• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Call Letters - KFRC

I get that, but it's really more about how KFRC's low frequency and towers in the marsh make a difference...turning 5,000 watts into the virtual equivalent of 50,000.

It's a shame that future generations probably won't have a reason to appreciate such things, even if they should manage to stay on the air. :(

It's a shame that future generations probably won't have a reason to appreciate such things, even if they should manage to stay on the air. :(

Too late already for that. To the present and (presumably) future generations, 610 is that creaky old AM station that plays religious speeches by Harold Camping.

Too late already for that. To the present and (presumably) future generations, 610 is that creaky old AM station that plays religious speeches by Harold Camping.

I drove by the 610 tower twice yesterday, going into and leaving SF. Struck me that it's been ten-plus years since it flipped to religion.

Drove past it on the way in tuned to 106.9 HD-2, which plays classic hits as KFRC. Pure timing...the legal ID hit just as I was driving by. It's still the same as in this sample, but they powered cold out of the jingle into Earth, Wind & Fire's "Sing A Song". Almost like the real thing.

http://www.tophour.com/audio/San Francisco-San Jose CA/fm1069hd2_2010-01_kfrc-fm-hd2_sfybush.mp3

I drove by the 610 tower twice yesterday, going into and leaving SF. Struck me that it's been ten-plus years since it flipped to religion.

Drove past it on the way in tuned to 106.9 HD-2, which plays classic hits as KFRC. Pure timing...the legal ID hit just as I was driving by. It's still the same as in this sample, but they powered cold out of the jingle into Earth, Wind & Fire's "Sing A Song". Almost like the real thing.

http://www.tophour.com/audio/San Francisco-San Jose CA/fm1069hd2_2010-01_kfrc-fm-hd2_sfybush.mp3

Near the end of the link are the letters, "b-u-s-h". Wasn't KFRC on Bush Street or do I have the wrong San Francisco station? If so, that's either quite a coincidence or someone did it on purpose.

Near the end of the link are the letters, "b-u-s-h". Wasn't KFRC on Bush Street or do I have the wrong San Francisco station? If so, that's either quite a coincidence or someone did it on purpose.

KFRC was at 415 Bush Street from 1959-1984, when they moved to 500 Washington. But the "bush" you see on the link is the final four letters of "sfybush"...Scott Fybush, who runs the TOH ID website, as well as a site with photos and information about tower sites around the country, fybush.com.

You're right about the address ...
http://www.americanradiohistory.com...YB/1974-BC-YB-OCR-Page-0224.pdf#search="kfrc"

... but wrong about the link's significance. TopHour's file-naming protocol includes the first initial and last name of the clip's contributor as what follows the last _ character. In this case, well-known engineer Scott Fybush.

Thank you, gentlemen. I actually read the "sf" as San Francisco but didn't know what to do with the "y". I know of the man in question. It's still quite a coincidence.

I get that, but it's really more about how KFRC's low frequency and towers in the marsh make a difference...turning 5,000 watts into the virtual equivalent of 50,000.

Don't forget that was also an era of less interference, car radios with resonant front ends (remember when you had to peak that little capacitor on a weak station around 1400 KHz? - if so, you're showing your age) and nothing else on 610 KHz - er... kilocycles. My how times have changed.

Dave B.

If CBS does drop the KFRC calls, I'll bet there station would file for the calls

I know CBS won''t

There's no point to dropping the calls as long as they're running a KFRC-branded format on the HD2 channel. Even if it were to go away, there's no downside to the FM being KFRC. The KCBS/KFRC simulcast works fine and the ID is as slick as they come.

What they should do is revert the calls back to KQW, separate programming and turn KFRC back to KFRC again, and I mean top 40 live 24/7, not another incarnation of automated Beatles, Beach Boys and Supremes all day.

Last edited:
What they should do is revert the calls back to KQW, separate programming and turn KFRC back to KFRC again, and I mean top 40 live 24/7, not another incarnation of automated Beatles, Beach Boys and Supremes all day.

And where would the money to pay all this live 24/7 talent come from? Certainly not the advertisers, which will be scarce to non-existent.

And where would the money to pay all this live 24/7 talent come from? Certainly not the advertisers, which will be scarce to non-existent.

I think Red78 might have had his tongue in his cheek. Who would listen to music on monaural AM radio in this day and age? AM sound quality is much worse than it was in the heyday of AM Radio, while "hi-def" FM stereo is better than ever. The last AM music stations I can recall were Saul Levine's classical (K-Mozart) and Oldies stations in the 90s, and they tanked pretty quickly.

The last AM music stations I can recall were Saul Levine's classical (K-Mozart) and Oldies stations in the 90s, and they tanked pretty quickly.

Ummmm, maybe up there in S.F., Llew, but down here KMZT (K-Mozart) still occupies the old 1260 spot that was KGIL. And sounds pretty clean at my house, about 3½ miles south of the transmitter site. Saul says it comes in clean at his house in Beverly Hills as well, about ten miles away.

Ummmm, maybe up there in S.F., Llew, but down here KMZT (K-Mozart) still occupies the old 1260 spot that was KGIL. And sounds pretty clean at my house, about 3½ miles south of the transmitter site. Saul says it comes in clean at his house in Beverly Hills as well, about ten miles away.

Oh, it's possible for AM to sound reasonably good given:

* Attention paid to bandwidth at the transmitter
* A good ratio of desired-signal-to-interference at the receiver (note - this doesn't mean just a "strong signal")
* A quality AM receiver

How often do all three of those come together? Not very.

Dave B.

I think Red78 might have had his tongue in his cheek. Who would listen to music on monaural AM radio in this day and age? AM sound quality is much worse than it was in the heyday of AM Radio, while "hi-def" FM stereo is better than ever. The last AM music stations I can recall were Saul Levine's classical (K-Mozart) and Oldies stations in the 90s, and they tanked pretty quickly.

Actually, Llew...if I understand Red78 correctly, when he mentions "reverting the call letters to KQW", that would be a reference to KCBS. He then says they should separate programming, which would mean KFRC would get the FM at 106.9.

A few problems:

*If you were to do this, there'd be no need to dump the well-known KCBS calls on 740.

*So much of KCBS' present-day listening is on the FM, ending the simulcast would be a mistake for KCBS.

*Live Top 40 24/7 would be today's hit music. If the "78" in "Red78" is Red's year of birth, that might be a station he'd like. But there are stations that (more or less) fill that bill already in the Bay Area, including Wild and KMVQ (the old KFRC-FM at 99.7)

*The KFRC call letters, having last been associated with Top 40 in 1986, and last with a winning Top 40 in 1983, would have zero value for today's Top 40 audience.

Saul is also running an adult standards format (with a bit of a jazz flair) on the old KMBY-AM (1240), Monterey...now KNRY (for its Cannery Row studios). Decent (but not great) audio...he's pulling a 0.7 with it at the moment, which beats his classical FM, KMZT-FM, which I believe simulcasts the L.A. K-Mozart (as KNRY simulcasts the "Unforgettable" format on KKGO HD-3), and comes in 0.1 behind the only other AM getting numbers, a news/talk.

I think people who propose changing call letters back to some distant point in a station's history, or swapping call letters and formats for no reason other than that person's opinion, or changing a station's branding when the existing branding already works ...

... all should be banned for life from posting on message boards.

I think people who propose changing call letters back to some distant point in a station's history, or swapping call letters and formats for no reason other than that person's opinion, or changing a station's branding when the existing branding already works ...

... all should be banned for life from posting on message boards.

Perhaps a bit extreme. I'm for stronger vetting (topical joke that may be too soon...just roll with me).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom