• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Carlos Diaz -- CBS5 Wake Up Arizona

I missed almost all of CBS5 Wake Up Arizona but tuned into the end to see Carlos Diaz. He looked familiar but couldn't place him. A quick Google search and Carlos has a ton of national experience via CNN and ESPN. Based out of Las Vegas? Looking at his website, Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook pages, there is no indication that he's working at KPHO. As a person who owns/maintains a personal website, MAJOR FOUL with not updating your current employment. Unless it's temporary...

<Break />

Speaking of not having a website updated, KPHO.com still has Adam Longo's bio in the Anchor section! We already know that the CBS5 webmaster works on his/her own time: it took several days before Yetta Gibson was displayed. Maybe KPHO should hire the person who updates the 12News website. Fay Fredricks bio was gone as soon as she signed with ABC15.

Earlier in the program, Yetta introduced Carlos and told about his extensive experience (but got a couple of things mixed up in the process). He indicated that he and Yetta had been friends for years and Yetta specifically recommended him for this job. Carlos also mentioned that he didn't even have a card key to get in the building this morning. So, it stands to reason that he came down from Vegas (or wherever) very quickly. This might be why he hasn't updated most of his social media yet. He does have a CBS 5 twitter account @CarlosCBS5.

I think Carlos will be a good addition to the CBS 5 morning show. He's got a lot of personality which should help to liven up mornings for them. BTW, it appears that the station updated its staff bios to include Carlos and moved Heidi over to the anchor section as traffic and fill-in anchor. So, is Lina De Florias still with the station? She is (still) not listed on the CBS 5 staff bio section nor Channel 3's.

I think Carlos will be a good addition to the CBS 5 morning show. He's got a lot of personality which should help to liven up mornings for them. BTW, it appears that the station updated its staff bios to include Carlos and moved Heidi over to the anchor section as traffic and fill-in anchor. So, is Lina De Florias still with the station? She is (still) not listed on the CBS 5 staff bio section nor Channel 3's.

Lina De Florias is still with 3/5. She has been anchoring 3TV weekend evening news for the past few weeks and, then, reporting during the week. I just saw her on 3TV news at 10pm last night.

Scorecaaaaads! Getcher scorecaaaads heah!!!! Cahn't tell the playahs witchout yer scorecaaaaads!!!!!

Scorecaaaaads! Getcher scorecaaaads heah!!!! Cahn't tell the playahs witchout yer scorecaaaaads!!!!!

I must admit that it is a pretty funny situation. The official line was "we are combining our reporting staff, but the anchor teams will be separate". Then, they blow up the morning news and send Nicole Crites to 3. Lina De Florias has anchored on both 3 and 5 at times. Ashley Di Martino has shown up on both stations as well doing the weather. And, of course, all the sports guys show up on both stations.

I wonder why they don't just co-brand the news with a name such as "Arizona News Now" or something. You would also think that a combined news team would at least have one reporter covering Northern Arizona (but Northern Arizona hasn't been a priority for years now).

I wonder why they don't just co-brand the news with a name such as "Arizona News Now" or something.

I think KSAZ has already cornered the market on "News Now" (their online streaming news link). Not that it actually serves a purpose.

I think KSAZ has already cornered the market on "News Now" (their online streaming news link). Not that it actually serves a purpose.

Well, there's also some sort of political organization called "Wake Up Arizona", but that didn't stop CBS 5 for adopting the name for their newscast. I use the term "newscast" lightly since it is basically anchor banter, weather, traffic, and entertainment along with the "Top 5 Things You Need to Know" (which is the newsiest part of the show). Whoops...almost forgot "The Daily Duel"! They should call it "Wake Up With Yetta and Carlos".

Overall she is okay, but those little one word comments she makes while others are reporting the stories would annoy me to no end.

Overall she is okay, but those little one word comments she makes while others are reporting the stories would annoy me to no end.

I noticed that this morning while Carlos was speaking. She kept interjecting, "Mmm.hmm", "Yeah", "Of Course", "OK", "Oh", "Can you imagine", "Alright", etc... that would just drive me mad and yes, it is annoying.

I noticed that this morning while Carlos was speaking. She kept interjecting, "Mmm.hmm", "Yeah", "Of Course", "OK", "Oh", "Can you imagine", "Alright", etc... that would just drive me mad and yes, it is annoying.

If it were a traditional newscast, I would agree but it is not. It's more like a television version of an am radio show, where the hosts usually banter back and forth, talk over each other, and so forth.

I prefer a bit more news, but I generally like Wake Up Arizona for what it is. Yetta, Carlos, Katie, and Heidi are good at what they do.

Today I was driving on the I-10 going (south) east over the Salt River Bridge and saw an electronic billboard with Yetta and Carlos. So now CBS5 is branding Wake Up Arizona as being hosted by both.

Today I was driving on the I-10 going (south) east over the Salt River Bridge and saw an electronic billboard with Yetta and Carlos. So now CBS5 is branding Wake Up Arizona as being hosted by both.

I wonder why they don't give Carlos a larger role. I think giving Carlos a larger role (a chair at the desk with Yetta perhaps???) would actually enhance the show. OK, I admit that it seems a bit TOO much Yetta at times.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom