• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WRQX shifting back to Mix?

atthestars

Star Participant
Anyone notice 107.3 has been quietly incorporating the word "Mix" back into some of their imaging recently?

Plus they've spiked in some definitely non-CHR golds, like Duran Duran, No Doubt, and Ace of Base.

Spin totals for powers are still CHR/Hot AC ish, but they're definitely trying to morph into......something.

Well, the move to outright Top 40 has proven a disaster for Cumulus. WRQX is now #17, by far the lowest rated full power FM in Washington. Top 40 rival WIHT, owned by iHeart, is #5 and usually #1 in the key demos. Hot AC WIAD (the format that WRQX used to compete in) is #10. WIAD is owned by CBS.

If straight-ahead Top 40 isn't working, I guess it's time to try something. So without changing the format formally, I guess they figure, let's see what happens when we add some 90s hits in the "Mix."

Is Cumulus the worst large owner in radio?

I'm surprised no one is trying classic hits. Since WBIG-FM went to classic rock, you could drive a truck through that hole. If not with WRQX, I'd be doing it with 105.9 if I were Cumulus.

BTW - I'm pretty sure the honor of lowest rated full power FM in the market goes to WAVA-FM 105.1 rather than 107.3.

Classic Hits stations are doing great in NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, so why not Washington? Cumulus even owns a few, including WLS-FM Chicago. But GMs fear that the demos will be hard to sell, even though WCBS-FM, WOGL and WROR do well 25-54. On the other hand, if WRQX can't improve its numbers, Cumulus might just do it.

And yes, WAVA-FM is the lowest rated full-power FM station in DC. I guess I should have said FM music station, or something like that.

The guy who's now PD at WRQX was previously PD at WLS-FM, which is a classic hits station in Chicago.

Well, the move to outright Top 40 has proven a disaster for Cumulus.
Is Cumulus the worst large owner in radio?

With the type of $--- that has been done on WRQX over the past many months, of course it would be a disaster.
It took an incredible amount of time, but even Atlanta was able to find someone who could program a well done Top 40 there, and I believe that if the Atlanta market could do it, Washington, DC most DEFINITELY can as well. Hot 99.5 isn't bad, .. but I still cannot understand how a major and diverse market like DC couldn't do better when it comes to Top 40 radio. Everything on the dial here is so basic, super-typical and dry. If I never came here and judged DC based solely on hearing what's available on DC radio alone, I would've assume that DC was only older caucasions, african americans of all ages, and some hispanics. I would've never guessed that it was as diverse as it really is. Not even a specialty show or dj mix show to broadcast any special programming during the "throw away time slots" to cater to foreigners and other cultures and ethnicities living here (other than WHUR's caribbean music early Sunday mornings and the typical Evolution Electronic Music Mix Show that ALL iHeartMedia CHR's have to play anyway). Not even the college stations are doing anything eye (or ear) catching or unique. The only show that broke the norm and had anything unique, special and original (at least for DC) was the mix show that WRQX ran on Friday (DC's Freakin' Weekend Mix) and Saturday nights, and I loved that on-air lady who hyped it up. I wish her all the best and hope she lands somewhere worthy VERY fast.

Anyway, I'm glad that WRQX has a new PD, regardless of whether or not the station ever becomes something I would listen to again. Judging based on the posts I've seen on the DC Radio and Television forums, a lot of people here in DC are completely unaware of how detrimental it was to have Jeffries come in as an attempt to "save" any station, especially WRQX - and this is coming from someone who has never worked for him or any Cumulus station or any station in the east coast, but knew this BASED PURELY ON YEARS OF OBSERVATION of things he's done and how Cumulus operates.

Lastly, I must admit I've done a good job keeping my opinions and thoughts to myself since I've moved here, limiting my posts on RD and completely resisting the urge to post anywhere else, but I knew eventually I'd slip up and have to say something, and here I am! This market can use some major improvement - for the type of market it is. Yes, I know everyone in every market will say the same thing about their market (or radio in general), but this market / location is a special case that needs more creative minds and above-mediocre programming and talent, especially in the CHR arena.

Last edited:
I agree that a Classic Hits format, like WCBS FM,WOGL,KRTH,WJMK,WLS FM would be ideal. Look at the success of these stations. Hot AC,CHR,AC..the lines are blurred. If WRQX does go straight ahead Hot AC, I can't see any improvement. Too many tations doing the same basic format. If Jack Diamond returns, that may be the only saving grace. As mentioned, the Classic Hits format is the obvious choice. Cumulus has to be the worst company in radio.

Via All-Access...Jack Back? I called this! :)

YESTERDAY (NET NEWS 11/9), ALL ACCESS told you that CUMULUS MEDIA Adult Top 40 WRQX/WASHINGTON, D.C. named LOUIE DIAZ PD. DIAZ moves to WRQX from sister Top 40 KLIF/DALLAS. DIAZ replaces SVP/Corporate Programming and RQX PD JAN JEFFRIES, who exited last month (NET NEWS 10/20).
But more changes are in progress. A visit to the RQX website finds the "shows" page has been largely deleted as ALL ACCESS has confirmed that the morning team of SARAH FRASER, TY BENTLI, MELANIE GLAZENER, plus sidekicks FLOUNDER and SAMY K are all out.
Only night personality ASHLEY NICKLES the syndicated ZACH SANG & THE GANG show remain mentioned on the site. MD/middayer MELONY TORRES and afternooner MARCO are also M.I.A.
Tongues are wagging that the station's format will indeed head back to a Hot AC stance, with rumors swirling that former wakeup star JACK DIAMOND is returning.
More details, soon ... but from what ALL ACCESS hears it's a done deal for JACK to come back and the announcement is pending. And, could there be a continuing role for TY, doing Red Carpet events?
- See more at: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...g-to-wrqx-washington-d-c#sthash.CquLAdHF.dpuf

CUMULUS Adult Top 40 WRQX/WASHINGTON, D.C. is bringing back the MIX 107.3 brand and programming. The station, currently branded as “D.C.’s 107.3”, will re-launch as MIX 107.3 on FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 13th, by kicking off the holiday season with 100% CHRISTMAS music. Legendary morning radio personality JACK DIAMOND, returns to MIX 107.3’s new morning show, and former on-air partners JIMMY ALEXANDER and ERICA HILARY return. - See more at: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news#sthash.a5ezSaev.dpuf

I'm surprised no one is trying classic hits. Since WBIG-FM went to classic rock, you could drive a truck through that hole. If not with WRQX, I'd be doing it with 105.9 if I were Cumulus.

BTW - I'm pretty sure the honor of lowest rated full power FM in the market goes to WAVA-FM 105.1 rather than 107.3.

105-WAVA was a legendary Top 40 hit music format before the change to religious programming. They had Don and Mike morning show and an entertaining newsreader David Hains. With "fun all morning and music all day." Great station back in the day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom