• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rice's KBLT-LP 96.1 to launch on October 2

96.1 is a bad frequency for a LPFM on the far west and northwest side 96.1 College Station is a local and when dx is rolling a few times a week you will not get the Rice signal you get the signal from College station

Enhancement will always cause issues for LPFMs given the spacing and low power. Considering KAGG doesn't even put a listenable signal into the beltway, it should be fine most of the time. On paper, it looks more favorable than the spacing between KHGV-LP & KVST but only time will tell.

Enhancement will always cause issues for LPFMs given the spacing and low power. Considering KAGG doesn't even put a listenable signal into the beltway, it should be fine most of the time. On paper, it looks more favorable than the spacing between KHGV-LP & KVST but only time will tell.

KAGG isn't KBLT's (hold the mayo, please) biggest concern, Steven. Lake Charles' KYKZ would be the more likely culprit, then KXXM S.A. KAGG has been missing in action from my dial since the move. Goes to show what a difference 19 miles south will do for you.

Checking 96-1 @ 7p, no sign of Rice's lunch special. Only thing showing up here on the north side of the Loop is a weak KYKZ. Have they even begun the testing period as of yet?

On paper, it looks more favorable than the spacing between KHGV-LP & KVST but only time will tell.

KHGV and KVST fight it out in midtown Houston, and there is even a battle as far south as the NRG Stadium parking lot as well as the South Loop @ Gulf Freeway. Appears that you have to be within three or four miles of the KHGV transmitter to get a solid signal.

KAGG isn't KBLT's (hold the mayo, please)

I've been wondering if there is any significance or meaning to the KBLT call.

Checking 96-1 @ 7p, no sign of Rice's lunch special. Only thing showing up here on the north side of the Loop is a weak KYKZ. Have they even begun the testing period as of yet?

I"ve been checking 96.1 whenever I'm within a few miles of the Rice campus, but haven't heard anything out of KBLT yet. Perhaps someone could drive by Rice Stadium and see if there is any evidence of a FM antenna on one of the east stand's light poles.

Update: KBLT 96.1 was on the air with KTRU music programming Wednesday evening, and I listened to it on my commute from near downtown to my home in Cy-Fair.

Strong signal near downtown, and still good along the Katy Freeway inside the Loop, and the signal remained pretty good along 290 until Pinemont. Past that point reception became erratic, but along the Beltway north of 290 there were a couple of surprising hot spots. In my neighborhood the signal is barely there, fighting it out with other stations on the frequency.

It appears this was/is a test, as there were some short stretches of dead air; also you could hear them playing with audio levels and processing.

I didn't hear any ID for KBLT in the better part of the hour I listened, but the DJ did refer to KTRU. He also promoted the launch of the FM on October 2.

Nothing at an 8:45 check, Frog. 96-1 off the air. Not even a peep from KYKZ, which is rather unusual here.

The antenna is there. KTRU is in testing. The signal goes on and off at the whims of the technical folks. To the north side, it gets a little scratchy in my care when hitting Allen Parkway near I-10. A good antenna would solve that and it is better than what the FCC 60 dbu map shows. Almost listenable on the north side riding on I-45 until 610. Again, a good antenna would solve that depending on location.

Significance to the call sign? NONE. The station intends to continue to use the KTRU moniker and only use the call sign during the required legal ID. KTRU is known. It will not blow the name recognition. BTW, there is a sign on party next Thursday which is a free concert featuring Robert Elllis, Buxton and Deep Cuts.

I've been wondering if there is any significance or meaning to the KBLT call.

I"ve been checking 96.1 whenever I'm within a few miles of the Rice campus, but haven't heard anything out of KBLT yet. Perhaps someone could drive by Rice Stadium and see if there is any evidence of a FM antenna on one of the east stand's light poles.

KTRU is already available on smart phones via the KTRU app, i-Heart app, the tune-in app, and through many other devices. For instance I can listen via my TV via Tivo and the i-Heart app.

I am in Mo City near Hwy 90 and BW 8. Good signal silent carrier on 96.1. Indoors. On my phones Next Radio app...

KPFT should be able to find a client who will pay more than KTRU.

Folks at KPFT are worried they are about to lose significant revenue. Rumor is that once the LPFM is on KTRU is going to pull its programming off the KPFT's HD channel. KPFT finally got their new tubeless solid-state transmitter installed, but money is very tight. KTRU pays good money for the HD channel, and if they leave its gonna hurt!

Will, welcome and thanks for the responses. Question for you, given UH's desire to sell 91-7 and its associated translator, is there a scenario in which Rice were to make a play to re-acquire the 91-3 translator? With a few adjustments, and a bit of a power/height increase it could be a nice compliment to the Rice Lunch Special @ 96-1.

Question for you, given UH's desire to sell 91-7 and its associated translator, is there a scenario in which Rice were to make a play to re-acquire the 91-3 translator? With a few adjustments, and a bit of a power/height increase it could be a nice compliment to the Rice Lunch Special @ 96-1.

The 91.3 translator at the corner of Main and Holcombe is only about 4,000 feet from the 96.1 transmitter on one of the Rice Stadium light poles. The translator wouldn't add any coverage.

K217GB is authorized for 99 watts, but appears to be running only a fraction of that, as the signal is very poor outside the Medical Center area. Supposedly it is somewhat directional to the west, but I've never remembered to check the coverage along the SW Freeway or the southwest portion of Loop 610.

I don't think we've heard if K217GB is actually part of the KUHA sale. UofH could always keep it, as it is actually a translator for KUHF-HD2 (which simulcasts KUHA.) Would keep the Classical format on analog FM in upscale areas where it might still have an audience.

You are correct, but a move of the facility to a different area of town could do wonders to expand the lunch special. It might have to change frequencies (again), but as you stated, anything they could do to improve it would be a vast improvement over what the facility is doing now.

Just a thought. I'd be highly surprised if UH holds on to K217GB, while unloading KUHA. It just wouldn't be worth it for the university to create "Classical 91-3" on the translator as it is.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom