• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Who Will Replace Dave O'Brien?

Maybe it's a matter of Sox owned NESN not
wanting to pay a high salary as Herald Inside
Track says,but if it's a case if someone or a group
of people at the Sox not liking Orsillo for some
reason,I'd think the Sox would use the power
they have of approving booth people and
they could veto it (i.e.,an Orsillo to Sox radio
situation)

Maybe it's a matter of Sox owned NESN not
wanting to pay a high salary as Herald Inside
Track says,but if it's a case if someone or a group
of people at the Sox not liking Orsillo for some
reason,I'd think the Sox would use the power
they have of approving booth people and
they could veto it (i.e.,an Orsillo to Sox radio
situation)

I don't think the Track Gals know what they are talking about. Do you think Dave O'Brien is going to work for less than Orsillo was making? This is not about money. NESN and The Red Sox wanted to make a change. Orsillo has been very professional about the situation and he will find another job without any difficulty. I bet he wished he took the fulltime job with TBS when it was offered.

Didn't something similar happen back in the late 70's with the Sox TV Play by Play guy Ken Coleman moved from TV to Radio and Ned Martin went from Radio to TV?

FLM* would be a good color guy - he's already demostrated that fact - but he's not a play-by-play guy. Typically both guys share the play-by-play on the radio, so he'd need to be a 3rd guy in the booth if they continue that practice.

*Framingham's Lou Merloni

well the question is who covers for Dave o'brien? I know he does espn on Mondays. then that person might just take over full time. Another question is he going to continue with ESPN? i'd assume not.

ESPN already stated that Dave will cut back on his baseball duties (meaning he probably won't be doing any baseball work for them anymore) but picking up more college basketball work. I can't imagine NESN would want Dave missing every Monday and Wednesday game as he currently does on the radio.

I'm reasonably sure (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Remy's contract is up this year too. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if NESN cut Jerry too but probably not with Don going. But I do think that with all of Jerry's health and other issues over the last few years (and with all the time he's missed) that they would cut his workload, probably cutting him back to strictly home games and using another analyst for road games. Who? Steve Lyons is the obvious choice. I find Lyons very imformative and he gives a lot more info than Jerry does. Jerry has been autopilot for years anyway.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-...r-don-orsillo-ousted-to-re-energize-broadcast

Yup, NESN doesn't know how they will use Remy next year which basically means: he could be out completely (I THINK his contract is up as well); he could be reduced to just road or home games; or maybe pushed back to NESN pregame/postgame, joining the roster of Jim Rice, Tim Wakefield and Steve Lyons with Tom Caron although, as I said before, I believe Steve Lyons will succeed Jerry. Both Don and Jerry are lame ducks at this point with Don knowing he definitely won't be back and Jerry pretty much knowing he won't be a full time analyst anymore.

Michael Silverman in today's Herald says WEEI offered
Orsillo the job of doing games with Joe Castiglione
plus some other responsibilities..,for one third the
money he was making at NESN.Did not go for it.

Chad Finn lobbies for Lou Merloni

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...radio-booth/wDDcotnObHu6rtlFIpsoiL/story.html

Merloni’s contract is up early in 2016, and while he remains the best thing about a midday show that has struggled in the ratings, the timing seems perfect to slide him into a role in which he has already succeeded and yet retains promise for further improvement.

A wide-ranging search is understandable. It’s a coveted gig. But the answer is already in the building. The choice should be a familiar voice. Lou Merloni has been a superb utility player on the broadcasts. It’s time to make him the regular.

Am I the only one who doesn't understand Merloni's appeal, both in the booth and on WEEI? He sounds like one of the Wahlbergs, or Matt Damon, sporting his best Boston accent in a movie. I know he is a local, but he doesn't sound polished. Moreover, he lacks insights in sports other than baseball. His "I played the game and you didn't act" is tired. And his habit of referring to athletes by nicknames is also extremely annoying. I'm sure no one will agree, but even Mutt would be better in the booth than Merloni.

Am I the only one who doesn't understand Merloni's appeal, both in the booth and on WEEI? He sounds like one of the Wahlbergs, or Matt Damon, sporting his best Boston accent in a movie. I know he is a local, but he doesn't sound polished. Moreover, he lacks insights in sports other than baseball. His "I played the game and you didn't act" is tired. And his habit of referring to athletes by nicknames is also extremely annoying. I'm sure no one will agree, but even Mutt would be better in the booth than Merloni.

Lou is fine for color but not play by play.

Matter of time before Dale & Holley go back to middays. Then it's Glenn and who in PM drive? Who can rival Felger? Not Lou or Christian. Maybe Minhane.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom