• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Classic Hits most popular format of Summer 2015 ... more 80s titles in the mix

Nope. Just commenting. I do believe the format has a second life on AM stations no one is listening to anyway.
Not sure how that's life.

For some reason, that makes me think of one of the late Yogi Berra's malaprops: "No one goes there to eat anymore because it's so crowded."

Or perhaps the "tree falling in the forest" analogy applies. If an Oldies format is on a station no one listens to, is it really on the air?

Because Adult Standards never really left AM for FM. There were very few markets that had Adult Standards on FM. Oldies was on FM for decades. Boomers got used to the audio fidelity. Good luck getting them back to AM. I'm still (barely) under 60 and unless there was an exceptional radio station or talent I really wanted to hear that was only on AM, I've been locked on FM since 1969.

Actually, there were people who moved to Adult Standards by default after Beautiful Music died and the latter was mostly on FM at that point. Maybe the answer to my question is that Classic Hits is an acceptable default format for former Oldies listeners. It will be interesting to see where they go when all the 60s and early 70s are gone.

Actually, there were people who moved to Adult Standards by default after Beautiful Music died and the latter was mostly on FM at that point. Maybe the answer to my question is that Classic Hits is an acceptable default format for former Oldies listeners. It will be interesting to see where they go when all the 60s and early 70s are gone.

Online, or to AMs hanging on with oldies. And, of course, a certain number of them will die every day, a reality that younger-skewing stations with audiences more willing to buy into an advertiser's hyperbole don't face to nearly the same degree,

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom