• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hylitradio.com

Al, I have a question for you, why is it iradiophilly is the only and I mean only internet site that is not broadcasting in Stereo, after being on the net for over three years, even the most miniscule sites have good Stereo and many are digital also, and are on AM but have Stereo streams. Its almost 2016 and from what I have heard, many people refuse to listen to a Mono sound in this day and age and wont listen to your site because of the horrible sound, and the constant bombardment of Cancer commercials kinda upsets listeners also.

Last edited:
Al, I have a question for you, why is it iradiophilly is the only and I mean only internet site that is not broadcasting in Stereo, after being on the net for over three years, even the most miniscule sites have good Stereo and many are digital also, and are on AM but have Stereo streams. Its almost 2016 and from what I have heard, many people refuse to listen to a Mono sound in this day and age and wont listen to your site because of the horrible sound, and the constant bombardment of Cancer commercials kinda upsets listeners also.

I noticed that also, even though they have a great selection of formats, I enjoy the Christmas sounds all year around, the sound is flat and very mono-ish LOL. My main catch on the net is KFXM, out of a small town, Lancaster, California, great oldies in STEREO....I do not understand why no stereo, the absence of any response to your post must mean they have no real answer, probably a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ issue...

Yes, the sound is mono. I'd beg to differ that it is horrible. It's not bad quality, just mono. Our stations are all mono because we only have 24 channels of audio processing. That's one per station. I'd love to be in stereo on all the stations, we need to double our audio processors and that takes a lot of cash. It is on the priority list. Most sites out there are just one station and they don't even bother to do processing. It's easy to change the setting to stereo, all the music is playing stereo (well expect for the 50's 60's music which is actually in mono). We need more hardware to do it right.

As for the commercials, We only run 4 commercials an hour. That's 4 :30 commercials. I'll have to check on the frequency of the Cancer Treatment spots.

Al Clay
iradiophilly

Listeners would rather hear good stereo separation, then great processing, just like when FM first exploded in the late 60's, it was the stereo that made them great. Of course FM sounded good even in mono back then when most FM stations did not go stereo at first, after listening to AM. There are sites that have more than 100 channels, Slacker, 181 Radio, Boomer Radio, Fusion Radio, Abetterradio and thousands more with many channels and their stereo and overall sound is fantastic. I never went to a music site that was in mono, this has to be the first and its been years, its like buying a TV with no HD.

Listeners would rather hear good stereo separation, then great processing, just like when FM first exploded in the late 60's, it was the stereo that made them great.

There is no evidence to support that statement. FM Stereo was introduced in 1961, and it took 3 years to get up to 200 stations. And the interest in the band barely increased, if at all.

FM began its growth in 1967 when the FCC mandated an end to most larger city simulcasts. This forced stations to create new formats, which happened to be ones that initially did not compete with the owner's AM station. Those new stations carried few commercials, and often had better coverage than the associated AM station.

New formats, lower commercial loads, better coverage. That's what pushed the growth of FM, not stereo.

And there was no "explosion" of FM... just a gradual growth over the next decade or so.

Of course FM sounded good even in mono back then when most FM stations did not go stereo at first, after listening to AM.

By the time the FCC mandated separate FM programming in '67, nearly every major market full signal FM was in stereo.

I'm not saying mono is better. It's just a compromise at the moment. We have been focusing our efforts on the content. We feel that the usual listening environment (Laptop speakers, cell phones) doesn't register a large difference between mono and stereo. There is no stereo light that turns on anymore. You hear mono music all the time, at wawa, the bank, the stadium. Of course, there are listeners that want stereo and hook up their computers or internet radios to better systems. Bohemian Rhapsody isn't the same in mono. But our listeners have been coming for the content regardless. We will be upgrading. The sites you mentioned one was funded $40 million, a few others also received funding. You don't want to listen to a station that doesn't have processing, stereo or not, levels can jump all over the place, it can sound like a mess. It's coming, don't worry.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy your service, the selection is top notch, the Alternative, Standards and Christmas music are my favorites, I love sitting on the beach on a hot summer day in July with Christmas music on my Iphone, I just prefer Stereo when listening...and I did notice WMID back on line with good Stereo even though they are a mono AM over the air Signal.

What is so great about this site, with the so much better thousands of classic oldie sites, this one is at the very bottom for great oldies, it was the same stale Schlock. Slacker, radio 181, KFXM, KYA are just a few sites that blow this site to bits.

Hylitradio.com is kaput. Sent Sam an email sometime back with no reply. How sad he can't even reply to old friends and fans of the site.

Not only is KFXM.com (mentioned previously) a good online station, richbroradio.com is good, too. They have vintage jingles on that station, great stereo and great processing.

Not only is KFXM.com (mentioned previously) a good online station, richbroradio.com is good, too. They have vintage jingles on that station, great stereo and great processing.

I'm wondering if hylitradio.com gave up with the new fees (??)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom