• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KMCQ is BACK!!!

Sunnylands (AKA Southsound Broadcasters) seems to like old Seattle area call signs, just like Tom Reed. Examples; KLSY (107.9 MHz) @ South Bend, KNBQ @ Central Park, and KMCQ @ Oak Harbor.

As far as the first song, it will likely be something like Jingle Bells. As far as I know, KNBQ is still running Christmas music.

I agree with Rob on "Kokomo", just as a tip of the hat to the two or three people on this board who just can't get enough of this now redundant joke.....

I agree with Rob on "Kokomo", just as a tip of the hat to the two or three people on this board who just can't get enough of this now redundant joke.....

Its life as a meme has still yet to equal the number of times it was absurdly brought up as a reason for perceived woes of KMCQ.

And all this time I had it backwards? I thought playing Kokomo was the reason some experts thought KMCQ was so wildly successful...

Maybe NOW Kelly and Rob understand why it never went over so well as a joke with the rest of us!

Don't forget that KMCQ were really legacy call letters in the Columbia River Gorge, when they had an FM signal that was strong enough to cover most of the cities in that area.

Maybe the "old" KMCQ big-playlist oldies format might be just the ticket for getting a loyal audience in the San Juans and coastal Skagit County. Or a previous AAA format that leans more acoustic and adult, and less garage-band and hardass, like what KINK and "The Mountain" were in their heyday. Skewing older in the San Juans, and being able to outdraw the Seattle and Vancouver-Victoria signals, means they have to be local, and different, for enough people who live there to really care. And to keep an audience interested for longer than 15 minutes. Those boat rides between islands do take some time (but are still probably quicker than what I-5 has been turning into...)

So "KMCQ" must be the station that will cause interference with 103.1 Victoria (35 miles) and 103.5 Vancouver (70 miles). Hopefully a GOOD format will come out of this, like golden oldies, AAA, or some type of community full-service station ala KWLE-1340. Whidbey Island DID have KWDB years ago on 1110.

Maybe NOW Kelly and Rob understand why it never went over so well as a joke with the rest of us!

That's because the joke was how intensely folks were analyzing, debating and criticizing a format that was, essentially an iPod on shuffle. KMCQ threads were like a trip to bizarro land - so unbelievable they were hilarious.

That's because the joke was how intensely folks were analyzing, debating and criticizing a format that was, essentially an iPod on shuffle. KMCQ threads were like a trip to bizarro land - so unbelievable they were hilarious.

How do you know so well about threads dated 2012-2014 when you signed up in May 2015?

Hilarious thread...

Call letters are only call letters, and have nothing to do with anything other than identification for the FCC.
Sunnylands is not the licensee of KMCQ. It is Everett-Snohomish Broadcasting.
Sunnylands is not Southsound, and anyway it's South Sound, not Southsound.
FM tuners built in recent history are digital, and can differentiate first adjacent channels.

Carry on...

Hilarious thread...

Call letters are only call letters, and have nothing to do with anything other than identification for the FCC.

Sure, Bill. So the fact that you own a station called "The Jet" which has call letters KJET is meaningless? Riiiiiight.

Oh, as for the KMCQ calls, the FCC says they are assigned to:
"LICENSEE: SUNNYLANDS BROADCASTING, LLC"

Sure, Bill. So the fact that you own a station called "The Jet" which has call letters KJET is meaningless? Riiiiiight.

When stations use easy to identify names, as in the case of "The Jet" whether the call letters match or not is irrelevant.

Listeners will use the dial position first in identifying a station, then the name and finally the call letters.

While many heritage stations that "grew up" using calls still use them, stations with names generally do not use the calls promotionally, putting them in the legal ID and nowhere else.

Funny. When a station changes format, the call letters are usually changed as well. If call letters truly didn't matter at all, KLSW would still be KMCQ, KLCK-FM would still be KWJZ, etc.

So can we at least break even and say call letters DO matter? If only on a superficial level?

Funny. When a station changes format, the call letters are usually changed as well. If call letters truly didn't matter at all, KLSW would still be KMCQ, KLCK-FM would still be KWJZ, etc.

So can we at least break even and say call letters DO matter? If only on a superficial level?

The main reason to change calls is "we've always done it that way".

Of late, many format changes have not been accompanied by call changes. Nobody cares.

About the only reason to change today is to link the name to the station at the buyer level. One place where calls are totally important is at the agency level. Ratings analysis and orders are done based on the calls. If the calls match the name of the station, it's easier for buyers in other cities to recognize the station.

When stations use easy to identify names, as in the case of "The Jet" whether the call letters match or not is irrelevant.

Listeners will use the dial position first in identifying a station, then the name and finally the call letters.

While many heritage stations that "grew up" using calls still use them, stations with names generally do not use the calls promotionally, putting them in the legal ID and nowhere else.

David - I think it's safe to say that most folks on this board already know what you wrote above. That wasn't the point of my post, and had you seen past posts about call letter meanings on this board you'd understand that.

David - I think it's safe to say that most folks on this board already know what you wrote above. That wasn't the point of my post, and had you seen past posts about call letter meanings on this board you'd understand that.

Many call letters had meaning. Some were obvious, others were obtuse. But today, most people don't care if an imaginary KRMW stands for "Rocky Mountain West" or some such.

Hilarious thread...

Sunnylands is not the licensee of KMCQ. It is Everett-Snohomish Broadcasting.
Sunnylands is not Southsound, and anyway it's South Sound, not Southsound.
FM tuners built in recent history are digital, and can differentiate first adjacent channels.

Carry on...

Laugh all you want Bill, 'cause the common denominator in all of these broadcast companies is Greg Smith.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom