• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Los Angeles + Riverside-San Bernardino Radio Ratings: August 2015

pjc1961

Star Participant
The August 2015 survey period covers Thu. 7/16/2015 - Wed. 8/12/2015.
Publicly released data for subscribing stations age 6+ overall at the links below:

Los Angeles: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb003
Riverside-San Bernardino: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb379

Next report will be for the September 2015 survey period covering Thu. 8/13/2015 - 9/9/2015.
The data release date will be Tue. 9/29/2015 (delayed by one day due to Yom Kippur on 9/22-23/2015).

AllAccess.com August 2015 PPM Analysis by Research Director Inc.
including top 5 overall, top 5 in 25-54, top 5 in 18-34 and top 5 in 18-49
(Los Angeles is discussed second at the link below):

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...rch-director-inc-presents-exclusive-august-pp

Last edited:
Please, everyone, read and discuss the analysis of the in-demo numbers (the last link in the OP) and avoid another round of over-excitement about the 6+ numbers!

Please, everyone, read and discuss the analysis of the in-demo numbers (the last link in the OP) and avoid another round of over-excitement about the 6+ numbers!

Or you could just let people be excited about what they want. This is an entertainment board, not a reference library.

Or you could just let people be excited about what they want. This is an entertainment board, not a reference library.

I'm just saving them the embarrassment of making proclamations that are later proven wrong.

With two facepalms in one week, you are hardly the gatekeeper of the accurate. Furthermore, the link you referenced discusses both 6+ and breakout demo shares.

The link just gives the top 5 in a couple of demos with no actionable data. In some senses, worse than nothing.

I am impressed with KTWV's resilience. I left them for dead, along with other smooth jazz stations, but they have managed to evolve quite seemlessly. Of course, Hot 92's switch to Real 92 didn't hurt. Nevertheless, an impressive performance by The Wave.

The Sound impresses me, too. I preferred their original AAA format but of course that cannot last long here in LA. Their ability to transition to Classic Rock and patiently dethrone legendary KLOS in that format is not a small thing.

I noticed KPWR, despite staying at 3.1, somehow reclaimed its lead over KRRL, who slipped slightly. I don't see Real 92.3 have much effect on taking down Power 106, but it is finally establishing a foothold.

I noticed KPWR, despite staying at 3.1, somehow reclaimed its lead over KRRL, who slipped slightly. I don't see Real 92.3 have much effect on taking down Power 106, but it is finally establishing a foothold.

The interesting thing is that Big Boy is ahead of Power by only 0.3 share points in morning drive; the obvious conclusion is that Big Boy without the support team at Power is not as good a performer.

I am impressed with KTWV's resilience. I left them for dead, along with other smooth jazz stations, but they have managed to evolve quite seemlessly. Of course, Hot 92's switch to Real 92 didn't hurt. Nevertheless, an impressive performance by The Wave.

The Sound impresses me, too. I preferred their original AAA format but of course that cannot last long here in LA. Their ability to transition to Classic Rock and patiently dethrone legendary KLOS in that format is not a small thing.

Taking a quick look at those three stations in-demo:

25-54: KSWD #7, KTWV #10, KLOS #16. Three-book average shows KSWD ahead of KLOS by almost a full point, KTWV has not fallen below a 3.0 since before April.

18-34: KSWD #13, KLOS #14, KTWV #18. While the two classic rockers are nearly identical in the current numbers, KSWD has been consistently higher over the past several months and KLOS has wobbled up and down, dropping below a 2.0 during one week this past month. KTWV actually wobbled a little more this month and ended up flat compared to July's book in this demo.

18-49: KTWV #13, KLOS #15, KSWD #17. All three had virtually identical numbers for August as for July. Here again, the music changes that began to be introduced at KTWV in the spring have caused a gradual uptick in the ratings. They aren't anywhere near their former ratings when they were at their prime, but as you say, many had "left them for dead" and that is proving not to be the case, again as you said.

The dethroning of KLOS is taking a bit longer, and we still don't know what deviation Entercom will take from Bonneville's original game plan. I hope they keep Fred Jacobs on as their consultant; he's a really sharp guy.

I agree.

What remains to be seen, given the closeness of the morning drive numbers between the two, is whether or not all the trouble iHeart went to in acquiring the services of "Big Boy" Alexander will make any kind of long-term difference. They did at least reap some attention with the move that likely caused a lot more people to be aware of the format change at 92.3, and an honest backwards look at that shows Emmis having actually played into their hands by filing the lawsuit, which made even more people aware that something was happening.

But with the dust settled, Power regained lost ground very quickly and iHeart may have ended up overspending to create a competitor in Real. That is a credit to Emmis, who lost their star player, helped iHeart establish a new station with their anguished legal cries, and still have brought 105.9 back in the space of only six months.

The playing fields appear to have evened out. Now the real competition begins.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom