't Wanna Fight
1:56 PM ED SHEERAN Sing
1:50 PM GUNS N' ROSES Patience
1:43 PM GUNS N' ROSES Paradise City
1:40 PM BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS Jamming
1:37 PM RAY LAMONTAGNE She's The One
1:32 PM DON HENLEY Boys Of Summer
1:29 PM CLASH Train In Vain
1:26 PM GEORGE EZRA Blame It On Me
1:21 PM CHURCH Under The Milky Way
1:09 PM NATHANIEL RATELIFF/NIGHTSWEATS S.O.B
1:04 PM JACKSON BROWNE Running On Empty
1:01 PM DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE The Ghosts Of Beverly Drive
12:56 PM ARCADE FIRE We Used To Wait
12:52 PM GENERAL PUBLIC Tenderness
12:49 PM BEIRUT No No No
12:40 PM PETER GABRIEL Big Time
12:36 PM TRAIN Drive By
12:33 PM GARY CLARK JR The Healing
12:30 PM JIMMY EAT WORLD The Middle
12:26 PM ROLLING STONES Tumbling Dice
12:22 PM INCUBUS Drive
12:12 PM BEN FOLDS Phone In A Pool
12:08 PM JEWEL Who Will Save Your Soul
12:04 PM TALKING HEADS This Must Be The Place...
11:59 AM FRAY Over My Head (Cable Car)
11:56 AM CLASH Rock The Casbah
11:52 AM ELLE KING Ex's and Oh's
11:48 AM POSTAL SERVICE Such Great Heights
11:37 AM R.E.M. Losing My Religion
11:34 AM ALT-J Left Hand Free
11:31 AM ZOMBIES Time Of The Season
11:28 AM ANDERSON EAST Satisfy Me
11:23 AM BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS Stir It Up
11:19 AM MAIA SHARP Nothing But The Radio (2015)
11:10 AM VIOLENT FEMMES Gone Daddy Gone
11:06 AM EL VY Return To The Moon
11:01 AM PINK FLOYD Have A Cigar
10:56 AM JANE'S ADDICTION Jane Says
10:52 AM MY MORNING JACKET Compound Fracture
10:49 AM DAVID BOWIE Heroes
10:39 AM HOZIER Take Me To Church
10:33 AM SUPERTRAMP Goodbye Stranger
10:29 AM KILLERS When You Were Young
10:25 AM BEATLES Come Together
10:22 AM LEON BRIDGES Coming Home
10:16 AM LIVE Lightning Crashes
10:06 AM ELVIS COSTELLO Pump It Up
10:02 AM HOUNDMOUTH Say It
9:59 AM DOORS Love Her Madly
9:56 AM SPOON Do You
9:52 AM KEANE Everybody's Changing
9:46 AM SOCIAL DISTORTION Ball And Chain
9:43 AM J.JOHNSON/D. MATTHEWS A Pirate Looks At Forty (Live)
9:40 AM BAD SUNS Cardiac Arrest
9:38 AM RAMONES Blitzkrieg Bop
9:33 AM CRANBERRIES Dreams
9:29 AM BLACK KEYS Fever
9:26 AM GAVIN DEGRAW I Don't Want To Be
9:21 AM KALEO All The Pretty Girls
9:17 AM DOBIE GRAY Drift Away
9:13 AM GEORGE EZRA Budapest
9:10 AM JOE JACKSON Is She Really Going Out With..

Another station ruined by K-love. You have my condolences.

Amen and I mean AMEN!!! LOL
Shame another station with something resembling a unique and diverse playlist bites the dust and very sad it went out this way no no warning, no fanfare, no goodbye. Just the continued homogenization of music radio in the USA .... EMF doesn't care about having an audience. It wasn't that long ago that KPRI cracked the Top 10 in 6+ and certainly did well in their target demo. For ~~~ 10 years I even did business with them from the time they were SETS 102-KPRI Even with the most recent ~~~ 1.3 6+ numbers, that will drop to 0.2 maybe or less. 92.7 as JILL-FM and then Playlist 92-7 even had ~~~ 0.3-0.4 IIRC, now the 92.7 frequency doesn't register a blip.
So the homogenization continues, what's next a National iHeart radio format on OTA stations? Why the hell not.... Just reflective of the audiences that are attracted by plastic and redundant pop music.
Glad the rest of America still has some radio programming worth listening to.

Ah, here we go again - another great music format killed by Christian music broadcast over a satellite dish with no local personalities. This is just what makes me mad about EMF - trying to destroy well-known stations (think KHJK Houston, KMCQ Seattle, WCCC Hartford) just to make another dollar. KPRI will be missed in the San Diego market - and there were tons of listeners throughout the country via their online stream.
Just like with CBS, iHeart and Cumulus, EMF has taken over dozens of stations throughout the country, just to make a profit. And I thought EMF was a non-profit...
Hopefully someone in San Diego can revive the AAA format soon.

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom