• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NYC Metro Radio Ratings: August 2015

pjc1961

Star Participant
The August 2015 survey period covers Thu. 7/16/2015 - Wed. 8/12/2015.
Publicly released data for subscribing stations age 6+ overall at the link below:

New York: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb001

Next report will be for the September 2015 survey period covering Thu. 8/13/2015 - 9/9/2015.
The data release date will be Tue. 9/29/2015 (delayed by one day due to Yom Kippur on 9/22-23/2015).

AllAccess.com August 2015 PPM Analysis by Research Director Inc.
including top 5 overall, top 5 in 25-54, top 5 in 18-34 and top 5 in 18-49
(New York is discussed first at the link below):

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...rch-director-inc-presents-exclusive-august-pp

For comparison, see links below to nearby markets also released on Mon. 8/31/2015:

Nassau-Suffolk: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb321
Middlesex-Somerset-Union, NJ: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb413

damn. how did plj wind up so high? they are supposed to be going lower...

i'd love to see if rtings went up or down the week todd wasn't in.

Both all news stations down, WEPN down, WOR up thanks to the Mets I would assume. WABC continues to do worse and could be surpassed by NJ1015 based in Trenton soon. WPLJ I'm surprised by their gain, to me musically they sound like a mess. Fresh maintains the gain they made last month, adding some alternative seems to be the reason so why not a full blown alt in the city? Q1043 is my pet peeve, so stale and predictable, so many deep classic, classic alternative and an occasional rock track from the 2000's to current should be added. I'm sure their ratings will continue to erode unless changes are made.

WOR tops WNYC-FM, with an AM signal. Gee, how's that public talk working out? The all newsers were only down slightly, most likely because of vacations. Cumulus is not having the best run lately.

WOR tops WNYC-FM, with an AM signal. Gee, how's that public talk working out? The all newsers were only down slightly, most likely because of vacations. Cumulus is not having the best run lately.

It is called a "vacation" Elmer. The kind of audience that can generate $65mn/yr for the WNYC Foundation is also the kind that takes summers in the Hamptons and Europe.
WOR has been helped by the NY Mets who are doing well this year. Once the season ends, the station will be back to its regular dying audience.

LCG

It is called a "vacation" Elmer. The kind of audience that can generate $65mn/yr for the WNYC Foundation is also the kind that takes summers in the Hamptons and Europe.

With a cume of 890,000 persons 18+, that far exceeds the capacity of the whole East End. And at any given time, not every affluent person is out in the Hamptons.

But the real point is that none of the Hamptons crowd is likely to carry a PPM, so the whole point is moot. That's just not the kind of person who gets the whole family to carry meters so they can replace the sofa or the refrigerator with what they get in a year from carrying the device.

WOR tops WNYC-FM, with an AM signal.

Maybe you forget that WOR has The Mets this summer. They actually have a great team, and look to be in the playoffs. So it's very likely that the ratings increase is due to sports, not talk.

I didn't forget and am aware that the Mets are helping WORs ratings. That may or may not be the sole cause of the bump. I'd like to know the Daypart comparsions from 12-6.

In any case, Cumulus is horribly managing its assets. The Dickeys may get shown the door sooner rather than later.

@ David E :

Got a few questions ....

Is there a minimum of 'reporting' time per day required for a PPM family? Or is it just a matter of someone in the family keeping the device active? .....

I live in what would be a diary market (if a market actually existed here). From the musty days when all markets were diary-gauged, I recall there being a certain percent of days, or hours, required for a submitted diary to be considered 'usable'.
This is actually the same as the first question. So I'll ask instead if that minimum daily requirement still exists for diarykeepers -- especially in markets that are 'diary' and are embedded in the shadow (or umbrella) of PPM markets ? ......

While living for a while in a suburb, I once got a diary to fill out from Source, for what could only have been for the Philadelphia book. Not meaning to be obstreperous in the least, I dutifully filled it in with a few days of stuff when I actually listened to the radio for any length of time.
Thing is, I had a swell radio and a loop antenna. As a result, Source got back their thing filled with 90 percent AM and FM DX. None of that could be especially pertinent to any Philadelphia market concern. Perhaps WELI 960 from New Haven got to show with a 0.00005 in the Philly book. It took a while listening to ID them, what with WPEN 950's slop. But WELI would have gotten whatever meagre credit there was if my diary were considered usable.
Under the PPM method, which would have gotten credit -- WELI or WPEN's sideband hash? .....

Can I *apply* to keep a diary or do they have to call me at random? If I remember correctly, some places in eastern Schuylkill are distributed a few diaries for either/both the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and/or the Allentown books. I don't work in radio anymore, and of course as a DXer I shun all local stations entirely .......

Someone said recently that ALL counties or regions in the US are rated somehow. But every one of five proximate* books I've seen here in the new home contradicts that declaration. The person also said that it would cost a lot of money for me, or a radio station, or anyone else to procure a copy of such a document. The poster made the prohibitive sum seem like some proliteriat ransom. If that's true, why would any station BOTHER to spend that additional money which otherwise isn't available to the public in 12+ form? .....

* The five books I've seen through the years were Reading, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Allentown, Harrisburg and Williamsport.
There used to be a 6th -- Sunbury-Selinsgove-Lewisburg. But I haven't seen them listed among the markets for years.

I didn't forget and am aware that the Mets are helping WORs ratings. That may or may not be the sole cause of the bump. I'd like to know the Daypart comparsions from 12-6.

It's really easy to see the ratings before baseball season, and now. What changed between then and now? That's really all you need to know.

Is there a minimum of 'reporting' time per day required for a PPM family? Or is it just a matter of someone in the family keeping the device active? .....

Each family or "dwelling unit" gets a meter for every person. And the meter has a motion detector that shows if it is moving such as people do during the day. All meters should report movement every day. If one or more do not move, Nielsen contacts the household. If any member of the household consistently does not undock and carry, they remove the household from the panel.

I live in what would be a diary market (if a market actually existed here). From the musty days when all markets were diary-gauged, I recall there being a certain percent of days, or hours, required for a submitted diary to be considered 'usable'

In the over-200 diary markets, nearly one diary in ten reports no listening. It is usable if it is filled out with the other required data, but daily use of radio is not required.

Under the PPM method, which would have gotten credit -- WELI or WPEN's sideband hash? .....

Whatever encoded audio the meter detects will get credit. Since the hash is not the HD channel audio, they would not get credit.

Can I *apply* to keep a diary or do they have to call me at random?

There is no call-in-to-win here. Diarykeepers are selected at random to be contacted. I calculated the probability of that at once every 82 years in the average market.

Someone said recently that ALL counties or regions in the US are rated somehow. But every one of five proximate* books I've seen here in the new home contradicts that declaration. The person also said that it would cost a lot of money for me, or a radio station, or anyone else to procure a copy of such a document. The poster made the prohibitive sum seem like some proliteriat ransom. If that's true, why would any station BOTHER to spend that additional money which otherwise isn't available to the public in 12+ form? .....

Nielsen does an annual circulation study that includes every county. It is intended to show the reach of network programming for the most part. Local stations in unrated markets sometimes buy it, too, on a county basis. The sample is very small however.

To get a book, via purchase, you have to be a radio station or a legitimate ad agency. It's expensive for radio, and very cheap for agencies as radio subsidizes the agency usage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom