Rice's KBLT-LP 96.1 to launch on October 2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rice's KBLT-LP 96.1 to launch on October 2

Rice's KBLT-LP 96.1 to launch on October 2

Thanks to the McGuff blog for this info: http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2015/...1-kblt-fm.html

The KTRU format is better suited for a LPFM. If the students cross the line and do something stupid, there is much less fallout.

Wonder if Rice's use of KPFT HD2 will continue?

96.1 is a bad frequency for a LPFM on the far west and northwest side 96.1 College Station is a local and when dx is rolling a few times a week you will not get the Rice signal you get the signal from College station
    Phat Beats Radio playing the best Rap Hiphop R&B Soul Funk from the 1970s to early 2000s http://phatbeatsradio.tumblr.com

Enhancement will always cause issues for LPFMs given the spacing and low power. Considering KAGG doesn't even put a listenable signal into the beltway, it should be fine most of the time. On paper, it looks more favorable than the spacing between KHGV-LP & KVST but only time will tell.

purpledevil
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenNOLA View Post
    Enhancement will always cause issues for LPFMs given the spacing and low power. Considering KAGG doesn't even put a listenable signal into the beltway, it should be fine most of the time. On paper, it looks more favorable than the spacing between KHGV-LP & KVST but only time will tell.
    KAGG isn't KBLT's (hold the mayo, please) biggest concern, Steven. Lake Charles' KYKZ would be the more likely culprit, then KXXM S.A. KAGG has been missing in action from my dial since the move. Goes to show what a difference 19 miles south will do for you.

Checking 96-1 @ 7p, no sign of Rice's lunch special. Only thing showing up here on the north side of the Loop is a weak KYKZ. Have they even begun the testing period as of yet?

Quote Originally Posted by stevenNOLA View Post
    On paper, it looks more favorable than the spacing between KHGV-LP & KVST but only time will tell.
    KHGV and KVST fight it out in midtown Houston, and there is even a battle as far south as the NRG Stadium parking lot as well as the South Loop @ Gulf Freeway. Appears that you have to be within three or four miles of the KHGV transmitter to get a solid signal.

Quote Originally Posted by purpledevil View Post
    KAGG isn't KBLT's (hold the mayo, please)
    I've been wondering if there is any significance or meaning to the KBLT call.

Checking 96-1 @ 7p, no sign of Rice's lunch special. Only thing showing up here on the north side of the Loop is a weak KYKZ. Have they even begun the testing period as of yet?
    I"ve been checking 96.1 whenever I'm within a few miles of the Rice campus, but haven't heard anything out of KBLT yet. Perhaps someone could drive by Rice Stadium and see if there is any evidence of a FM antenna on one of the east stand's light poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mediafrog+ View Post
    I've been wondering if there is any significance or meaning to the KBLT call.
    For grins I googled KBLT yesterday wondering the same thing.

KBLT was the "call sign" of a legendary pirate radio station in Los Angeles in the 1990's. The bio of the station founder is called "40 Watts From Nowhere" and sounds like an excellent read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/29/bo...ueen.html?_r=0

It all makes sense to me now.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

I'm in downtown and receiving what seems to be dead air on 96.1. Anyone else? Could KBLT be turned on/testing?

Anonymouse
    If only Next Radio was on the iPhone...

Update: KBLT 96.1 was on the air with KTRU music programming Wednesday evening, and I listened to it on my commute from near downtown to my home in Cy-Fair.

Strong signal near downtown, and still good along the Katy Freeway inside the Loop, and the signal remained pretty good along 290 until Pinemont. Past that point reception became erratic, but along the Beltway north of 290 there were a couple of surprising hot spots. In my neighborhood the signal is barely there, fighting it out with other stations on the frequency.

It appears this was/is a test, as there were some short stretches of dead air; also you could hear them playing with audio levels and processing.

I didn't hear any ID for KBLT in the better part of the hour I listened, but the DJ did refer to KTRU. He also promoted the launch of the FM on October 2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast