• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 700

cyberdad

Staff member
What are you guys hearing on 700?

Here northwest of Chicago daytime, "The Big One" is "the weak one". WLW is present most of the time on a good radio situated in a noise-free area, but is barely audible.

At night, WLW booms in all alone. Typically a good signal with minimal fading. I can't recall ever hearing another station on the channel.

In East Tennessee, the last breath of WLW during the day, and WLW dominates at night. During the big couple of weeks long aurora this past winter, WLW would be gone with KHSE, Wylie, TX in it's place. When I lived in Ohio, WLW was blasting day and night but I did catch the Dothan AL station during a WLW scheduled maintenance period.

What are you guys hearing on 700?

Here northwest of Chicago daytime, "The Big One" is "the weak one". WLW is present most of the time on a good radio situated in a noise-free area, but is barely audible.

At night, WLW booms in all alone. Typically a good signal with minimal fading. I can't recall ever hearing another station on the channel.

In the near north Chicago suburbs its WLW weak by day and strong at night. About 5 years ago when I was in Puerto Rico, WLW was the strongest stateside station I received from any state other than Florida.

That's an easy one here in Pickerington, Ohio ... all WLW, all the time from about 95 miles southwest. Solid signal 24/7, with the exception of a little bit of fading during the summer months. At night, in the southern and southwest portions of the Columbus area most affected by directional patterns, I have no doubt WLW would be the strongest nighttime AM.
As close as 20 miles east of here, the cancellation increases substantially.
I can count on one finger the times I've ever heard anything else on 700 here. It was one night in September several years back that a station I couldn't identify was giving WLW massive co-channel fits. It lasted maybe an hour, then stopped.
When I lived in League City, Texas, local KSEV and WLW would fight it out every night. Oddly, I usually heard WLW better during the summer months than during the winter.

Last edited:
Here WLW is pretty much the only signal I've ever heard. I may have heard KSEV once in critical hours. WLW doesn't come in well critical hours here because of WOKV splattering from 690.

WLW comes in daytime almost anywhere within 250 miles or so of Cincinnati. I've personally heard WLW in OH (of course), KY, IL, WV, VA, and TN daytime. If it wasn't for WOKV, it'd probably come in weakly daytime here during the winter.

At night the signal varies. Sometimes it struggles to come in, other times it blasts through.

Daytime - nothing

Nighttime - WLW The signal varies but it's always listenable.

A couple times, I heard something behind it but I have no clue as to what station it was.

I remember WLW used to be a nighttime regular in northern California in the 70's.

During the day, KSEV can be heard steadily here with a weak-to-moderate signal. As sunset approaches, it gets stronger.

At night, WLW and XEDKR "Radio Red" in Guadalajara start showing up in the partial null of KSEV, and either one of them (more often XEDKR) can sometimes take over for a while, even when KSEV is not nulled. Also, XEGD "La Poderosa" in Hidalgo del Parral occasionally bubbles up behind KSEV but hardly ever rises out of the background.

By sunrise WLW is gone, and XEDKR hangs around weakly for a while until it's back to just KSEV.

WLW reception in various places I've lived and visited: I once had the last breath of WLW in midday during the summer just west of Madison, WI. Still listenable daytime in the Lake Erie area (Vermilion, where our sometimes host lives). When I lived in Quincy, IL they were a blaster at night. Lafayette, there was a lot of phase cancellation and noise at night. I took a trip to Alabama and had solid reception in Montgomery just after sunset.

Here in W. Washington I mainly hear KIRO 710 splash on 700, day or night.

At night, on rare occasions I'll hear KXLX 700 Spokane with ESPN, and one evening east of the Cascade mountains I heard the ESPN station in Salt Lake City also. If I null out the KIRO splash I can hear the religious station in Roseburg, Oregon (can't remember the call letters) and the new station in Calgary, CJLI, sometimes shows up now and then.

On 700, I often pick up that phenomenon where a local station on a very different frequency is audible (an echo of sorts) -- I can't remember what to call that. In this case, local KGYM on 1600 often shows up. At night, WLW is just about always there, sometimes mixed in with the local signal, sometimes not. With that exception, I don't think I've ever heard any station other than WLW on 700 at night, ever.

Nothing in the day here, in NE PA.

At SSS, I got two stations. One was WWTL from MD (taped from June 1996).

On what had to be some sort of weird skip, the great-calls WTUB from Massachusetts came in. But I missed taping them. That was off the GE Superadio II while I was painting a basement.

WLW is the nighttime occupant.

Day time-Spanish station from DC or Northern,Virginia. Night time it's WLW gangbusters !.

That would be WDMV which is actually in Maryland (licensed to Walkersville, a town near Frederick). Birach owns it, and is leased to a group broadcasting regional Mexican music as "La Jefa" to the DC area. I know all this since the towers are maybe a mile from my house!

At night, when WDMV usually signs off, it is of course WLW.

Houston, of course, KSEV 24/7. Prior to KSEV, WLW was a nighttime powerhouse, still can be heard faintly in a KSEV null. Prior to KSEV, it was a fairly regular wintertime regular during the day.

Retro - I have reports in letters from my grandfather of WLW daytime in Lubbock, TX, during its 500 kW days. That was on a five stage completely TRF radio with a 24 by 18 inch loop inside the cabinet. Still a DX monster when I powered it up in the 60's.

In the southeast suburbs of Houston, a 90-degree turn of the radio at night means the difference between KSEV and WLW. I never understood why when I lived there WLW seemed to come in considerably better during the summer than the winter, the inverse of DX here in the Midwest, but it did.
Never got to be directly behind KSEV's pattern at night to hear exactly how effective its nighttime nulls toward Cincinnati are. Assuming the null is pretty deep.

Daytime in central Connecticut: A weak WFAT Athol, MA, with its oddball automated format of deep '50 and '60s oldies and classic country. Nighttime: WLW Cincinnati, usually quite strong.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom