• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio format holes you would like to see filled

If you had the ways and means to start or take over your own radio station, what would you broadcast? I know we had for a time a classic country format on 92.1 out of Fort Worth but I'd like to see another try at it. I know it probably wont bill great but that is the only thing I can come up with.

Anyone else?

Matt

Well, personally I would choose a dance format from the '90s and 2000s. Similar to Utopia on SiriusXM spinning Cascada, Daft Punk, Deborah Cox, Fatboy Slim, Janet Jackson, Kylie Minogue, Lady Gaga, Madonna and Robyn.

Also, a good Alternative station that plays MUSE, The Black Keys, Death Cab For Cutie, Vampire Weekend, Cage The Elephant, Walk The Moon and older stuff mixed in like Echo and the Bunnymen, The Cult, Depeche Mode, The Alarm, They Might be Giants and Book of Love

And without hesitation I would bring back the Smooth Jazz format with Dave Koz, Brian Culbertson, Boney James, Maysa, David Benoit, George Benson, Al Jarreau, Peter White, Sade and Acoustic Alchemy. I would also bring back Lynn Briggs and we have to have Tempe back to do traffic!

It's a crying shame Market #5 does not have a full-power FM classic country stick. Cumeless should off one of their current country sticks and replace it with the NASH Icon format or a classic country format similar to KKUS/Tyler before they decided 90s-00s country is now classic.

Well, personally I would choose a dance format from the '90s and 2000s. Similar to Utopia on SiriusXM spinning Cascada, Daft Punk, Deborah Cox, Fatboy Slim, Janet Jackson, Kylie Minogue, Lady Gaga, Madonna and Robyn.

Still remembering the awesome playlist that was once 106.7 KKDL. Nice blend of what was current dance and classic dance. Too bad this type of format isn't around much but would love to see it back here and it would be a miracle.

Also, a good Alternative station that plays MUSE, The Black Keys, Death Cab For Cutie, Vampire Weekend, Cage The Elephant, Walk The Moon and older stuff mixed in like Echo and the Bunnymen, The Cult, Depeche Mode, The Alarm, They Might be Giants and Book of Love

Definitely, if anyone thinks Edge is alternative, then Kiss FM is a country station. We need a true alternative station that plays the indie bands and classic alternative, not Lorde and your typical Red Hot Chili Peppers playlist. The closest we have that is true alternative is KKXT. Even 103.3 the App in San Antonio sounds better to listen to from my phone than the Edge.

And without hesitation I would bring back the Smooth Jazz format with Dave Koz, Brian Culbertson, Boney James, Maysa, David Benoit, George Benson, Al Jarreau, Peter White, Sade and Acoustic Alchemy. I would also bring back Lynn Briggs and we have to have Tempe back to do traffic!

That would be the ultimate move in DFW, aside from a full-powered classic country station. Seeing smooth jazz (not Smooth AC) come back would make us jazz fans really thrilled.

Still remembering the awesome playlist that was once 106.7 KKDL. Nice blend of what was current dance and classic dance. Too bad this type of format isn't around much but would love to see it back here and it would be a miracle.

Definitely, if anyone thinks Edge is alternative, then Kiss FM is a country station. We need a true alternative station that plays the indie bands and classic alternative, not Lorde and your typical Red Hot Chili Peppers playlist. The closest we have that is true alternative is KKXT. Even 103.3 the App in San Antonio sounds better to listen to from my phone than the Edge.

That would be the ultimate move in DFW, aside from a full-powered classic country station. Seeing smooth jazz (not Smooth AC) come back would make us jazz fans really thrilled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DApUl4sw7eE&list=PL-id9x8FRnDpBkShpXRVN4ZEAox9EVVSp

I THINK 99.5 is headed the classics route, or at least adding them into rotation.

1190 was pretty great when they did it, 92.1 The Possum is awful.

Closest thing we have is 1400 KGVL out of Greenville (which sucks) and 1420 KFYN out of Bonham, which is just about unlistenable west of 75.

I THINK 99.5 is headed the classics route, or at least adding them into rotation.

Would love it if they did go full-time classic country. As to them adding them into rotation, I am hearing more 90s classics I've not heard in awhile popping up in regular format and the NASH Icon Weekends have been a nice touch.

My personal opinion: there is enough difference between KPLX and KSCS that whichever stick did not go classic country would definitely have to modify to absorb listeners displaced from the stick that did. By that, I mean if 99-5 went classic, 96-3 would have to turn the "hot" down. Conversely, 99-5 would have to "warm it up" if 96-3 went classic. Question remains as to which stick would be the more optimal to blow up and go classic given their respective coverage areas, ratings, billing, etc.

It would be wonderful if we could get REAL classic country on FM, but even AM would be acceptable. With all of the spots on the AM dial that need real help, a REAL Classic Country station would have to be successful. You have to understand your audience, know your listeners, understand the market, play to the listeners and advertise to the correct segment of the listeners. It can be done! D/FW needs classic country. Banging heads with KPLX or KSCS is useless! Go for Classic Country! The population is there! The numbers are there! KTFW isn't doing the job - no one is - it's a market just sitting there waiting for help!

However, the money is not. Numbers don't matter if they're all over 55.

I've always said that Classic Country won't work outside of the South because traditionally, people tend to discover Country at about age 35 but this IS the South and you should be able to go back far enough for it to work.

I miss The Oasis on 106.1

I would like a super soft adult AC. Not just (yuk) recycled Neal Diamond, but with some adventure (think Krall, Buble', Tyrell etc).

And this next idea will get me flamed to no end, I don't care. The perfect candidate for classic country is 88.5 KEOM. Brand it as "88.5 the Skeet." No they can't sell "spots" but if someone from the Mesquite ISD got on the ball they could clean up on 'underwriting.' Expand the focus beyond the boundries of the ISD since KEOM's signal does NOT end at the Mesquite city limits. There's a PPM encoder at their transmitter site btw.

Of course the entire problem with that scenario is that the powers that be in the ISD have no grasp of what KEOM could and should be. But wouldn't it be fun if KEOM got serious?

I've always said that Classic Country won't work outside of the South because traditionally, people tend to discover Country at about age 35 but this IS the South and you should be able to go back far enough for it to work.

I could swear I already posted on this: That's why I used the word, "traditionally". I was talking about Classic Country although you still probably don't want to go back further than about 1990, in order to catch the "sweet spot".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom