• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Evenings on 106.7

RoddyFreeman

Walk of Fame Participant
On nights when the Braves weren't playing or were playing late, 106.7 has been carrying Bob Frantz, a talk show host in Cleveland who did a live show for Atlanta. He was, well, okay.

Tonight I tuned in and was surprised to hear a Walter Sterling. A little Googling around showed that Walter Sterling is actually Walter Sabo, one of the leading figures in programming over the past 30 years. He was an EVP at NBC Radio and a high-level programming executive at ABC. Then he became a highly-regarded News/Talk consultant. Some say he was instrumental in the creation of the AC format.

Are things that bad that he's filling in on a local Cumulus station in evenings? I saw that he also has filled in on 1210 AM, a CBS news/talk station in Philly.

Months ago, there use to be some lady on in the evenings. From the way she was talking, she was probably in her 20's. Seemed ok, but I probably couldn't take her on a everyday basis. Tonight I went to the supermarket around 7 pm and they were playing "the Best of the Kimmer". Sounded like it was from the past day o two with the references he made. At first, I was a little confused because even though it sounded like him, the tone was slightly off. I was wondering if maybe he was doing a fill in evening show that was slightly toned down from his afternoon antics. But then I heard the You are listening to Best of....... How long has his been going on? If they are doing replays of his show, the original must be doing ok. Hopefully they will stop the daily jabs that the show is not going to be round for long. I know that it is shtick (just like all of his other over acting bs) but it is getting annoying.

The lady was Cooper Lawrence. I think she's somewhat older than her 20's and has been in talk radio for a while.

How long is this going to last? I think just one day before Michael Graham and Kimmer's contracts expires. Once the Big C can wash their hands of that, you'll see a format change.

BTW, tried to do a quick search for "Y1067" and got re-directed to the Cumulus corporate page. Just interesting …

BTW, tried to do a quick search for "Y1067" and got re-directed to the Cumulus corporate page. Just interesting …

The Y1067 most likely was a hold over from when 106.7 was country. It only costs a couple of bucks a year to secure a and hold on to a domain name. Most net savvy folks keep "old" names around to either prevent someone picking up the name and running it against them in the the market, or selling the name to someone else.

106.7's performance (or lack of) is not Cumulus' top issue now. The stock has tanked:

http://data.cnbc.com/quotes/CMLS

They will have to refinance / restructure the debt. I hope will be some equity left after this, because a lot of companies "match" the employees 401 K with stock. If Cumulus has done so then a lot of regular folks retirement will be hurt.

BTW: I doubt Cumulus will go the route of Citadel because, love them or hate them the Dickeys will figure a way out of this. They always have.

How long is this going to last? I think just one day before Michael Graham and Kimmer's contracts expires. Once the Big C can wash their hands of that, you'll see a format change.

www.99x.com redirects to the 100.5 web page. I guess they are still using the WNNX calls...

Sterling is out and Franz is back, as of tonight. Pity. I didn't know Sterling or Sabo before hearing him a few times lately and I really liked what I heard. He had a definite David Letterman style going on. Went out of my way to listen a lot more lately.

Is Cumulus moving out it's HQ to NY?

I doubt it. Higher rent, salaries and taxes in NYC. They might move to one of the rural or economically depressed areas in New York state that has some sweet tax breaks.

If I was put in charge of the cloud company, I would do a cluster by cluster return on capital analysis of each cluster and see if they would be in a better kept or sold. The Capital would be the sale price of the cluster because the Bankruptcy codes pretty well destroys the equity and the debt holders are at the mercy of the Judge who almost always gives the existing management a chance to right the ship.* The AM and FM in NYC could be sold for a large chunk of change. They should generate a lot of cash. I do not think WABC is doing that well.

* It is usually in the best interest of the creditors to allow the trustee the "fix" what can be fixed so the company ends up profitable and is either sold or the creditor keeps the asset for himself.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom