• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Americas Best Music dropping all DJs

And actually "In the Mood" was written and recorded in 1939, so it is not a true 40's song!

"In the Mood" was released in September of 1939, which is late enough in the decade to consider it a 40's song as well, as it was probably on the charts going into the next year (see link below). I'm pretty sure radio stations in 1940 continued to air it, too.

http://tsort.info/music/yr1940.htm

Last edited:
"In the Mood" was released in September of 1939, which is late enough in the decade to consider it a 40's song as well, as it was probably on the charts going into the next year (see link below). I'm pretty sure radio stations in 1940 continued to air it, too.

I remember hearing "In The Mood" while home on leave from the navy in the '63 time frame. I am pretty sure it was one of the stations in SF but don't remember which one. I was not into Swing at that time so didn't realize what the name of the song was until many years later.

I explained these people are so talented, we wouldn't even be able to afford one of them, but if a couple of hundred stations like us pool our resources, we can bring this to you. I guess he bought it
According to Wikipedia, Jeff Rollins actually works at 97.1 the Ocean in Vero Beach/Fort Pierce, FL.

Actually, the version of In the Mood that was played on the network was the stereo version from 1983. They did play other songs from the 40's, such as:

The Three Sons - Twilight Time
Dick Haymes - Little White Lies (1948)
Dick Haymes - You'll Never Know (with piano, not the accapella version from 1944)
Perry Como - They Say it's Wonderful (Original Version from 1946)
Frankie Laine - That's My Desire (updated version with electric piano)

And of course they played updated versions of big band songs from the Spitfire Band, Glenn Gray, and Ted Heath.
I do remember hearing the name Dick Haymes when I first listened back in the early 90s. Even then, they were playing AC from the 70s such as Glen Campbell.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom