• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Music in banks

"I can't remember how many years it has been since I was inside a bank building. Usually it is the ATM or drive-thru. I'm not even sure they still have tellers."

It's been about 10 years since I last was inside any bank building. On the other hand, I go into my credit union at least once every two weeks to cash my paycheques.

They have an Encompass LE there through which comes either 7890 or Foreground One.

I don't know how to interpret this but I went in my bank (the one with Whitesnake a few months back) and heard country music. Since it was a crossover song, it could have been on the same AC station. Or, maybe they got tired of AC.

Getting back to what music gets programmed in banks, or doctor's offices or other places of business... I understand that I can't expect to walk in and hear the soft hits of the 70s or 80s. But I also don't expect to hear uptempo Top 40 or Hip Hop or Rock music. The whole idea of music in the background was that it was supposed to be IN THE BACKGROUND. It was supposed to give us a lift, put us in a happy or relaxed mood, even if we really weren't aware of it.

But in 2015, there is no such thing as relaxing music anymore. It isn't that Sade and Norah Jones have stopped putting out music. It's that even stations aimed at the high end of 25-54 won't play them anymore. So recently while in a drug store, waiting to check out, I was hearing "Shake It Off" and "All About The Bass." When I was in a drug store 30 years ago, I wasn't hearing The Rolling Stones or Rick James. I heard SOME sort of relaxing music. Gee, I remember some banks --gasp-- used to play Classical music on the P.A. system, no doubt thinking that would make us think, wow, this is a SERIOUS institution which really cares about protecting my money. Now many markets, even large markets like Houston, Atlanta and Miami, have no Classical station, be it commercial or public.

So what is happening with today's adults? Why do they only want to hear uptempo hits? While our parents relaxed to Percy Faith and Henry Mancini, or Sinatra and Johnny Mathis, we relaxed to Carole King and James Taylor, or Lionel Richie and Gloria Estefan. Now that's all over. It's not that young adults are choosing different soft music than us, they're choosing no any soft music at all.

So what is happening with today's adults? Why do they only want to hear uptempo hits? While our parents relaxed to Percy Faith and Henry Mancini, or Sinatra and Johnny Mathis, we relaxed to Carole King and James Taylor, or Lionel Richie and Gloria Estefan. Now that's all over. It's not that young adults are choosing different soft music than us, they're choosing no any soft music at all.

Starting in the MTV years, it became possible for a listener to Top 40 radio to hear almost all uptempo music. By the '90s, the slower songs had disappeared, except for R&B "slow jams"and the brief late-'90s female singer/songwriter explosion (Jewel, Alanis Morissette, Sheryl Crow, Paula Cole, etc.). Hip-hop and very uptempo pop dominated the next decade. Bottom line: Those listeners were exposed to few or no slow songs and their preferences in adulthood remain strictly uptempo and rhythmic.

Getting back to what music gets programmed in banks, or doctor's offices or other places of business... I understand that I can't expect to walk in and hear the soft hits of the 70s or 80s. But I also don't expect to hear uptempo Top 40 or Hip Hop or Rock music. The whole idea of music in the background was that it was supposed to be IN THE BACKGROUND. It was supposed to give us a lift, put us in a happy or relaxed mood, even if we really weren't aware of it.

But in 2015, there is no such thing as relaxing music anymore. It isn't that Sade and Norah Jones have stopped putting out music. It's that even stations aimed at the high end of 25-54 won't play them anymore. So recently while in a drug store, waiting to check out, I was hearing "Shake It Off" and "All About The Bass." When I was in a drug store 30 years ago, I wasn't hearing The Rolling Stones or Rick James. I heard SOME sort of relaxing music. Gee, I remember some banks --gasp-- used to play Classical music on the P.A. system, no doubt thinking that would make us think, wow, this is a SERIOUS institution which really cares about protecting my money. Now many markets, even large markets like Houston, Atlanta and Miami, have no Classical station, be it commercial or public.

We had a very long thread about this a couple of years ago.

They're about rhythm and tempo. That triggers the "happy" center of their brain. Soft or slow is percieved as "sad". I've said it here before: The Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated" tests well among women in their 40s. They think it's fun.

They're about rhythm and tempo. That triggers the "happy" center of their brain. Soft or slow is percieved as "sad". I've said it here before: The Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated" tests well among women in their 40s. They think it's fun.

Fun song for men in their 50s, too. The organist at Fenway Park played it before a Red Sox game I went to several years ago and I thought it was about the coolest thing I'd ever heard an ballpark organist play. Not that "coolest" and "ballpark organist" are concepts you normally see associated with each other, of course.

Gregg is right about one thing. Would you trust someone who plays Whitesnake with your money?

Now based on other responses to this thread, I'm guessing most of you wouldn't have a problem with that.

I was re-reading this thread and noted Mike Hagerty's answer to Gregg's last paragraph:

Another stray thought. Today's adults don't bow down reverently to institutions the way previous generations did. Growing up in the 1960s, accompanying my mother to her bank seemed the equivalent of going to church on Sunday and the interior spaces of financial institutions were rather "sterile" both in appearance and mood.

Now banks (and credit unions, especially) are warmer. They hire interior decorators to create a more welcoming environment and train their employees to be friendlier and greet customers by name. Soft music is anathema to that model.

In fact, about the only place I would expect "relaxing" music anymore would be in a funeral home.

Another stray thought. Today's adults don't bow down reverently to institutions the way previous generations did. Growing up in the 1960s, accompanying my mother to her bank seemed the equivalent of going to church on Sunday and the interior spaces of financial institutions were rather "sterile" both in appearance and mood.

One of my favorite lyrics:

Standin' in line at the Bank of America

Nobody spoke...they were in the house of God.

John Stewart, "Kansas Rain", 1971

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom