• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes at WFUV

They're snuffing out The Alternate Side, which was simulcast on WNYE (91.5) on weekdays from 6 a.m. to 12 noon. What will WNYE do with those hours now?

The Alternate Side webstream is apparently gone now, too. (It was also on 90.7 FM-HD3, not that anybody cares about that part.)

Nobody is getting fired, with all the Alt Side DJs reassigned within the dull FUV mothership, but what a drag. They clearly loved doing indie/alt rock and now they have to hew to the restrictions of the sleepy AAA format.

WNYE 91.5 had been carrying WFUV HD3 The Alternate Side from 6 AM-12 PM weekdays. Now that The Alternate Side and the HD3 are gone, WNYE now rebroadcasts the regular WFUV signal during that time period. The WFUV website also mentions a simulcast during afternoon drive.
Does WNYE have a better signal than WFUV in many parts of the New York Metro area?

Last edited:

They're snuffing out The Alternate Side, which was simulcast on WNYE (91.5) on weekdays from 6 a.m. to 12 noon. What will WNYE do with those hours now?

The Alternate Side webstream is apparently gone now, too. (It was also on 90.7 FM-HD3, not that anybody cares about that part.)

Nobody is getting fired, with all the Alt Side DJs reassigned within the dull FUV mothership, but what a drag. They clearly loved doing indie/alt rock and now they have to hew to the restrictions of the sleepy AAA format.

SLEEPY
You HAVE been away for a lonnnnnng time!

SLEEPY
You HAVE been away for a lonnnnnng time!
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Some AAA stations may not be so sleepy anymore, but WFUV is not one of the more adventurous ones. It's still pretty milquetoast.

Anyway, WNYE's schedule has been further revamped as of Aug. 31. It's peculiarly lame. They could do all kinds of interesting things with this public resource but instead they just simulcast WFUV from 6 to 10 a.m., and then air NPR/PRI news/talk from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., including airing All Things Considered from 4 to 6, which is a total waste of time and money since WNYC-FM/AM already carry it. Why not let volunteers come and in and play good local music or do local public affairs programming or something?

Now that The Alternate Side and the HD3 are gone, WNYE now rebroadcasts the regular WFUV signal during that time period. The WFUV website also mentions a simulcast during afternoon drive.
Does WNYE have a better signal than WFUV in many parts of the New York Metro area?
Yes, WNYE-91.5 covers Brooklyn and several other areas better than WFUV for the most part. This used to be true in many parts of Manhattan as well, especially lower Manhattan, but these days I'm not sure, since WFUV now has an on-channel translator (WFUV-3) in midtown. WNYE also has a good signal in northern NJ, and WFUV mostly comes in poorly there except for Bergen County and some other far-north bits.

Still, there is a LOT of overlap and it mostly seems like a waste of time to me.

WFUV is ostensibly a 46,000-watt station but its somewhat lousy coverage vs. WNYE's 2000 watts is a good example of how height is often better than power in FM radio. WFUV kills in the northern suburbs though.

You mean like WBAI?
Ha ha ha ha, touché.

I was thinking more like WFMU, but that's easier said than done.

I have no idea why WNYE doesn't just rent out that weekday time to foreign-language interests like it does with its weekend programming. Maybe they have some kind of mandate or charter that prevents them from going to brokered-time programming 24/7.

I have no idea why WNYE doesn't just rent out that weekday time to foreign-language interests like it does with its weekend programming.

Seems to me they did that at one time.

When comparing WFMU an WNYE, keep in mind the difference in ownership. I believe that WNYE has civil service engineers running the place. That makes creative programming a bit more challenging. Much easier to just open a network feed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom