• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is the difference between 1010 WINS and WCBS 880?

Ya know, a wiseass answer like that really detracts from the actual discussion of the differences in programming philosophies, formatics, etc. which was intended when the OP asked the question.
If that comment is the extent of your knowledge about the two stations, maybe you need to be in a different thread.
Hmmph!

Last edited:
Ya know, a wiseass answer like that really detracts from the actual discussion of the differences in programming philosophies, formatics, etc. which was intended when the OP asked the question. If that comment is the extent of your knowledge about the two stations, maybe you need to be in a different thread.

Well, it made me chuckle ... rather witty, taking into context frequency and call letters. Especially after a number of well-stated appraisals of the difference between the two stations, it was a nice respite. There have been far worse posts on this board.

And meanwhile, the thread is completely derailed. Could delete everything after post #13 and it wouldn't matter.

I love both WCBS and WINS. Just one difference, WINS only covers NYC, while WCBS covers NY, NJ and CT. Also, who can tell me the anchor schedule in these two radio stations?

Both websites list the anchors. On WCBS Wayne Cabot and Paul Germaine in mornings, Pat Farnack 10-Noon and 1 to 3, Steve Scott PM Drive. WINS has two anchors per drive shift alternating half hours. Lee Harris and Bridgett Quinn do AM Drive. Both stations are excellent, probably the best all news stations anywhere. WINS is all news 24/7. WCBS veers from the format with audio of Face the Nation,60Minutes and The CBS Evening News, plus they carry overflow play by play from WFAN and ,lately have been airing two dreaded infomercials Saturday 7 to 8PM and Sunday10 to Noon..three hours to avoid. Unfortunately, this is only the beginning of this ugly trend that is the bastion of talk radio on the weekends,

Well both WCBS-AM and WINS 1010 have been competing against each other for 5 decades for All News in the New York Area. KFWB did try to compete against KNX in the Los Angeles market for all news radio but CBS sold KFWB as part of a sale to get KCAL9 in Los Angeles years ago.

I'm not sure who KFWB targeted when they were all-news for Los Angeles but I understood KNX better they focus on the entire Los Angeles radio market simply because I know that station better and they were set up like KCBS-AM and WCBS-AM.

In the San Francisco area we had KCBS 106.9FM and AM740. at one point KLIV had all news to go after San Jose audiences for 2 decades but that got killed off simply because KCBS had the ratings for local all-news for nearly 5 decades in northern California.

CBS sold KFWB as part of a sale to get KCAL9 in Los Angeles years ago.

Actually CBS placed KFWB in a trust in 2011 when it bought KCAL. It tried to sell it for years, and ultimately was successful about a year ago. They station was recently resold.

At the time it went into a trust, KFWB was already suffering from declining ratings, perhaps caused by a weak signal, or lack of interest in the LA market. Even KNX is struggling these days. That is not the case in the NYC market, where both WINS and WCBS seem to have dedicated listeners.

I'm not sure who KFWB targeted when they were all-news for Los Angeles but I understood KNX better they focus on the entire Los Angeles radio market simply because I know that station better and they were set up like KCBS-AM and WCBS-AM.

When they both existed, I found KFWB to be slightly less stodgy, and the demos showed it to swing a bit younger. KNX ran traditional network news on the top of every hour and even ran old-time radio shows on the weekend. And then there were George's editorials...

KFWB seemed to get on the breaking news better and faster. The writing was more contemporary, too.

However, there were not enough shares for both. KFWB's smaller signal was a major disadvantage. Eventually, when they were both owned by the same company they tried to make them different but there is no "urban" vs "suburban" audience group in LA such as allows WINS to focus on the City and WCBS to be everything beyond the Boroughs.

IIRC, KFWB was the first all news station beginning in March 9 of 1968 with KNX going to mostly but not all news a month or two later.

KFWB: http://www.americanradiohistory.com...1968-03-11-BC-OCR-Page-0066.pdf#search="kfwb"

KNX goes to 16 hours of news a day: http://www.americanradiohistory.com.../1968-03-23-BC-OCR-Page-0074.pdf#search="knx"

Last edited:
WCBS also had the New York Yankees for over a decade before they moved over to 660/101.9 WFAN about 3-4 seasons ago. They also carry some overflow hockey and basketball games from WFAN.

In the San Francisco area we had KCBS 106.9FM and AM740. at one point KLIV had all news to go after San Jose audiences for 2 decades but that got killed off simply because KCBS had the ratings for local all-news for nearly 5 decades in northern California.

Note KLIV and KCBS never competed against each other directly for Bay Area ratings but KLIV was only San Jose focused when they were all news and KCBS served the entire San Francisco Radio Market during the 25 years that Northern California had two All News stations.

Note KLIV and KCBS never competed against each other directly for Bay Area ratings but KLIV was only San Jose focused when they were all news and KCBS served the entire San Francisco Radio Market during the 25 years that Northern California had two All News stations.

However, since San Jose is part of the San Francisco MSA, KLIV did compete with KCBS in the South Bay area.

Actually CBS placed KFWB in a trust in 2011 when it bought KCAL. It tried to sell it for years, and ultimately was successful about a year ago. They station was recently resold.

At the time it went into a trust, KFWB was already suffering from declining ratings, perhaps caused by a weak signal, or lack of interest in the LA market. Even KNX is struggling these days. That is not the case in the NYC market, where both WINS and WCBS seem to have dedicated listeners.

I remember at that point CBS was over the limit in the Los Angeles area though when they got KCAL9.

I remember at that point CBS was over the limit in the Los Angeles area though when they got KCAL9.

Exactly but the FCC allows you to place the station in a trust until a qualified buyer comes along. iHeart still has quite a few stations in their Aloha Trust from 15 years ago.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom