• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KYW Newsradio now airing full CBS Evening News broadcast and 10 PM CW Philly newscast

More changes to KYW 1060

Now 1060 is airing a weekend edition of Reporters Roundup at 7 PM to 7:30 PM Saturdays. I also noticed only one anchor is being used Monday-Friday from 6:30 PM-9:30 PM (excluding the CBS evening News broadcasts at 6:30 PM and 8 PM) and the 10 PM-4:30 AM Monday-Friday anchor, does the 9:30 PM news because of the CW Philly 10 PM news simulcast . I don't know if this is the beginning of major changes coming to KYW or not.

Last edited:
All of that is happening when most people are either watching one of 500 cable channels, or out with friends. Radio listening after 7PM has been weak for a very long time. So staffing has to be commensurate with the revenue it attracts.

Now 1060 is airing a weekend edition of Reporters Roundup at 7 PM to 7:30 PM Saturdays. I also noticed only one anchor is being used Monday-Friday from 6:30 PM-9:30 PM (excluding the CBS evening News broadcasts at 6:30 PM and 8 PM) and the 10 PM-4:30 AM Monday-Friday anchor, does the 9:30 PM news because of the CW Philly 10 PM news simulcast . I don't know if this is the beginning of major changes coming to KYW or not.

As of post time, they are now airing the CBS News weekend roundup . This show usually air at 1 AM, and 3 AM on Sunday mornings.

My thought is as long as they're still running traffic on the 2s who cares. I've been listening at 6:30 and driving from Main Line to NJ and always like to compare KYW to what the Google app or WAZE tell me are the quickest way. Even driving home later at night, the apps seem to mess up and take me down the Schuylkill Expressway when there is a lane closed. KYW tends to tell me when PennDot has a lane closed.

KYW airing 60 Minutes as I speak

I'm not joking. I have been wanting to hear this show on Philadelphia radio for years. As you know I have complained about the fact that this program has not aired on Philadelphia radio and being one of the last top markets, not to air this show on the radio. I am so glad that KYW has finally decided to air 60 Minutes. Now the next thing they need to do, is start airing the CBS top of the hour newscasts 24/7 and revamp their news format and schedule. The current changes with some additions to their programming so far is a start.

Last edited:
Also, only one anchor did the news from 6 PM-11 PM on last night. Don't know if it's the case again tonight.

The CBS News station in Boston, WBZ, is all-news only between 5AM and 7PM.

Could it happen in Philadelphia too? Sure.

Could KYW 1060 become a news/talk station?

The CBS News station in Boston, WBZ, is all-news only between 5AM and 7PM.

Could it happen in Philadelphia too? Sure.

Would not shock me if KYW becomes a news/talk station and perhaps, 1210 AM WPHT going with another format, if that's the case. I doubt that CBS will run 2 news/talk stations in the same market. It might save CBS a lot of money if KYW and WPHT were to merge and KYW becoming a news talker. CBS is cost cutting as it is. Something to think about.

Last edited:
As we've said, there is no other format for an AM. They already are doing sports.

All news gets better ratings than talk. If KYW does what WBZ is doing, they'll just run talk at night.

As we've said, there is no other format for an AM. They already are doing sports.

All news gets better ratings than talk. If KYW does what WBZ is doing, they'll just run talk at night.

But what would happen to WPHT 1210, if KYW decides to do news/talk? Will 1210 keep the current format and perhaps go all syndicated talk and the local talk shows that are on 1210, going to 1060? I can't imagine 1210 staying like it is right now, if KYW makes a major move and go all news/talk, similar to WBZ. It would be awkward for CBS radio to own 2 news/talk stations in Philly competing with each other.

Last edited:
I'm not joking. I have been wanting to hear this show on Philadelphia radio for years. As you know I have complained about the fact that this program has not aired on Philadelphia radio and being one of the last top markets, not to air this show on the radio. I am so glad that KYW has finally decided to air 60 Minutes. Now the next thing they need to do, is start airing the CBS top of the hour newscasts 24/7 and revamp their news format and schedule. The current changes with some additions to their programming so far is a start.

Why? Don't you have a TV that gets channel 3?

I have two reactions to the fact that KYW is going toward programming that is not local (CBS Evening News) and/or live (the 8 pm airing) during the evenings:

The idealistic part of me is disappointed that I can no longer get traffic on the 2s at 8:02 pm on weeknights. I was in my car last night during that time ... no traffic report from 8:00 to 8:05 when I finally switched to another station.

The realistic part of me knows that all-news is the most expensive format (local talk and local sports talk come close). KYW has been busy in the last 1-2 years cutting costs: The list of veteran on-air personnel who have been let go or are "retiring" (I doubt some were truly retirements), not to mention some who have been bumped back to part-time status, has been growing. Latest: Mike Dunn. First they trimmed Accu Weather back to AM drive only, then they got rid of it altogether. Last local business anchor (Vince Hill) - gone. Business outsourced to Bloomberg. Not many KYW-only sports people left. Much now handled by WIP personnel. And the list goes on and on.

I'm guessing that, if CBS didn't own 1210 WPHT in Philadelphia, we'd see a situation like WBZ in Boston where it's all-news from 5 am to 8 pm, and talk evenings and overnights. If KYW were to do that, they'd be competing with their own co-owned station, so I guess as long as CBS owns 1210 in Philly, "all news, all the time" is safe on 1060.

Kinda sad to see this happen. And all this is happening while they are hyping their 50th anniversary this year.

I have two reactions to the fact that KYW is going toward programming that is not local (CBS Evening News) and/or live (the 8 pm airing) during the evenings:

The idealistic part of me is disappointed that I can no longer get traffic on the 2s at 8:02 pm on weeknights. I was in my car last night during that time ... no traffic report from 8:00 to 8:05 when I finally switched to another station.

The realistic part of me knows that all-news is the most expensive format (local talk and local sports talk come close). KYW has been busy in the last 1-2 years cutting costs: The list of veteran on-air personnel who have been let go or are "retiring" (I doubt some were truly retirements), not to mention some who have been bumped back to part-time status, has been growing. Latest: Mike Dunn. First they trimmed Accu Weather back to AM drive only, then they got rid of it altogether. Last local business anchor (Vince Hill) - gone. Business outsourced to Bloomberg. Not many KYW-only sports people left. Much now handled by WIP personnel. And the list goes on and on.

I'm guessing that, if CBS didn't own 1210 WPHT in Philadelphia, we'd see a situation like WBZ in Boston where it's all-news from 5 am to 8 pm, and talk evenings and overnights. If KYW were to do that, they'd be competing with their own co-owned station, so I guess as long as CBS owns 1210 in Philly, "all news, all the time" is safe on 1060.

Kinda sad to see this happen. And all this is happening while they are hyping their 50th anniversary this year.
Me too. I still think that CBS might cut costs and merge the 2 formats on 1060 and 1210 and making KYW perhaps a news/talker, either staying on 1060 or move to 1210 AM. It would save CBS a lot of money consolidating the 2 formats into one station, instead of running them separately on 1060 and 1210 AM, as they have for the past 19 years.

One thing though Julius: If CBS is making a reasonable profit on both stations, they have no reason to combine them to save costs. Now, if one or the other were to reach a point where they weren't making a large enough profit in the eyes of the CBS suits, that'd be a different story.

Or this is another way you might find talk end on 1210 and talk creep onto 1060 during "off hours": What if, just like the company did with 92.5 and 96.5, CBS is able to pick up another big signal FM in Philly. We know More FM 101.1 is for sale. And I keep wondering how long Radio One will hang on with its three-station cluster in Philly, particularly when two of the stations do not have full-market FM signals. If CBS really wanted to pay for 101.1 (and they don't ... more on that in a moment), they could divest 1060 or 1210, just like they did recently with 610, so they'd stay below FCC and anti-trust market caps.

But the Beasley deal that brought 92.5 and 96.5 to CBS and sent 610 to Beasley was a multi-market trade. It's been reported elsewhere that CBS would like to consolidate its radio holdings in the larger markets where it has TV stations. But it would prefer to do that through station trading, not purchase.

Now, there could be some complicated, multi-owner, multi-market trade that could bring 101.1 to CBS ... but it's an incredible long shot.

Until something like that happens, or until 1060 or 1210 become much less profitable than what they are, CBS will hang onto both, and they will have separate formats - one "all news" and one talk.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom