• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Nielsen, Beasley Probe Possible Tampa Ratings Tampering. Bubba guilty.

The article I read in TBO.commentioned metering devices and although it's beyond me, I'm sure that some tech savvy people would know how to manipulate the meters and nothing would surprise me..... I guess all the facts will come out after Neilsen completes their investigation into this.

The article I read in TBO.commentioned metering devices and although it's beyond me, I'm sure that some tech savvy people would know how to manipulate the meters and nothing would surprise me..... I guess all the facts will come out after Neilsen completes their investigation into this.

It's not "manipulating the meters" in a technical sense that is being investigated here. What they are looking into, per the reports, is contact by a person at a station with a household that has meters with the intent of encouraging them to create more listening occasions to that person's station.

No "tech savvy" people are needed. Just some people with meters who listen more and thus generate more detections.

Bubba The Love Sponge 'Best Of' Show Running Today Following Friday's Nielsen...

From All Access:

Bubba The Love Sponge 'Best Of' Show Running Today Following Friday's Nielsen Allegations

TODAY (9/28) ALL ACCESS has confirmed that the show airing is a "Best Of," and there's no word on when BUBBA will be returning to the airwaves live. BUBBA was in "Best Of" mode on FRIDAY (9/25), as well, telling FOX 13 NEWS/TAMPA that he was unaware of the allegations and was off the air for "treatment of an injury following a fall."

Could this be the beginning of the end for Bubba at Beasley?

If this comes out as true, I believe this would be the end for him and Beasley. I also have to wonder if this won't lead to him getting dropped by other companies just to insure themselves against this happening elsewhere, if it hasn't already happened.

If this comes out as true, I believe this would be the end for him and Beasley. I also have to wonder if this won't lead to him getting dropped by other companies just to insure themselves against this happening elsewhere, if it hasn't already happened.

According to AllAccess Nielsen is holding the Tampa numbers back until they do something ...... investigation, etc. "Nielsen just announced that they will delay Tampa ratings "to allow for completion of additional Quality Assurance steps."

I guess they ran a "best of" today (Monday), as they did last Friday. Bubba is claiming he is off the air recovering from some sort of a fall

Although the station he is on has crappy 6+ numbers, my sources that have seen the "real" numbers assure me he does quite well.

It was mentioned to me that this was not the first time this has been a concern with him.

The people Beasley blew out to flip to Bubba radio must be laughing on the beach.

So are we to take from this that his numbers came in really strong this last period? How would Nielsen know if someone affiliated with Bubba contacted someone with a meter? Can anyone send in a complaint? I expected the station to perform better overall, I still like the format. They could lose the Kansas song, but yeah. I don't know if this is a career ending thing, people have survived it in the past. Leslee Lacey had some ratings controversy back in the day and now she does the traffic for Channel 8.

Bubba Guilty

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headl...ting-bubba-the-love-sponge-for-ratings-fraud/

Beasley Media Group announced today that following an investigation into Nielsen’s allegations of attempted ratings distortion activity it has determined that Todd Clem (AKA, ‘Bubba The Love Sponge’), who provides syndicated programming as an independent contractor to radio station WBRN 98.7 in the Tampa Bay radio market, was contacted directly by a PPM (Portable People Meter) holder and subsequently attempted to influence the listening habits of the PPM holder. Nielsen Audio confirmed that Mr. Clem’s conduct has no impact on the Tampa Bay radio market ratings because the improper activity was discovered in a timely manner and Nielsen moved quickly to remove the PPM holder’s results from the survey. However, due to Mr. Clem’s attempt to influence the listening of a PPM Panelist, Beasley’s station, WBRN-FM (98.7 MHz), will not be included in the September 2015 ratings report. Beasley Media Group President Bruce Beasley stated, “We were completely unaware of Mr. Clem’s actions and moved quickly to cooperate fully with Nielsen once they brought the allegations to our attention. We thank Nielsen for their work to ensure the accuracy of forthcoming ratings. “Beasley strongly condemns the actions of Mr. Clem, who has provided syndicated programming to radio broadcasters for many years and is not a Company employee. We are taking appropriate steps to ensure that such conduct does not occur in the future. These steps include, but are not limited to, compliance training for Mr. Clem and his employees and the distribution of guidelines reiterating the importance of avoiding conduct that could cause ratings distortion, to all Beasley employees.”

So when does the Christmas stunt start? Friday?

So are we to take from this that his numbers came in really strong this last period? How would Nielsen know if someone affiliated with Bubba contacted someone with a meter? Can anyone send in a complaint? I expected the station to perform better overall, I still like the format. They could lose the Kansas song, but yeah. I don't know if this is a career ending thing, people have survived it in the past. Leslee Lacey had some ratings controversy back in the day and now she does the traffic for Channel 8.

Nielsen investigates a change to abnormally high single station listening by a whole household. Their systems flag the data, and there is some kind of follow up. Since the data is collected on a daily basis, it is pretty easy to isolate binge listening by a whole household.

Engineer for the show has left, to take a role with a local television station starting at the end of the month.

Byron

You mean a guy who cuckolded out to his best friend, secretly recorded it and SOLD the tape is a scumbag? NO WAY.

This piece of filth should be blacklisted from the business.

This piece of filth should be blacklisted from the business.

I was shocked when he left Sirius to be on internet-based "IO Radio" or whatnot "for more money". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Orlando's most accurate gunslinger Shannon Burke went on there post-jail. Doubt he was getting more money than when he was on Real Radio 104.1

I was even more surprised that several years later, he ended up back on the radio. Didn't do amazingly, but well enough to keep his job.

I was flabbergasted when Beasley flipped 98.7 to "Bubba" and JVC thought they could get a real winner out of a not-even-a-rimshot signal in West Palm by programming it with rock and Bubba.

Then Bubba's Orlando affiliate decided to dump him.

..and now, after lackluster ratings on his "flagship", we get to hear about all this???

I'm not doubting this man can get ratings (OK, maybe now I am...). However, the blatant lie about "making more money" online, having fans support them with donations during said time because Bubba was "paying for his staff out of pocket", then his sudden radio resurgence makes me think he's not so much good at radio more than he is a master manipulator of people in media...he convinced Howard to save him from the Nipplegate fallout, convinced a streaming company to take him on when Howard wasn't chummy with him post-sex tape, and after realizing he's not the next podcast sensation ala Mark Maron, convinced several owners that putting him on would be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Got it in some Beasley bigwig's head that a 24/7 "Bubba" format would have them rake in the dough. Perhaps realizing this wasn't happening, seeing that his mug never makes the news like it did 10-15 years ago, and realizing his Beasley contract was iron-clad, he "planted" a rogue PPM household to get him a newsworthy story.

Now that its been confirmed that Emperor Bubba wears no clothes, I agree. If there were a blacklist of radio people that I could implement, he and Steven W. Blood (another master manipulator...look that name up if you're bored one day) would be the first two names on it.

Radio-X

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom