• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Too many Classic Country shows.

34james

Frequent Participant
First you have Rick Jacksons Country Classics, then you have the Orginial Country Gold with Randy Yates, then Country Gold with Randy Owen from the group Alabama, now the newest Classic Country Show, and it has the best sound of them all
Honky Tonkin.

How well do these shows do?

Is there much of a demand out there for Classic Country Shows?

1 thing to note with Country Gold they have added songs from 2000's, so apparently the show needed a make over.

Well, James, knowing that you come from Los Angeles, where Country is not a huge enough ratings draw to warrant more than one radio station in the format, I'll ask you to look at other parts of the U.S. ... especially the South and the southernmost states in the Midwest. In that region, you will find at least two Country radio stations per market (maybe even one AM doing a classic Country format, automated and surviving with local spot sales in combination with their inevitably-Country FM sister station ... maybe even carrying NASCAR races and baseball) and those will be fairly high -- if not #1 -- in their markets.

Now transfer that audience over to television and you can see that the same people are watching Messrs. Jackson, Yates and Owen and the local commercial avails are all nicely covered.

Hope that answers your question.

K.M: These are all radio shows, no television.

But yes, I do think there's one or two too many classic country shows on the syndication market.
Country Gold with Randy Owen will stick around, whether or not Randy keeps hosting.
My guess is that Rowdy Yates will be shut down - I can't find more than 10 affiliates for the show despite 18 months of production.
Rick Jackson's show has quite a few affilates, but almost no major markets.

Yates restarted his show under protest because Westwood one altered the show and added songs from the 2000 decade.

Yates restarted his show because Westwood One fired him in favor of Randy Owen.

K.M: These are all radio shows, no television.

Oh. Well then, it should be easier for anyone to see that in some parts of the U.S. there are plenty of stations for these shows. Again, just because one lives in an area where Country isn't a big format doesn't mean there are "too many" shows for the parts of the nation where it is.

But yes, I do think there's one or two too many classic country shows on the syndication market.

If there were, don't you think whoever syndicates these "too many" shows would have dropped the excess by now?

Country Gold with Randy Owen will stick around, whether or not Randy keeps hosting.
My guess is that Rowdy Yates will be shut down - I can't find more than 10 affiliates for the show despite 18 months of production.
Rick Jackson's show has quite a few affilates, but almost no major markets.

If your definition of "major markets" includes those in areas where Country isn't a major format, then I wouldn't be surprised at that. But if these are bartered like most syndicated shows (where there are national spots included in the programs that the station is required to clear) the advertisers very likely know where they will and won't run ... and accept that where they are airing the audience is the right demographic for their product.

I remember in the 1990s when Casey Kasem, Shadoe Stevens, and Rick Dees all had weekly countdown shows. There was also a point in the 1980s where Casey and Rick also had Dick Clark as a competitor in that field. Before Dees and Clark, Mark Elliott hosted a similar countdown. No one back then thought three countdown shows available in syndication was "too many" and I doubt any of the managers and program directors at today's Country-formatted stations think there are too many classic country shows available today.

If your definition of "major markets" includes those in areas where Country isn't a major format, then I wouldn't be surprised at that. But if these are bartered like most syndicated shows (where there are national spots included in the programs that the station is required to clear) the advertisers very likely know where they will and won't run ... and accept that where they are airing the audience is the right demographic for their product.

Nope, not talking about Los Angeles or Boston. Rick Jackson's Country Classics has no affiliates in Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville TN, Birmingham, Mobile, Montgomery AL, Des Moines, or Indianapolis.
He does have full-market affiliates in in San Diego and Denver, and a daytimer AM with modest coverage of Cincinnati.

As far as letting the market decide how many is too many, I have no problem with that. All of of the shows listed by 34james is less than 3 years old (with its current host), so it is possible that they continue to run, on the hopes of syndicators.

ALL music formats must evolve. To remain the same while the audience grows older is suicidal. That means that every year, some older songs disappear, being replaced by music that is one year newer.

ALL music formats must evolve. To remain the same while the audience grows older is suicidal. That means that every year, some older songs disappear, being replaced by music that is one year newer.

While that is certainly true for virtually all formats, I'm trying to figure out where in context it belongs in this thread. Please share with us your thought process so we can properly reply.

My station, WRSG, would very much appreciate airing at least one classic country show. If any of these hosts peruse these boards, please PM me if you are interested in having more exposure in West Virginia and southeastern Ohio.

Here you go Greg Goodfellow,
Im not with the show but Randy Yates is extremely popular with this show.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom