• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Houston-Galveston Radio Ratings: August 2015

pjc1961

Star Participant
The August 2015 survey period covers Thu. 7/16/2015 - Wed. 8/12/2015.
Publicly released data for subscribing stations age 6+ overall at the link below:

Houston-Galveston: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb033

Next report will be for the September 2015 survey period covering Thu. 8/13/2015 - 9/9/2015.
The data release date will be Tue. 9/29/2015 (delayed by one day due to Yom Kippur on 9/22-23/2015).

AllAccess.com August 2015 PPM Analysis by Research Director Inc.
including top 5 overall, top 5 in 25-54, top 5 in 18-34 and top 5 in 18-49
will be available on their website on Tue. 9/1/2015.

Last edited:
Wrong title or not, I don't think many take the time to say so pjc1961, thanks for your diligence in posting these.

Edit to add: Anyone notice KUHA is listed as sports? What's that all about...a sign of things to come?

Last edited:
I also wonder if the ratings number for KUHA is also wrong; a drop from 1.1 to 0.4 is pretty severe, and this was before the sale was announced.

The format listing at radio-online is obviously incorrect, but the number is not. KUHA did fall 1.1 to 0.4 for the month, but remember they were in the midst of a great deal of transmitter issues, including several periods of being at reduced power and several days completely off the air. (The off-air period last week fell during the September survey period.)

Edit to add: Anyone notice KUHA is listed as sports? What's that all about...a sign of things to come?

There are many errors in the format listings across the different sites that publish ratings data. Apparently Arbitron does not provide the registered format descriptor from its own SIP (Station Information Packet) so each site adds the format to the data it publishes. They often either fail to update or just get it wrong.

There are many errors in the format listings across the different sites that publish ratings data. Apparently Arbitron does not provide the registered format descriptor from its own SIP (Station Information Packet) so each site adds the format to the data it publishes. They often either fail to update or just get it wrong.

I see. What made it rather peculiar to me is that KUHA has been reported correctly as a Classical outfit up to this survey. A sale of the facility suddenly comes to light, and now a format misrepresentation of KUHA on the 6+.

It was enough to make one wonder...

For what it is worth I looked at the Austin 6+ ratings and saw they have American KDRP listed as Spanish language with a big jump, likely because of local music events in Austin during the ratings period where the station would have done plenty of promoting. I suspect these errors will be caught in due time.

I think the KUHA antenna problem might have been ongoing for a while before they could get the new antenna ordered and installed.

Looking around the country for comparison:

WCBS - 2
KRTH - 3
WLS - 15
KISQ - 11
KLUV - 4

Houston oldies / classic hits - we don't have one. But - there is discussion that KUHA may become our SIXTH sports station. yay.

Houston oldies / classic hits - we don't have one. But - there is discussion that KUHA may become our SIXTH sports station. yay.

There is absolutely no discussion of KUHA becoming a sports station. None. Nada.

What did happen is a mistake in identifying the KUHA format by one website that posts ratings numbers. An error, and one of many in those web listings of ratings.

KUHA is a non-commercial station. Quick, name me one non-commercial FM all-sports station.

5 sports station that is 3 to many House radio need more variety than just Spanish Sports and Pop

5 sports station that is 3 to many House radio need more variety than just Spanish Sports and Pop

Spanish is a language, not a format.

Houston oldies / classic hits - we don't have one. .

Yes you do, in a fashion. The KGLK KHPT simulcast self identifies as classic hits and, in any case, occupies the space of such a format.

While the Eagle may be a bit more Aerosmith than Manilow for your taste, it purposely identifies as classic hits and not classic rock.

As Chicago proves, there is not enough room for two classic hits stations in a single market.

Last edited:
5 sports station that is 3 to many

This is a good example of how a rumor gets started.

One poster comments on the mistake on a website where KUHT is listed, incorrectly, as "Sports".

Another poster interprets this mistake to mean that KUHT is switching to sports.

Now this post takes this "5th sports station" as a fact and makes his/her opinion on that known.

In the meantime, the error was further clarified, but neither of the last two posters noticed that.

Looking around the country for comparison:

WCBS - 2
KRTH - 3
WLS - 15
KISQ - 11
KLUV - 4

Never participated in archery, I'd bet...

Surprised KONO-FM wasn't a part of your argument. After all, it's #1 in San Antonio. However, you did list KRTH and that's the definition of ironic to me, as I've been reading a fair share of commentary on the current state of KRTH's playlist, and Bruce, there's a fair share of Angelinos that are not happy with it. Comments along the lines of "Where'd the 60s hits go?" "Too much 80s in the rotation", "They're playing 90s now?!?" and whatnot. Would that make you happy, Bruce? Because that's exactly WHAT Houston would get if we were ever afforded another "Classic Hits" station here in town. Heavy 80s, smattering of 90s, lip service for the 60s and 70s. Hey wait...that's basically The Eagle, only a little less "pop" sounding...

KLDE is dead and gone, and the music it once played ain't coming back.

In other news, seems as though most don't seem to realize we have not 5, but 6 sports stations in Houston. I mean, let's at least get the facts straight, if you are going to rant.

1-KFNC, 2-KILT, 3-KBME, 4-KGOL, 5-KGOW, 6-KIKK.

Yes you do, in a fashion. The KGLK KHPT simulcast self identifies as classic hits and, in any case, occupies the space of such a format.

As Chicago proves, there is not enough room for two classic hits stations in a single market.

Here I have to correct you, David. KHPT/KGLK absolutely, unequivocally identifies itself as "Houston's only CLASSIC ROCK station" and has done so since the demise of 93-7 The Arrow. As we both stated, Cox plays some recordings that are more pop oriented than most classic rock stations do, but it clearly IDs itself as a card carrying member of the classic rock family these days.

...and solidifying your argument as to how rumors get started: WHAT?!?! Channel 8 is going to change to sports, too? 91-7's call is actually KUHA, standing for "University of Houston Arts". 8 is KUHT for "University of Houston Television", and of course 88-7 is "University of Houston FM" as the original radio facility for the school, which began its life at 91-3, same as the current Med Center translator for 91-7.

You almost need a scorecard to keep up with it all, lol...

Spanish is a language, not a format.

I know it is not a format but do we really need 6 7 or 8 Spanish language stations this is the US main language here is English

I know it is not a format but do we really need 6 7 or 8 Spanish language stations this is the US main language here is English

For Christ's sake. Did you mistakenly take a drink from the Carter Reservoir? I expect a statement like that from him, not at all from you.

-1 for the DJ. đź‘Ž

Well, let's see how this works out by straight math.

There are 75 stations (not including translators and LPFMs) in the Houston MSA. 59 are commercial and the rest are non-commercial.

The Houston population is 37% Hispanic. 50% of Hispanics are Spanish dominant and another approximately 20% are bilingual. So we are talking about nearly a third of the market is Spanish speaking with sufficient proficiency to use Spanish language radio.

So, out of 75 stations having 6, 7 or 8 in Spanish is underservice!

Here I have to correct you, David. KHPT/KGLK absolutely, unequivocally identifies itself as "Houston's only CLASSIC ROCK station" and has done so since the demise of 93-7 The Arrow.

My mistake. I should have said that The Eagle self identifies for advertisers as classic hits.

KHPT identifies itself to Nielsen as "classic hits". I should have been clear that the station positioned itself this way for advertiser perception issues. In some parts of the US, classic rock is seen by buyers to have an audience that escaped from a ZZ Top video, while classic hits has more of a suburban boomer image... old but nice.

My main point to Bruce was that KPHT has rather skillfully occupied the space that a classic hits station would occupy. Because they are less classic rock than most classic rockers, they can sell advertisers that they are something that they really are not... by virtue of being close to that in reality. I think this is the reasoning behind the unwillingness of any owner to do a more KONO like classic hits station.

And, of course, The Eagle can always move a little to the right musically and become a KOLA like classic hits station to ward off any competitor. Or, as you mentioned, sound a bit like KRTH which sure is not a WOGL or WCBS kind of classic hits station any more.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom