• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Milo Hamilton, 88, ex-baseball broadcaster

Milo Hamilton passes away

Milo Hamilton, who was the radio play-by-play announcer for the Atlanta Braves from 1966-75 (having done Cubs and White Sox games in Chicago prior), died September 17 at age 88. He called Hank Aaron's record-setting 715th home run on April 8, 1974. (Word had it that Hamilton insisted on being the guy to call the home run so whenever Hank came up to bat with 715 on the line, Milo wanted to call it even if it was color guy Ernie Johnson's turn at play-by-play.)

His son Tom is the voice of the Cleveland Indians. I believe Tom lost his mother earlier this season, terrible year.

His son Tom is the voice of the Cleveland Indians. I believe Tom lost his mother earlier this season, terrible year.

Holy Toledo, it's an extremely sad day in Houston. Milo had been in poor health in recent years. No one will ever replace that voice. He knew how to command his audience; excitement when the moment called for it, but never over the top. He will be missed. The Astros will be placing a commemorative patch on their jerseys for the remainder of the year.

Btw, Mark Hamilton is Milo's surviving child. His wife passed 10 years ago, and his only daughter is also deceased.

Holy Toledo, it's an extremely sad day in Houston. Milo had been in poor health in recent years. No one will ever replace that voice. He knew how to command his audience; excitement when the moment called for it, but never over the top. He will be missed. The Astros will be placing a commemorative patch on their jerseys for the remainder of the year.

Btw, Mark Hamilton is Milo's surviving child. His wife passed 10 years ago, and his only daughter is also deceased.

So Tom is Milo's grandson? Sorry about the confusion.

So Tom is Milo's grandson? Sorry about the confusion.

I'm not familiar with Tom Hamilton at all, CTListener. Milo's wife was Arlene. She passed away in '05, directly followed by their only daughter Patricia Hamilton-Watson, the following year. The very next year ('07), Milo had the massive heart attack, which was ultimately what drew him out of the booth for good. His schedule dropped way back after his recovery, and from then on only called home games for the 'stros.

I had to look Tom Hamilton up, as I was not familiar with the name. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe he is any relation to Milo or Mark. At least I've never heard of any connection myself. Milo was still active down here, right up to the end. As a matter of fact, there are commercials still running down here for a local scrap metal dealer, in which Milo appears and (of course) utters his famous line.

I always found Milo Hamilton to be a very professional broadcaster. He had a VERY rough go of it here in Pittsburgh as
he was brought in to replace Bob Prince, who had been fired after the prior season.

Prince had been embraced by Pittsburghers as more than a broadcaster....he was sort of a local sports folk-hero in the mold of Myron Cope or Mike Lange. His firing by Westinghouse made local fans SO angry they continuously clamored to bring Prince back, and as a result Milo never really got a fair shake from fans here.

In his book Hamilton threw some blame at Prince for continuing the fan agitation and not just moving on with his career. He left after the 1979 World Series year. Westinghouse would later admit that firing Prince was the STUPIDEST thing they had ever done, and they did bring him back in 1985. By that point his health was failing and he died after just a handful of games back at the mic.

Which amazed me a few years later when the Detroit Tigers made EXACTLY THE SAME MISTAKE by firing Ernie Harwell.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom