• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

From The Department of Here We Go Again

1090 KULF is on the air 24/7 with a daytime only license. I've heard them for the past week. I waited to see how long this would go on without somebody at that station correcting this problem. Surely these people know that their broadcasts are illegal. Note to Don! Shut it off when the sun goes down.

1090 KULF is on the air 24/7 with a daytime only license. I've heard them for the past week. I waited to see how long this would go on without somebody at that station correcting this problem. Surely these people know that their broadcasts are illegal. Note to Don! Shut it off when the sun goes down.

I didn't know you were still paying the water cooler a visit these days, Chuck. I have but one thing to say about this operation...KTON Belton.

Doesn't bode well for my little Bellville daytimer, does it? J. Lee Dittert would be fit to be tied, if only he had lived to see what became of KACO.

I drop by every now and then to see whats happening. The last time I posted was in January. Actually, there is really no reason why 1090 couldn't be a 24 hour station. There's not much to protect southwest of here. I tried to get Salem to buy it a few years ago and simulcast KNTH on it. That would solve the deficiency of 1070 to the southwest. However, that's not going to happen. Who wants to buy an AM? Times are changing along with listening habits.

I drop by every now and then to see whats happening. The last time I posted was in January. Actually, there is really no reason why 1090 couldn't be a 24 hour station. There's not much to protect southwest of here. I tried to get Salem to buy it a few years ago and simulcast KNTH on it. That would solve the deficiency of 1070 to the southwest. However, that's not going to happen. Who wants to buy an AM? Times are changing along with listening habits.

If it still serviced Austin County as it was originally intended to, I'd be all for 1090's 24 hour operation. Given its current line-up of programming, it's tough enough to hear what's coming out of Bellville these days during its normal operating hours. Heaven forbid, they are granted round the clock operation. I've had my eye on this one (being the hometown station and all) ever since JLF picked it up for less than a new car. $10,000! Hell, for that price I'll go make a withdrawal from the bank and buy it myself. I have YET to figure out how KULF fell from a half million valuation all the way down to 10 grand so quickly...

There are others doing the same thing, KULF isn't the only one.

Last edited:
That may be so, but that is no excuse. We cannot adopt the attitude that because others are doing it, it's okay. It's not! KULF is a 2nd adjacency to my station and causes problems at night on the west end of Houston. Therefore I have the right to be concerned. I am in the process of doing something about it.

And I wish you the best of luck. I was just pointing out that there are others breaking the rules in TX, and of course it isn't okay to do stuff like that. They could lose their license.

Thank you. It is now in the hands of our legal department, who is in contact with the FCC. Action will follow.

As of this morning, daytime ONLY operations has resumed. It was off; somebody got a strong message.

Looks like the station moved their studios to a new location.

Obviously, because as everyone should certainly realize, Bellville is the absolute mecca of prime commercial office space availability in southeast Texas.

Oh wait...

Edit to add: w/o laying out the address and postal code for it, Joe, what part of Houston is that "studio" building? I know Bellville backwards and forwards, having been basically brought up out there, and your visit certainly didn't entail Hwy. 36...

Last edited:
Looks like the station moved their studios to a new location.

Would I be exaggerating if I observed that Joe tends to "awfulize" things?

Would I be exaggerating if I observed that Joe tends to "awfulize" things?

In this instance, David, yes. I legitimately fear for Bellville's only hometown station since 1974. Roy Henderson was a bad steward of the facility, but he wasn't operating it out of its licensed hours. Sorry to take a shot at the man now that's he's in his twilight years, but during the largest part of his ownership of 1090, it didn't operate at all. That's just the truth, with no malicious intent on my part. Once JLF Communications got the facility, for a mere $10,000 mind you, my stomach absolutely turned. A longtime participant here at one time, expressed very deep concerns to me regarding this facility, and the possibility of this group acquiring it, knowing my story and deep rooted association with the little town the station is licensed to service. My grandparents once owned the house I now do since the late 50s. Granddaddy was friends with Lee Dittert. I was 8 years old when KACO signed on the air. It has, for most of my life, been a part of my life...long before the upgrade that got it to reach parts of Houston. I wasn't kidding in the least bit about purchasing the license myself, had the station literally been sold for $10k. The old girl means a little more to me than most people. Hell, likely any other person. I've got a little cash, since selling the house. Let 1090 hit the market again for that price, and I'll buy it myself and hand the keys to Chris Boone. That's no joke. I have no knowledge on how to run a radio station from the business standpoint or the technical side. My forte is retail business. Ah...but he does, and after all these years of talking with the man on here, I KNOW that he's not only exceptionally capable, he's also not full of himself or of bull.

1090 even cost me a friendship with a good man who simply took the wrong decision path, in my opinion, by attempting to basically hijack the (then) KNUZ license from Henderson, when Roy gave him a $250k price tag to acquire it outright. An outrageous price back then for sure, but his response was completely wrong...and to this day I can't imagine what went through his head to try getting all of those bogus PTDs filed against 1090. Oh well, it's all water under the bridge at this point.

Anyway, I've went off into a tangent. KACO, or whatever call it may have in its lifetime, has a special place in my heart which fuels my passion for the old girl, pretty simply. I wish it had been in the cards for Salem to have acquired it as they attempted, and Chuck Tiller would be operating it as we speak, but that's not how things worked out. Instead, I now fear for KULF, because of what happened to KTON - Belton.

Check that, DKTON Belton. It's certainly not a good first impression that I received from JLF Communications.

Last edited:
Devil, you got a deal!!! Would love to add another station to the stable.....(an AM in BMT is available for LMA or sale..havent found out which yet....and NO its not mine :) )(

Devil, you got a deal!!! Would love to add another station to the stable.....(an AM in BMT is available for LMA or sale..havent found out which yet....and NO its not mine :) )(

I assume KOLE, although one of the Cumulus stations could be, given their penny stock value these days.

Mouse: BMT is Beaumont. BPA would be Beaumont-Port Arthur, the two largest communities over there in Jefferson County...

...or they were. Both cities have really been decimated over the past couple of decades.

C-Dub: It'd be an absolute pleasure and would certainly be an honor, brother. It'd be goodbye KULF, and welcome back "KACO, AM 1090, Bellville-Sealy, Austin County's home for classic hits, Musicradio 1090 KACO". It has to be KULF though. That's the only facility I'd ever risk that kind of money on, given my lack of knowledge on what all it'd take to make it turn a profit again. It'd be an uphill battle for sure. 1090 has no recognition up there anymore, and Bellville itself only has so much potential for paying advertisers. I'd have to target the ever expanding Katy-west Houston market, and to some extent, Brenham-Chappell Hill. Plus, we'd have to move the tower back to Bellville, I'd assume, because I only own the one plot of land up there...but it's 19 acres, so I think we'd be okay there..ha!

I've got to stop...I'm getting goose bumps from thinking about it, and hell I know it's a pipe dream and wishful thinking at best. I'd never be able to afford a real asking price for 1090, without putting myself squarely in the poor house, and living off a steady diet of Van Camp's pork n' beans and government cheese...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom